FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

SAMSUNG H SERIES 2014

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:45 am

Re: SAMSUNG H SERIES 2014

Zip has been working the transcoding issue with the next version, and appears to have it resolved. I can play practically everything now using the latest beta version. Give him a little time, as he's working other issues right now. I also believe he will also be providing an H profile with the next version that should take care of your issues.

I don't know a planned release date for the next version. He's working it hard, but also welcomed a new child into his home. Give him a little breathing space :lol:
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Bitter

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:53 am

atc98092 wrote:Zip has been working the transcoding issue with the next version, and appears to have it resolved. I can play practically everything now using the latest beta version. Give him a little time, as he's working other issues right now. I also believe he will also be providing an H profile with the next version that should take care of your issues.

I don't know a planned release date for the next version. He's working it hard, but also welcomed a new child into his home. Give him a little breathing space :lol:

First of all Congratulations and all the best for the new family member!

I understand perfectly that in the new circumstance he has little free time to work on this, but please tell me there is hope to get the resume function working. I'm actually considering buying a new TV because of this inconvenience.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:56 pm

I'll have to test this resume you are referring to. I wasn't aware the D key did anything when playing local media. I know that I have used the pause key, and then hit play to continue playback. If I exit a movie and restart it, it will resume playback where I exited. but I have never used the D key for anything.

This is with both a Samsung BD player, as well as my HU model TV.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:47 am

Bitter wrote:
atc98092 wrote:Zip has been working the transcoding issue with the next version, and appears to have it resolved. I can play practically everything now using the latest beta version. Give him a little time, as he's working other issues right now. I also believe he will also be providing an H profile with the next version that should take care of your issues.

First of all Congratulations and all the best for the new family member!

I understand perfectly that in the new circumstance he has little free time to work on this, but please tell me there is hope to get the resume function working. I'm actually considering buying a new TV because of this inconvenience.

Why don't you apply for the betatester group and try to help develop this and make sure it's there in 1.5? PM me if you want in.
<<

Bitter

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:36 am

I've got some time yesterday to investigate the issue and I found that resume works, but only starting with the second time a file has been opened: I've opened a file that had never been streamed by Serviio before, let it play for a while and then stopped it. The TV sent the X_SetBookmark request and serviio returns the answer OK. After this I opened the file again and it started to play from the beginng; once again I let it play for a while and stopped it. Now when I reopened the file it resumed correctly from the previous position. I have restarted the TV and this time playback resumed correctly using the same file. It didn't come to my mind to restart the serviio server to see if resume worked correctly with the same file.
Looking at the Wireshark capture that I did I noticed that when resume worked there was an additional Get request from the TV.

I've attached some Wireshark screenshots.
Attachments
Wireshark screenshots.zip
(321.45 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
<<

nroberto13

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:08 pm

Hello everybody,

facing some strange issues with my 40h7000. trying to feed a livestream from tvheadend ( dvb-c capture ) into serviio, and when I try to play the stream on the tv, it says that the format is not supported. the same setup worked flawless on my previous 40d8000 tv. tvheadend is also able to record from from dvb-c. I added the recorded file into serviio library, and guess what, it works like a charm. I'm sure tvheadend doesn't do any transcoding while recording, because everything happens on a router, with 700MHz MIPS CPU, which is far from being able to transcode anything. So what tvheadend does is takes the stream ( mpeg-ps ) from dvb-c and writes it out to the disk in mkv container.

any ideas why the livestream doesn't want to play on the tv?

PS forgot to mention, tried both profiles from this thread. with the sam_h the tv throws the error immediately with sam_h_nt takes some seconds while the error pops, so I guess with sam_h_nt tries to read the stream and load it, but with sam_h doesn't even try to read/load the stream.
<<

darkvoid

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi,

I have a 48HU7500 TV and with serviio 1.42 Samsung e/f profile lots of MKV did not play. But with version 1.5 and new H-profile I can play most of them again execpt a couple of MKV files at 4K. If I copy the files to a USB they play well on the TV so it's a serviio problem. Can someone help me?

Example of one of the files:
  Code:
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID                                 : mp42
File size                                : 3.70 GiB
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 29.5 Mbps
Writing application                      : x264 0.129.0+2936M cd78a73

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L5.2
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 29.2 Mbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 30.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 4 096 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 1.896
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 59.940 fps
Standard                                 : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.055

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Codec ID                                 : 40
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 316 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel(s)_Original                      : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 40.6 MiB (1%)
Source stream size                       : 40.6 MiB (1%)
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:13 pm

the DLNA player and USB player are different implementations, so the fact that it runs via USB is not relevant. Obviously there is something in the file encoding that the TV doesn't like - it might be the resolution, or anything else really.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:10 pm

darkvoid, my guess is the video codec. I can play all of my MKVs or M2TS files, but none of them have a level above 4.1 or 4.2. Yours is L5.2. You probably need to add a transcoding line that captures MKV containers with the AVC codec with a level qualifier. In fact, this line should do it, in case you have something other than MKV with the same codec:

<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />

Add it to the first transcoding block of the Samsung H series profile, directly under this line:

<Matches container="wtv" vCodec="h264"/>
Dan

<<

darkvoid

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:02 am

Yes! thank you!
Adding <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.2"/> solved the problem for the remaining MKV files I has not able to play.
<<

christophernut

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:19 pm

Just updated to Serviio 1.5 to see if the thumbnail problem is fixed for my H series and they are still squashed..anyone know a quick fix for the profiles file? They also seem a bit squashed on my F Series too..
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:50 am

christophernut wrote:Just updated to Serviio 1.5 to see if the thumbnail problem is fixed for my H series and they are still squashed..anyone know a quick fix for the profiles file? They also seem a bit squashed on my F Series too..

If I use the Samsung H series profile, my thumbnails are fine. When I used the generic profile, they were squashed, as you say. Are you certain the correct profile is assigned to your set? I only ask because I've had trouble with all of my Samsung devices being accurately recognized and being assigned the correct profile. If the device IP address changes (it can happen if you don't assign static IP, and I have too many things on my network for that), Serviio defaults back to the generic profile.

One other thing, since I don't know your exact TV model. On my HU8550, when I select Serviio, I have the option of Video, Audio, Pictures, or All. If I don't select All, I get messed up thumbnails, as well as the folder icons themselves.

My H Series Blu-Ray player is almost invisible. It shows up in the Serviio console by IP address only. The type never appears, and Device Spy can't see it.
Dan

<<

christophernut

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi,

The model of the TV is a UE48H6400 and Serviio plays everything I can throw at it. I was using the modified profile provided by Karnith before the 1.5 update which has a H series profile as standard. Both displayed the movie posters in a squashed way.

I am beginning to think it is the native resolution of the thumbnails of Samsung TVs as my F series is the same.

thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:17 am

Did you see what I said about the selection options on the Samsung, about Videos, Audio, Pictures, or All? Just wanted to double-check. If I choose Video, the thumbnails look exactly like you say. If I choose All, they look fine. Just wanted to make sure you hadn't overlooked that. :D
Dan

<<

christophernut

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:10 pm

Ahh..solved! Bizarre that the movie posters display perfect when you select 'All' but when you select 'Video' they are distorted. Thanks though!
<<

wnorthrup

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:10 am

I have Samsung UN65HU8500, essentially identical to UN65HU8550. I'm using latest Serviio version which came with an "H" profile. Initially, Serviio would not reliably play my MP4 files. Freeze ups that usually started to play again. I discovered that the H profile was not being used, so I manually changed to the H profile. Same problem, only now it will freeze and then say "Unsupported File Type" or some such. I have the transcoding check box not checked in Serviio console. When I serve the SAME MP4 files with the standard Windows 8 server, they play just fine. I would rather use Serviio.

Does anyone know if the "HU" series is that different from the "H" series? Does HU need a specific profile?

Thanks.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:46 pm

wnorthrup wrote:I have Samsung UN65HU8500, essentially identical to UN65HU8550. I'm using latest Serviio version which came with an "H" profile. Initially, Serviio would not reliably play my MP4 files. Freeze ups that usually started to play again. I discovered that the H profile was not being used, so I manually changed to the H profile. Same problem, only now it will freeze and then say "Unsupported File Type" or some such. I have the transcoding check box not checked in Serviio console. When I serve the SAME MP4 files with the standard Windows 8 server, they play just fine. I would rather use Serviio.

Does anyone know if the "HU" series is that different from the "H" series? Does HU need a specific profile?

Thanks.

No, my HU8550 works fine with the H Series profile. I only have a few MP4 videos, but they play fine. can you provide the media info for one that doesn't play? There could be something in the file that is out of the ordinary. Remember that the file type (MP4, MKV, etc.) is just a container, and there are a multitude of different types of codec combinations that could be within it.
Dan

<<

wnorthrup

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:45 pm

atc98092 wrote:
wnorthrup wrote:I have Samsung UN65HU8500, essentially identical to UN65HU8550. I'm using latest Serviio version which came with an "H" profile. Initially, Serviio would not reliably play my MP4 files. Freeze ups that usually started to play again. I discovered that the H profile was not being used, so I manually changed to the H profile. Same problem, only now it will freeze and then say "Unsupported File Type" or some such. I have the transcoding check box not checked in Serviio console. When I serve the SAME MP4 files with the standard Windows 8 server, they play just fine. I would rather use Serviio.

Thanks.

No, my HU8550 works fine with the H Series profile. I only have a few MP4 videos, but they play fine. can you provide the media info for one that doesn't play? There could be something in the file that is out of the ordinary. Remember that the file type (MP4, MKV, etc.) is just a container, and there are a multitude of different types of codec combinations that could be within it.

Happy to, but not sure how to get that info for you. Don't think windows properties are what you need.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:33 am

There are two ways to get the media information. One is using a program called MediaInfo. (http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo). Simple right click on the file and it gathers everything. However, on a few occasions I've seen Mediainfo miss the audio codec, so there's another method. This requires running an FFMPEG command from the DOS prompt (man, I haven't used that term in a while!). The issue with this is you need to type everything exactly, including full paths to the FFMPEG and video files.

Since you are using Windows, here's the full path to FFMPEG: C:\Program Files\Serviio\Lib\ffmpeg.exe

You will have to determine the full path to your video files. In Windows, the default video path for a user is C:\users\your_user_name\videos. Your location could be different.

Now, to run the command, open a command prompt window and type this:
  Code:
C:\program files\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i "full path to your file here"

Notice I put the full file path in quotes. If there's a space anywhere in the name, it will fail without the quotes. Also, after ffmpeg.exe, that's a lower case I (eye), not an l (ell).

Now copy everything that is returned after you run that command and paste it here.
Dan

<<

wnorthrup

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:30 pm

atc98092 wrote:There are two ways to get the media information. One is using a program called MediaInfo. (http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo). Simple right click on the file and it gathers everything. However, on a few occasions I've seen Mediainfo miss the audio codec, so there's another method. This requires running an FFMPEG command from the DOS prompt (man, I haven't used that term in a while!). The issue with this is you need to type everything exactly, including full paths to the FFMPEG and video files.

Since you are using Windows, here's the full path to FFMPEG: C:\Program Files\Serviio\Lib\ffmpeg.exe

You will have to determine the full path to your video files. In Windows, the default video path for a user is C:\users\your_user_name\videos. Your location could be different.

Now, to run the command, open a command prompt window and type this:
  Code:
C:\program files\Serviio\lib\ffmpeg.exe -i "full path to your file here"

Notice I put the full file path in quotes. If there's a space anywhere in the name, it will fail without the quotes. Also, after ffmpeg.exe, that's a lower case I (eye), not an l (ell).

Now copy everything that is returned after you run that command and paste it here.

Might be a Samsung issue. I forced it back through setup, it downloaded a new update and rebooted. After that, it seems to be working, at least it played a movie for over 30 minutes with no issues. Thank you for the info. If this comes up again, I will post the file info from FFMPEG.
PreviousNext

Return to Samsung