<<

bhaviljain68

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 11, 2017 5:03 pm

Samsung Blu-Ray Player, Home Theater System, x265 and NAS

HI,

This is my first post here.

I have a very Specific Question.

I have a Seagate Central NAS drive In place. I use this to stream Video Files to my Samsung Smart TV H6400. All files play properly including x265 files. No issues with FWD/RWD, Pausing or video Quality.

Now I'm setting up a Home Theater System. I already have the components such as projector, receiver/amplifier and speaker in place.
I'm looking for a media player that would allow me to stream x265 files properly. After searching a lot I've found that no blu ray players support x265 natively. Roku does but its not officially available in my country (though i can get it).

So i've turned to serviio, before getting my NAS i use to stream using Serviio only.

Most of my files on my NAS are in x265 mostly 720p rips.

Can anyone tell me how i could enable a blu ray player that supports x264 UHD (Samsung Blu Ray H6500). to play x265 file using transcoding, like what profile and settings??

My set up would be a corei5/8gbRAM/SSD PC that is connected to a 1000 MBps switch, The NAS is also connected to that switch and the bluray player could be connected to the switch using ethernet or WiFI, both options are possible.

Please suggest if this setup would work, if no then how I could make something like this work? I need to know before purchasing anything.

Thank you.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat May 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Re: Samsung Blu-Ray Player, Home Theater System, x265 and NA

The only BD players that support H265 are the 4K UHD players. The Samsung should support H265 over DLNA, but I can't say for sure. I returned my Samsung UHD player because it didn't support both Dolby and DTS HD audio over DLNA, so I never really tried it with the few H265 files I have. I know even with my 4K TV I can't play every file I have with H265 video, but most do.

But if you are only looking to transcode the 265 video to 264, I would have thought the Samsung H profile would do that. I just looked at the profile, and it contains this line:: <Matches container="*" vCodec="h265" />

so it should capture the file.

I know you said x265 and I said H265, but I believe they are similar enough that they are interchangeable for this discussion. But if I'm wrong about that, then perhaps that line isn't capturing your files. Zip will have to weigh in on that.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

bhaviljain68

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 24, 2017 9:36 am

atc98092 wrote:The only BD players that support H265 are the 4K UHD players. The Samsung should support H265 over DLNA, but I can't say for sure. I returned my Samsung UHD player because it didn't support both Dolby and DTS HD audio over DLNA, so I never really tried it with the few H265 files I have. I know even with my 4K TV I can't play every file I have with H265 video, but most do.

But if you are only looking to transcode the 265 video to 264, I would have thought the Samsung H profile would do that. I just looked at the profile, and it contains this line:: <Matches container="*" vCodec="h265" />

so it should capture the file.

I know you said x265 and I said H265, but I believe they are similar enough that they are interchangeable for this discussion. But if I'm wrong about that, then perhaps that line isn't capturing your files. Zip will have to weigh in on that.

Hey Man,
Thank you for the advise, I ment to reply earlier, but decided to do so only after i got my equipment.
So instead of Samsung, I ad to buy a Panasonic BD380, as Samsung was not in stock and the seller wasn't sure when it would be made available.

I tested most profiles, I'll give you the breakdown of the top 3.

1. Samsung series E/F : Detects h264 videos in mp4 container (not sure of mkv container, don't have a file to test with), but doesn't detect h265 in mkv container. Playback of the detected files was perfect

2. Samsung series H : Does the opposite, which is surprising. It detects h265 in mkv but doesn't detect h264 files. Playback of the detected files was perfect

3. Panasonic BD Player : Surprisingly this one worked well, it detected all video files and was also able to play them, but the only problem is that the playback resolution is screwed. The width of the output video is a smaller than 1920px, in other words the video is taller, causing everything to look a little elongated. If There could be a way to fix it, this would be the best solution as this also give me dolby digital+ option in some videos.

I'll be honest, I don't know how to mess with profiles.xml, but I tried. I copied the h265 line from the Series-H profile and pasted it in the Series E/F profile under the header which was most similar to the one in the Series-H profile.
The effect was that it was now detecting the h265 files, but was unable to play them atall.

I'm using the latest Serviio (1.8).

Please help, If this works, i can save the 12k I will have to spend on getting a Roku 4.

Thanks.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed May 24, 2017 12:55 pm

There are some settings that can affect the aspect ratio, but I'm unfamiliar with them. DenyAll seems to know them well, so hopefully he'll be able to chime in here.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

bhaviljain68

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 24, 2017 12:59 pm

atc98092 wrote:There are some settings that can affect the aspect ratio, but I'm unfamiliar with them. DenyAll seems to know them well, so hopefully he'll be able to chime in here.

Ok, any way to send him a PM? or Send Zip A PM?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed May 24, 2017 5:56 pm

bhaviljain68 wrote:
atc98092 wrote:There are some settings that can affect the aspect ratio, but I'm unfamiliar with them. DenyAll seems to know them well, so hopefully he'll be able to chime in here.

You could PM either one and reference this thread. They would want to respond in the forum so any solution is available to all.
Dan

<<

bhaviljain68

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 25, 2017 6:25 am

atc98092 wrote:
bhaviljain68 wrote:

You could PM either one and reference this thread. They would want to respond in the forum so any solution is available to all.

I Visited their profile, but i did not faind a way to PM them. Under the "Contact xyz" tab, nothing is given.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu May 25, 2017 12:55 pm

I've been interstate for work.

So some answers:
I Visited their profile, but i did not faind a way to PM them
Hover your mouse over any users name and you will get the option to send that user a private message.

1. Samsung series E/F : Detects h264 videos in mp4 container (not sure of mkv container, don't have a file to test with), but doesn't detect h265 in mkv container. Playback of the detected files was perfect
Hmmm ... the E/F profile inherits the Samsung H profile. So given that the Samsung H profile supported H265 then this should also work in the E/F. Make sure after you change profiles you select Save (and just to be on the safe side, restart your PC to flush out cached files - I suspect this may have been the problem).

2. Samsung series H : Does the opposite, which is surprising. It detects h265 in mkv but doesn't detect h264 files. Playback of the detected files was perfect
Well the only MP4 file that the E/F profile handled differently was if thefile has LPCM audio. MediaInfo will tell you.

3. Panasonic BD Player : Surprisingly this one worked well, it detected all video files and was also able to play them, but the only problem is that the playback resolution is screwed. The width of the output video is a smaller than 1920px, in other words the video is taller, causing everything to look a little elongated. If There could be a way to fix it, this would be the best solution as this also give me dolby digital+ option in some videos.
That profile is a bit of a sledgehammer (it transcodes almost everything - so it's an overkill to solve your issue). Notwithstanding, if you want to use it, edit the profile and delete DAR=16:9" within that profile.
I wouldn't use this profile, but rather just retest the E/F profile, or add h265 transcoding to that profile if the retest doesn't work (as I stated, you shouldn't have to as it should inherit H265 handling from the H profile)

atc98092 wrote:I know you said x265 and I said H265, but I believe they are similar enough that they are interchangeable for this discussion. But if I'm wrong about that...
FYI, H265 is the video standard, X265 is a software library (there are others) used for encoding/decoding H265 files. The correct terminology is H265 (but yep, they are interchangeable for this discussion).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu May 25, 2017 1:11 pm

DenyAll wrote:
atc98092 wrote:I know you said x265 and I said H265, but I believe they are similar enough that they are interchangeable for this discussion. But if I'm wrong about that...
FYI, H265 is the video standard, X265 is a software library (there are others) used for encoding/decoding H265 files. The correct terminology is H265 (but yep, they are interchangeable for this discussion).

Thanks my friend. I thought so but appreciate the confirmation! :D
Dan

<<

bhaviljain68

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 26, 2017 7:02 am

Thank you for all the information.

DenyAll wrote:
Hmmm ... the E/F profile inherits the Samsung H profile. So given that the Samsung H profile supported H265 then this should also work in the E/F. Make sure after you change profiles you select Save (and just to be on the safe side, restart your PC to flush out cached files - I suspect this may have been the problem).

So if i understand correctly, I don't have to edit anything in the profiles.xml? Just restart the PC?

DenyAll wrote:
Well the only MP4 file that the E/F profile handled differently was if thefile has LPCM audio. MediaInfo will tell you.

Audio Stream in most of the files is AAC, I'll still verify with mediainfo.

DenyAll wrote:
That profile is a bit of a sledgehammer (it transcodes almost everything - so it's an overkill to solve your issue). Notwithstanding, if you want to use it, edit the profile and delete DAR=16:9" within that profile.
I wouldn't use this profile, but rather just retest the E/F profile, or add h265 transcoding to that profile if the retest doesn't work (as I stated, you shouldn't have to as it should inherit H265 handling from the H profile)

Ok, why is it bad if it transcodes everything?
Adding h265 transcoding to E/F profile...... how exactly am i supposed to do that? Coz i tried to do it by adding the <match vCodec=x265 container="*"> (Or something similar, I copied it from the H porfile and pasted it in the E/F profile, did't write anything maually)

Again, Thank you for the detailed answers, I'll test the E/F profile again and get back to you.

Update:
So I get the info from mediainfo app.

This is the h265 File
h265.png
h265.png (376.22 KiB) Viewed 13839 times

This is the mp4 file.
Mp4.png
Mp4.png (399.61 KiB) Viewed 13839 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri May 26, 2017 1:01 pm

There's nothing inherently wrong with transcoding everything, but it just takes a lot of computer power that isn't necessary when a file can be natively played. Also, with most players you lose the ability to fast forward and rewind with transcoded files. If your files have more than one audio track, you don't have an option to choose it with transcoding either, although there is now an option on the transcoding panel of the console to include all audio tracks. For my Roku players, that still didn't seem to allow selecting a different track, but other players might.
Dan

<<

bhaviljain68

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 27, 2017 6:19 am

atc98092 wrote:There's nothing inherently wrong with transcoding everything, but it just takes a lot of computer power that isn't necessary when a file can be natively played. Also, with most players you lose the ability to fast forward and rewind with transcoded files. If your files have more than one audio track, you don't have an option to choose it with transcoding either, although there is now an option on the transcoding panel of the console to include all audio tracks. For my Roku players, that still didn't seem to allow selecting a different track, but other players might.

Ok, got the idea. Computer Power is not really a problem, but still if i can make it more effecient, i'd like to

I tried the Panasonic BD profile after the edits suggested by denyAll, Played a 1080p file without any problems, everything worked FWD,RWD pausing etc. there was only 1 hiccup once the server lost connection.

So i think that a temporary solution to the problem is achieved.

Now if either one of you could guide me on hoe to edit the E/F profile to add h265 support explicitly.. I know its a lot to ask, but if you would please do it, It would be great.

And thank you for all the help both of you have given me. :)
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun May 28, 2017 8:20 am

I note your file has embedded subtitles ... what are your subtitle settings in Serviio Console?

...how to edit the E/F profile to add h265 support explicitly
To add H265 transcoding to the E/F profile, edit profiles.xml using your favourite text editor (I recommend Notepad+) and in the "Samsung TV / player (E/F-series)" profile add:
  Code:
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" maxVBitrate="15360">
   <Matches container="*" vCodec="h265" />
</Video>
just below the line: <Transcoding>.

Save and restart your PC. Ensure the E/F profile is selected. As I have said this shouldn't be needed as this functionality should be inherited from the Samsung H profile... but if it works for you then all good.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

bhaviljain68

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 29, 2017 6:18 am

DenyAll wrote:I note your file has embedded subtitles ... what are your subtitle settings in Serviio Console?

...how to edit the E/F profile to add h265 support explicitly
To add H265 transcoding to the E/F profile, edit profiles.xml using your favourite text editor (I recommend Notepad+) and in the "Samsung TV / player (E/F-series)" profile add:
  Code:
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" maxVBitrate="15360">
</Video>
just below the line: <Transcoding>.

Save and restart your PC. Ensure the E/F profile is selected. As I have said this shouldn't be needed as this functionality should be inherited from the Samsung H profile... but if it works for you then all good.

Thanks Mate, will try this and check.

Subtitles setting Enabled :
1 Enable subtitles.
2. Enable Extraction
3. Try to automatically detect subtitle character encoding.
4. Default Character coding is Set to UTF-8.

Subtitles setting disabled :
1. Burned-in subtitles. (in 99% cases I soft-mux subtitles manually, so there's usually never a file that would have burned-in subtitles)
2. Online Subtitles
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue May 30, 2017 12:52 pm

Not related to your issues but is there a reason you have Enable Extraction enabled? This will extract the subtitles from your file (only required if your device doesn't support embedded subtitles, and/or you are burning subtitles in).
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

bhaviljain68

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 30, 2017 1:06 pm

DenyAll wrote:Not related to your issues but is there a reason you have Enable Extraction enabled? This will extract the subtitles from your file (only required if your device doesn't support embedded subtitles, and/or you are burning subtitles in).

Ok.. I'll change that...

BTW i tried the E/F profile with the changes. And now it only loads h265 files.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed May 31, 2017 3:27 am

That's weird

Post your profile with the changes.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

bhaviljain68

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 31, 2017 6:17 am

DenyAll wrote:That's weird

Post your profile with the changes.

<Profile id="sam_ef" name="Samsung TV / player (E/F-series)" extendsProfileId="sam_h">
<Detection>
<UPnPSearch>
<FriendlyName>(^\[TV\][A-Z]{2}\d{2}(E|F)[A-Z]?\d{3,4}.*)|^\[TV\]\s?Samsung(\sLED.*)?</FriendlyName>
<ModelNumber>(1\.0)|(AllShare1\.0)</ModelNumber>
</UPnPSearch>
<HttpHeaders>
<!-- for BD players -->
<User-Agent>(.*SEC_HHP_BD-[EF].*)|(.*SEC_HHP_\[(HT|BD)\][EF].*)</User-Agent>
</HttpHeaders>
</Detection>
<Transcoding>
</Video>
<!-- transcode H264 MP4 files with LPCM audio -->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" forceInheritance="true">
<!-- Matches container="mpegts" aCodec="mp2" /-->
<Matches container="mp4" aCodec="lpcm" />
<!-- <Matches container="flv" vCodec="h264" /> -->
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" aCodec="flac" />
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" aCodec="vorbis" />
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" aCodec="truehd" />
<Matches container="mpegts" vCodec="h264" aCodec="truehd" />
<Matches container="ogg" vCodec="mpeg4" />
<Matches container="3gp" vCodec="h264" aCodec="amrnb" />
</Video>
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" forceInheritance="true">
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="mpeg2video" />
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="vp8" />
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="vc1" aCodec="truehd" />
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="h264" />
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="mjpeg" />
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="dvvideo" />
<Matches container="flv" vCodec="flv"/> <!-- some models support playing flv natively, in that case remove this line -->
<Matches container="flv" vCodec="h263"/>
<Matches container="flv" vCodec="vp6"/>
<Matches container="3gp" vCodec="h263" />
<Matches container="3gp" vCodec="mpeg4" /> <!-- some cameras produce mp4 codec that won't play -->
<Matches container="ogg" />
<Matches container="rm" /> <!-- some models might support RealVideo natively, in that case remove this line -->
</Video>
<!-- For dvr-ms files force mpeg2video transcoding to fix monotone timestamps problems-->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" forceVTranscoding="true" forceInheritance="true">
<Matches container="asf" vCodec="mpeg2video" />
<Matches container="asf" vCodec="mpeg1video" />
</Video>
</Transcoding>
</Profile>

This is the E/F profile.

Also attached the XML file incase you need it.
Attachments
profiles.xml
(156.87 KiB) Downloaded 587 times

Return to Samsung