I can't see my external HDD files

<<

wms_blanco

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:12 pm

I can't see my external HDD files

Hi.

I have a HDD connected to a router
I installed Serviio (free version) for Windows on my PC to share the files between the HDD and the TVs or others devices.
I added the folder into the Serviio library, but when I try to see any movie o file from my TVs or even the cell phone, I can't see nothing.

Could you help me? Why I can't see my external HDD files?

I can see all the folders and files if they are accessed from my PC's explorer or even from my cell phone (using ES File Explorer), so the net and the HDD are working fine.
If I take some movie to my PC and I share it through serviio I can see it and play it.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:56 pm

Re: I can't see my external HDD files

Remote drives that cannot be accessed are almost always a permissions issue. Even though you can browse the files from Explorer, you are accessing the drive with different permissions than used by Serviio. This is because the Serviio service runs under a Local Service user account. This account by default does not have permission to access things not connected directly to the computer, i.e. your network drive.

There are three solutions.
One: make sure security is completely turned off on the hard drive connected to the router, so anything can connect to it. However, it may not be possible, depending on your router controls.
Two: change the user account that the Serviio service uses to your personal account. If you don't know how to do that, you can do a quick web search or PM me and I'll explain it in detail.
Three: remove the hard drive from the router and plug it directly into your Serviio computer. If you still want others on the network to be able to access it directly, then create a Windows share to the drive.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

wms_blanco

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks a lot.

I have changed the Logon user information in the SERVIIO Windows service and use "\\" to add a folder into the library instead of an unit letter and now I can access to my external HDD movies.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:59 pm

Excellent! :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Samsung