FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Network connection drops when using "step".

<<

mikecue

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Network connection drops when using "step".

I'm brand new to Serviio. I have a Samsung UN40J6200AF with firmware 1028. I'm testing with both an MP4 file and a MPEG 2 file from a desktop workstation through our office network to the Samsung. Playback is fine. But the "step" function (hit <pause> then hit <pause> again to step one frame) causes the network to drop. There is no recovery from this. The file must play again from the beginning when this occurs. Has anyone seen this behavior?
Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:42 am

Re: Network connection drops when using "step".

What profile is Serviio using for your set? It will show on the console/status tab. It should be Samsung TV J Series. I haven't noticed that behavior with mine, but I'm not certain I've ever tried the step function.

Also, is your TV wired to the network or wireless?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

mikecue

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:50 am

Thanks for the reply. I am in fact set to "J". So if you have a chance to give "step" a test...I'd be interested in the results. I'm on a wired network, BTW.
<<

mikecue

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:17 pm

Looking into this further:
STEP fails even when using a crossover cable between Samsung and computer with static IP addresses.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:42 am

So I just snuck into the bedroom to test this before my wife went to bed. Fired up a random video, which was in the MKV container with MPEG2 video and AC3 audio. Hit pause (actually the OK button), then hit it again. I didn't get a step, but instead just paused and then resumed play. I did use fast forward several times. Never lost connection or playback. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if I overlooked the step function and try again. But so far no issues. Ny TV is hardwired on my gigabit network.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

mikecue

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:34 am

Thanks very much for the test! I should have mentioned that we desired to let the Samsung discover the DLNA stream by itself (no client loaded) by selecting Serviio as a source. We were then using the media control buttons at the bottom of the Samsung remote control to play/stop/FF/ and "Step".
Thanks for the input!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:54 am

mikecue wrote:Thanks very much for the test! I should have mentioned that we desired to let the Samsung discover the DLNA stream by itself (no client loaded) by selecting Serviio as a source. We were then using the media control buttons at the bottom of the Samsung remote control to play/stop/FF/ and "Step".
Thanks for the input!

I believe the remote for my TV is different from yours. I don't have media controls (it's one of those "simplified" remotes). It does have a play/pause button, but it doesn't appear to have the ability to step frame by frame. There is an on-screen menu that the remote can control, but I've never paid any attention to it so can't say if I can step with it. But no matter how I stopped, paused and started a video I never lost my network connection.

Is the step necessary for your desired function? What exactly are you attempting to have the TV do for you? Perhaps another solution can be offered.
Dan

<<

mikecue

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:40 am

Well, the truth of the matter is that we don't actually NEED <step>, but that it IS a function present on the remote control of the smart TVs we purchased for our small office. There is a need to stream a video to one or several TVs once in a while. Murphy's law dictates that someone will find the <step> function, try to use it, lose network connectivity, and blame US (the tech guys who provided the capability). We just can't use Serviio unless it is as bullet-proof as possible. So with this issue present (discovered by our chief button-pusher within about 5 minutes of picking up the remote) we have to come up with another solution. We preferred Serviio. I have not had a chance to fool around with this any further for the past couple of days. I'll be back on the case with a test of older versions soon. Despite being in the generally described "media" business, this is my first exposure to DLNA. Like most technical things, I find that the great thing about standards is that there are so many versions of them!
Thanks for your interest for sure!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Mike, any chance you could get a generic remote that doesn't allow (or have) a step function? One of the really cheap ones might not have a button for that. Problem solved! :lol:

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/GE-3-Device-Univ ... +tv+remote would just have a bunch of buttons that did nothing.
Dan

<<

mikecue

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:41 am

That's actually a pretty good idea! :D

Return to Samsung