FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Server appears only after a few seconds after turning on TV

<<

venkyrs

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Server appears only after a few seconds after turning on TV

I have a C-Series Samsung TV and serviio has been working great with it. I have one annoying issue and hopefully someone can help me out. I have installed the latest version 0.5.2 and every time I power up my TV, I have to wait for about 30 to 60 seconds before serviio is detected by TV.

This was not happening in older versions of serviio. I know this for a fact because I have a logitech remote and I have an activity programmed to power on TV and then select the server for listening to music. Now this activity always fails because the server is not detected immediately on TV power ON.

I tried setting -Dserviio.advertisementDuration to like 10 seconds...but this did not help. TV started popping a message every 10 seconds that a new server was detected.

Any ideas why this is happening now and how to fix this?

Thanks much.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Re: Server appears only after a few seconds after turning on

something must be funny with your setup as im running a C series and i dont experience this issue. Im thinking maybe a netwrk issue.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

venkyrs

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks Cerberus for the quick response.

It turned out Norton Anti Virus was messing with serviio traffic. I completely uninstalled Norton and it worked without any issues.
Now I have reinstalled Norton and running it with bare minimum required features only.

So far so good. I will try and identify the component in Norton causing this issue.

Quick question...as per FAQ I have opened up TCP port 8895 and UDP port 1900 in the firewall.
Should I open up any other ports??
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:21 pm

venkyrs wrote:Thanks Cerberus for the quick response.

It turned out Norton Anti Virus was messing with serviio traffic. I completely uninstalled Norton and it worked without any issues.
Now I have reinstalled Norton and running it with bare minimum required features only.

So far so good. I will try and identify the component in Norton causing this issue.

Quick question...as per FAQ I have opened up TCP port 8895 and UDP port 1900 in the firewall.
Should I open up any other ports??

nope that all you should need open mate :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

venkyrs

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:18 pm

I still have this issue. I thought it was the anti-virus but looks like it is not.
I do not have any anti virus installed but I still see this annoying issue.

But I have discovered something else. After complete restart of the PC serviio is detected immediately by my TV.
No problem until my PC goes to sleep and wakes up.
After wake up the problem is back....TV can detect serviio only after few seconds (maybe 20-40 seconds)

My PC is running windows 7 64bit.

Any ideas.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Check your network driver. It sounds like it is staying asleep to long. What is the model and version of your network device? Wired or Wireless?

Doing some more searching it seams that this is a problem with Win 7. If you search on google, there is quite a few forum topics about this and how to prevent it.

Another user found that a router with custom firmware was causing it. I guess it was slowing down getting IP address. You might want to give computer a static IP address and see if it helps.

Not sure if any of these hints will help you, but I hope they do.
Last edited by moltra on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
<<

venkyrs

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:43 pm

The PC has a wired connection. I do not have trouble accessing the internet from this PC immediately after waking from sleep.
Also after wake up....every time I power off and on the TV serviio takes few seconds to show up.
<<

venkyrs

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:47 pm

The network device is Realtek RTL8111C chip.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:48 pm

It might be the TV then that is having trouble getting the IP Address. Have you tried to setup a static IP Address on the TV? Maybe they are fighting over the IP Address.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
<<

venkyrs

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:52 pm

TV is using static IP.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:58 pm

Maybe you can search on the net and find some software that will monitor your network and you can time how long it takes for the TV network card to come online after waking up from sleep. This might help you figure out where the problem lies.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:14 pm

i wouldnt advise using the Sleep or hybinate function on windows on the pc running serviio, its bound to cause issues.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

venkyrs

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:57 am

Finally I figured out the problem. The Cisco VPN client installed in my PC was causing this problem.
I uninstalled it and everything seems to be working fine.

I installed wire shark and looked at the network traffic. I noticed that
my PC was sending out TCP packets to my work PC even though I was not connected
to my work network. So I uninstalled VPN client and everything is working good!!

Thanks for the help.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:51 am

Glad you figured it out and thanks for letting us know what was causing it. It is one more thing that we can refer to others having problems.
Mark
Beta Tester Group

Return to Samsung