FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung UE48JU7500 Series TV - DTS to AC3

<<

Adam86

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:14 am

Samsung UE48JU7500 Series TV - DTS to AC3

I just recently bought a Samsung UE48JU7500 Series TV and have been having a look at the DLNA features this TV has.

Because my AMP is not 4K capable I have plugged my devices into the TV and using ARC to relay all the audio to the amp. The TV is set to BitStream and Dolby Digital as the format - you can choose PCM/DTS/Dolby Digital from the TV's menu. I usually use MediaPortal on the PC as my choice for all my Movies/TV playback - I use the Audio Renderer that MediaPortal has and that converts everything in surround to Dolby Digital so the above setting on the TV works perfectly.

I've played about with the DLNA on this TV, and found that anything with Dolby Digital works absolutely fine, but anything with DTS Audio just comes out as PCM 2CH unless I go into the TV's menu and change it to DTS. To make life easier it would be great to use something like Serviio to transcode the audio only from DTS to AC3 - would this be achievable with Serviio as obviously the Video doesn't need transcoding as I believe the TV can play most formats natively.

I found a blog where somebody had a simple configuration that converted any file with DTS into another format and just muxed the video but my Samsung TV just came up with "cannot play this content" so I'm not sure where to go from here.

The configuration I tried was this:

<Profile id="Test" name="Test" extendsProfileId="1">
<Transcoding>
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="ac3">
<Matches container="*" aCodec="dca" />
</Video>
</Transcoding>
</Profile>

It would be great if anyone could assist me.
Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Re: Samsung UE48JU7500 Series TV - DTS to AC3

Yes, Samsung does not handle the incoming audio as well as they should. In my opinion, when you have it set to bitstream, it should just send out whatever the TV is receiving. It shouldn't matter if it's AC3 or DTS. I can't remember for certain, but I thought mine usually did that. However, I also know that sometimes even when I have mine set to bitstream, I see PCM showing on my AVR display. It just seems that at times it ignores the bitstream setting.

Naturally, if the audio is TrueHD or Master Audio, the TV has to downconvert, because neither optical or ARC supports HD audio. For those videos I have, I just select a different audio track. When I rip my Blu-Ray discs, I always include both the lossy and HD audio track. If I use my BD player to watch the movie, instead of the TV DLNA function, I can listen to the HD audio. Therefore, I want both available.

The current Samsung H Series profile (there will be a J profile in the next version) does not filter for DTS audio. However, you could add what you list here to the H profile if you'd like. I would leave off the aBitrate command, as it isn't necessary. Add this after the <Transcoding> tag but before the <Audio> tag. Make sure you don't put it inside an existing <Video> section. After you edit the profiles.xml file, Serviio must be restarted. Easiest way to do this is a reboot. If Serviio won't start afterwards, you've made a typo somewhere. Save a copy of the original file so you can restore it if necessary.

<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" >
</Video>
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Adam86

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:26 pm

Yes I agree 100%, I am pretty sure that my old Sony Bravia used to just have the sound output over ARC set to auto and do as required but this just seems silly having to change it manually for each format that is out there.

Does ARC on the J Series definitely not support HD Audio as the TV does have a setting to enable it?

I will give this a whirl with the H Series profile and test this out to see if it works - I hope it does at it would be nice to know that DLNA can be used for content playback too.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
<<

Adam86

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:57 pm

OK so I made the changes to profiles so the Samsung H profile looks like this now:

Code:
   <Profile id="sam_h" name="Samsung TV / player (H-series)" extendsProfileId="1">
      <ContentDirectoryMessageBuilder>org.serviio.upnp.service.contentdirectory.SamsungDLNAMessageBuilder</ContentDirectoryMessageBuilder>
      <ResourceTransportProtocolHandler>org.serviio.upnp.protocol.http.transport.SamsungWiseLinkProtocolHandler</ResourceTransportProtocolHandler>
      <Detection>
         <UPnPSearch>
            <FriendlyName>(^\[TV\][A-Z]{2}\d{2}H[A-Z]?\d{3,4}.*)</FriendlyName>
            <ModelNumber>(1\.0)|(AllShare1\.0)</ModelNumber>
         </UPnPSearch>
         <HttpHeaders>
            <!-- for BD players -->
            <User-Agent>(.*SEC_HHP_BD-H.*)|(.*SEC_HHP_\[(HT|BD)\]H.*)|(\[BD\]H.*)</User-Agent>
         </HttpHeaders>
      </Detection>
      <DeviceDescription>
           <ExtraElements>
              &lt;sec:ProductCap&gt;smi,DCM10,getMediaInfo.sec,getCaptionInfo.sec&lt;/sec:ProductCap&gt;
            &lt;sec:X_ProductCap&gt;smi,DCM10,getMediaInfo.sec,getCaptionInfo.sec&lt;/sec:X_ProductCap&gt;
           </ExtraElements>
        </DeviceDescription>
        <MediaFormatProfiles>
            <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-mkv">MATROSKA</MediaFormatProfile>
            <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-msvideo" name="">AVI</MediaFormatProfile>
            <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="audio/x-flac">FLAC</MediaFormatProfile>
        </MediaFormatProfiles>
      <ContentDirectoryDefinitionFilter>org.serviio.upnp.service.contentdirectory.definition.SamsungContentDirectoryDefinitionFilter</ContentDirectoryDefinitionFilter>   
      <H264LevelCheck>FILE_ATTRIBUTES</H264LevelCheck>
      <Transcoding>         
         <!-- Transcode all h264 video with HIGH/MAIN > Level 4.1 on MPEG-TS stream with MPEG2VIDEO and ac3 audio transcoding -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="192" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high_10" />
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="main" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h265" />
                <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="mpeg4" aCodec="lpcm" />
                <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="dvvideo" />
                <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="mjpeg" />
         </Video>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="wtv" vCodec="h264"/> 
         </Video>   
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="wtv" />
         </Video>
         <!-- transcode wmv2-wmav2, not: wmv3-wmapro it works ok on E series-->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="wmv2" />
         </Video>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3">
         </Video>
         <Audio targetContainer="lpcm" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="mp4" />
            <Matches container="ogg" />
            <Matches container="adts" />
            <Matches container="mp2" />
            <Matches container="wavpack" />
            <Matches container="mpc" />
                <Matches container="ape" />
                <Matches container="asf" />
         </Audio>
      </Transcoding>
      <OnlineTranscoding>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384">
            <Matches container="applehttp" vCodec="h264"/>
         </Video>      
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384">
            <Matches container="asf" /> <!-- mms -->
            <Matches container="flv" /> <!-- transcoding all flv streams, even h264, to avoild premature disconnects, to avoid this, use Samsung C/D profile -->
         </Video>
      </OnlineTranscoding>
      <HardSubsTranscoding>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="192"/>
      </HardSubsTranscoding>
      <AutomaticImageRotation>true</AutomaticImageRotation>
        <LimitImageResolution>false</LimitImageResolution>
        <Subtitles>
         <SoftSubs mime-type="smi/caption" />
      </Subtitles>
      <AllowChunkedTransfer>false</AllowChunkedTransfer>
   </Profile>

But unfortunately I get the same error as I got when I setup the Test profile saying the selected file type is not supported. As soon as i switch back to Generic profile it then plays but obviously 2ch as explained above.

:-(
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:55 pm

Adam86 wrote:Yes I agree 100%, I am pretty sure that my old Sony Bravia used to just have the sound output over ARC set to auto and do as required but this just seems silly having to change it manually for each format that is out there.

Does ARC on the J Series definitely not support HD Audio as the TV does have a setting to enable it?

I will give this a whirl with the H Series profile and test this out to see if it works - I hope it does at it would be nice to know that DLNA can be used for content playback too.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

No, HD audio is not supported via ARC. From what I have read, the ARC bandwidth is no greater than the optical connection. That isn't sufficient to support HD audio. While DTS runs at 1.5 Mbps (and is supported via ARC and optical) HD audio (both DTS and Dolby) can exceed 5 Mbps, and that's too much for the link. I was hoping, but no such luck.

There is a menu option that mentions HD, but it is for audio only tracks, and isn't related to the audio contained in videos.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:03 pm

Adam86 wrote:OK so I made the changes to profiles so the Samsung H profile looks like this now:

Code:
   <Profile id="sam_h" name="Samsung TV / player (H-series)" extendsProfileId="1">
      <ContentDirectoryMessageBuilder>org.serviio.upnp.service.contentdirectory.SamsungDLNAMessageBuilder</ContentDirectoryMessageBuilder>
      <ResourceTransportProtocolHandler>org.serviio.upnp.protocol.http.transport.SamsungWiseLinkProtocolHandler</ResourceTransportProtocolHandler>
      <Detection>
         <UPnPSearch>
            <FriendlyName>(^\[TV\][A-Z]{2}\d{2}H[A-Z]?\d{3,4}.*)</FriendlyName>
            <ModelNumber>(1\.0)|(AllShare1\.0)</ModelNumber>
         </UPnPSearch>
         <HttpHeaders>
            <!-- for BD players -->
            <User-Agent>(.*SEC_HHP_BD-H.*)|(.*SEC_HHP_\[(HT|BD)\]H.*)|(\[BD\]H.*)</User-Agent>
         </HttpHeaders>
      </Detection>
      <DeviceDescription>
           <ExtraElements>
              &lt;sec:ProductCap&gt;smi,DCM10,getMediaInfo.sec,getCaptionInfo.sec&lt;/sec:ProductCap&gt;
            &lt;sec:X_ProductCap&gt;smi,DCM10,getMediaInfo.sec,getCaptionInfo.sec&lt;/sec:X_ProductCap&gt;
           </ExtraElements>
        </DeviceDescription>
        <MediaFormatProfiles>
            <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-mkv">MATROSKA</MediaFormatProfile>
            <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-msvideo" name="">AVI</MediaFormatProfile>
            <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="audio/x-flac">FLAC</MediaFormatProfile>
        </MediaFormatProfiles>
      <ContentDirectoryDefinitionFilter>org.serviio.upnp.service.contentdirectory.definition.SamsungContentDirectoryDefinitionFilter</ContentDirectoryDefinitionFilter>   
      <H264LevelCheck>FILE_ATTRIBUTES</H264LevelCheck>
      <Transcoding>         
         <!-- Transcode all h264 video with HIGH/MAIN > Level 4.1 on MPEG-TS stream with MPEG2VIDEO and ac3 audio transcoding -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="192" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high_10" />
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="main" levelGreaterThan="4.2" />
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h265" />
                <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="mpeg4" aCodec="lpcm" />
                <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="dvvideo" />
                <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="mjpeg" />
         </Video>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="wtv" vCodec="h264"/> 
         </Video>   
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="wtv" />
         </Video>
         <!-- transcode wmv2-wmav2, not: wmv3-wmapro it works ok on E series-->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="wmv2" />
         </Video>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3">
         </Video>
         <Audio targetContainer="lpcm" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="mp4" />
            <Matches container="ogg" />
            <Matches container="adts" />
            <Matches container="mp2" />
            <Matches container="wavpack" />
            <Matches container="mpc" />
                <Matches container="ape" />
                <Matches container="asf" />
         </Audio>
      </Transcoding>
      <OnlineTranscoding>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384">
            <Matches container="applehttp" vCodec="h264"/>
         </Video>      
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384">
            <Matches container="asf" /> <!-- mms -->
            <Matches container="flv" /> <!-- transcoding all flv streams, even h264, to avoild premature disconnects, to avoid this, use Samsung C/D profile -->
         </Video>
      </OnlineTranscoding>
      <HardSubsTranscoding>
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="192"/>
      </HardSubsTranscoding>
      <AutomaticImageRotation>true</AutomaticImageRotation>
        <LimitImageResolution>false</LimitImageResolution>
        <Subtitles>
         <SoftSubs mime-type="smi/caption" />
      </Subtitles>
      <AllowChunkedTransfer>false</AllowChunkedTransfer>
   </Profile>

But unfortunately I get the same error as I got when I setup the Test profile saying the selected file type is not supported. As soon as i switch back to Generic profile it then plays but obviously 2ch as explained above.

:-(

What's funny is that the generic profile does no transcoding. I must be missing something for that code line. I see other profiles have it pretty much the same, but Samsung must do something different.

I just tested mine, and they've obviously done something to their audio settings in the firmware. I too am now getting 2 channel PCM when loading a Blu-Ray rip, and I have to go into the menu to choose DTS or DD (depending on the track). It wasn't that way earlier. I wonder if it's (for me) because the HD audio is the default track for my HD videos. I seem to remember that with DVD rips (as well as Netflix or Amazon) the sould goes to DD automatically.
Dan

<<

Adam86

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:16 pm

Yeah I've had to switch back to the Generic Profile for now unfortunately - any other thoughts on a way around this?

Ta
<<

Adam86

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:22 pm

Hello,

I don't suppose all these months on there is any fix for this issue is there?

Thanks

Return to Samsung