FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung K8500 DLNA - DOLBY TRUE HD DTS HD

<<

Individual47

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:13 am

Samsung K8500 DLNA - DOLBY TRUE HD DTS HD

Hello there!

I have a problem playing DTS HD or DOLBY DIGITAL TRUE HD mkv soundtracks via my blueray player with Serviio.
Every of my file played in simple DTS or Dolby Digital. My reciver and my bluray player works perfetly via Bluray Discks.
Is there a problem with my Serviio settings or my Bluray player can't play these kind of soundtrack via DLNA.

Thank u for answering and sry couse of my english! :roll:
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Re: Samsung K8500 DLNA - DOLBY TRUE HD DTS HD

Blu ray manufacturers appear to be removing support for HD audio over DLNA. I had older Sony players that would pass both through to my AVR. But my current one only passes one of them (can't remember if it's DTS or Dolby). When I contacted Sony, I couldn't get a straight answer, but have found in other forums that it is happening with other brands as well. I also bought the K8500 4K player, and returned it because it didn't pass HD audio from DLNA sources.

Nothing can be done from the Serviio side of things. :(
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Individual47

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 am

atc98092 wrote:Blu ray manufacturers appear to be removing support for HD audio over DLNA. I had older Sony players that would pass both through to my AVR. But my current one only passes one of them (can't remember if it's DTS or Dolby). When I contacted Sony, I couldn't get a straight answer, but have found in other forums that it is happening with other brands as well. I also bought the K8500 4K player, and returned it because it didn't pass HD audio from DLNA sources.

Thank u for the answer!!!
And a popcorn VTEN will do the job?:) (4k playback and high def audio?)
:twisted:
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:17 pm

Individual47 wrote:
atc98092 wrote:Blu ray manufacturers appear to be removing support for HD audio over DLNA. I had older Sony players that would pass both through to my AVR. But my current one only passes one of them (can't remember if it's DTS or Dolby). When I contacted Sony, I couldn't get a straight answer, but have found in other forums that it is happening with other brands as well. I also bought the K8500 4K player, and returned it because it didn't pass HD audio from DLNA sources.

Thank u for the answer!!!
And a popcorn VTEN will do the job?:) (4k playback and high def audio?)
:twisted:

I'm not familiar with the Popcorn line, so can't say for sure. But one post I found says it does DTS-MA but not TrueHD. Well, I just went to the official site and it does show TrueHD, so that old post isn't accurate any longer. But it also says out of stock :shock: . Looks like Popcorn has some other players, but they too get pricey.

The only box I know 100% for sure is the Nvidia Shield, which also supports almost every video and audio codec. But it's $200-300. There are many, many Android boxes that support Kodi, which can be configured to pass HD audio. Kodi can also play from Serviio, but I don't find it particularly convenient to use. Maybe I didn't spend enough time with it. The downside of these Android boxes is that while they all have Netflix, none officially support Amazon Instant Video. I understand that you can sideload the Amazon app, but you can't get 4K playback. The only Android box that officially support Amazon is the Nvidia Shield.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Individual47

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:03 am

Im gonna buy an NVIDIA Shield it has a remarkable specs... Thank u for the help, very apprechiated!
I have one question... pls answer if u can.
Do i need Nvidia Shield PRO (500 gb) for using serviio via enthernet? or the 16GB enough.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Individual47 wrote:Im gonna buy an NVIDIA Shield it has a remarkable specs... Thank u for the help, very apprechiated!
I have one question... pls answer if u can.
Do i need Nvidia Shield PRO (500 gb) for using serviio via enthernet? or the 16GB enough.

There's no need for the Pro version for media streaming. My guess is it is necessary for some game playing, and some people have said it is necessary to use the Shield as a Plex server. The Pro also has an IR port for using generic remote controls. But if I was going to get one for my media streaming, I'd go with the basic model and save $100. :lol:
Dan

<<

Individual47

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:02 pm

I just tought when i buy the pro i just copy my MKV files and watch them directly. It has to be work on High Definition audio :P
I still worry about DLNA let me play movies on that file format. :?
But if u say so i buy the Light version :D Do u shure its work?:) ( sry im reconsider everything from now on:)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Individual47 wrote:I just tought when i buy the pro i just copy my MKV files and watch them directly. It has to be work on High Definition audio :P
I still worry about DLNA let me play movies on that file format. :?
But if u say so i buy the Light version :D Do u shure its work?:) ( sry im reconsider everything from now on:)

If you desire to play locally, the light version does have USB ports, so you can connect external hard drives or thumb drives. From what Zip has said in the past, the MKV container isn't "officially" supported by the DLNA specification, but he has built something into Serviio that lets it work. I have many MKV movies with HD audio, and as long as my player supports it the HD audio plays in my AVR. As you first noticed with your K8500, not all players support HD audio. My Roku players do not, my Sony BD player only supports DTS-MA, but older Sony BD players would stream TrueHD as well. The Shield supports both, and from the forums I've read it works well.
Dan

<<

Individual47

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:38 am

Thank u very much! I bought the SHIELD it works perfetcly with PLEX :( I cant find a profile for Nvidia SHIELD though :(
But im happy it works perfetly

Return to Samsung