FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

videos not loading seems to hang

<<

mrjoker

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:30 am

videos not loading seems to hang

Hello,

I have been using serviio since v 1.4 I am now using v 1.8 it has been working great until today. I am using Win 10 pro 64 bit, and my tv is Samsung UN55JS9000 Profile is J-series.
This has been working great and I did not do any update to serviio . This is what happens, the Serviio source is there, when I switch to it, it brings up the folders Audio, Image, Video.
IF I select audio it will take me to my audio files and allows me select them no problem. However when I select video folder it just sits there saying Loading on the screen. I have tried about everything I can think of on my computer but to no avail. I even uninstalled serviio and installed it back again. I selected the shared folders one with audio files and one with video files. But still the video files do not load on the TV even though on the console it showed the files being loaded into serviio. It had been working perfectly until today. So I am not sure what changed, as I have not been able to get it to work again. So I hope someone reads this that is a lot smarter then me about this and helps me find the solution.

Thanks.
<<

mrjoker

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Re: videos not loading seems to hang

If I keep messing around and finally it will show the movies, but when I click on any other folders such as titles it shows no content. How do I get Serviio to sort video by title so that folder shows video by titles any other folder just hangs saying loading.

I am so disappointed that serviio suddenly quit working, it had been working so well. I have uninstalled it a couple of times and installed it back again but still acting up.

it use to always be there when I clicked on source and Serviio and all the info would just load ASAP. How can I get it back to that again?

HELP PLEASE!

Thank you
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:54 pm

Can't speak about the sluggish performance, other than my personal opinion about Samsung DLNA support is terrible. For just a title list of movies, don't use the Folder view but instead use the Title view. This view gives you the Letter, and when selected every Title that starts with that letter is listed, with A or The as the first word of the title ignored.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

mrjoker

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:46 am

Thanks Dan that was the way it use to work when I selected the titles folder it showed folders for all the letters of the alphabet and then you selected a letter and video were there.

Now it just says NO CONTENT.

But even worse, I get it to see the movies and then when I go back to it again all the movies are gone and just says NO CONTENT.

To make all this worse, I did nothing to the TV or the COMPUTER so why did it quit working after all this time?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:10 pm

When you uninstalled Serviio, did you check the C:\Program Files folder and ensure the Serviio folder was completely gone? It should be, but just in case something was left over might have caused an issue. However, since it happened more or less suddenly without any changes that you know of, I become suspicious of a Microsoft update. My main server is on Windows 10 Pro, with my test server on Windows 7. No issues with either, but my Win 10 box is telling me there's a Windows update waiting to be installed.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

mrjoker

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Yes, I made sure that all Serviio files were gone. So it was a clean re-install. I also suspected that perhaps it was a windows 10 Pro update that messed everything up as Serviio has always worked perfectly until Now.

So anyway, I did create a new file folder for my video collection. I moved all the files to the new folder. Then I made the new folder a shared folder. Then removed the old folder from serviio shared folders and added the path to the new folder. This resulted in all my video content being added to serviio.

Then I went to my TV. Changed the source to Serviio and it loaded the three folders along the left edge of the screen (audio, Images, Video) Then I selected video and that opened the other folders that are enabled in serviio. Movies, titles, last added etc. When clicking on movies it showed all my content there that were in folders. ( With the exception of some mp4 files, coupleof home video, and downloads from you tube.) These use to show up, now I have not been able to get them to show up.

I then backed up one screen and tried the other folders, No Content in most of them, the only one that had content in it was the folder by year of movie.
Then I changed my source back to TV. Then changed it back to Serviio, again brought up the three folders on the left side of screen as normal, however this time when clicking on Video folder it just says NO CONTENT FOUND. Seems like if I stop the serviio server, and then start it again the content shows again. I checked the welcome screen of serviio and showed the videos were there, but on my TV No Content Found.

This is all very frustrating to me, as I said earlier that serviio had been working perfect until the beginning of this week. I wish they had a better support system here. As I read through the forum lots of people having issues, but few getting resolved.

Thanks for your suggestions at least you have responded to my post. Just one more question for you about the titles folder you said use the title view not the folder view. Is this something I set up in serviio? Please explain more in detail. Thanks.
<<

mrjoker

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:05 pm

In addition to the issues I have been out lining in the above posts. For what ever the reason, after doing a clean install of Serviio I have not been able to get it to list all the video. It use to before what ever happened and Serviio quit the beginning of this week. Prior to that all the same video use to list, Now they do not. Why?

I have played those video many times in the past and they played perfect so it is not they are in a format my TV does not recognize. They are MP4 and MKV files. The same as the other video that do show up.

Also, Last added folder does not work, just sits and says "Loading" Nothing ever happens, Title Folder just says no content, These all use to work. Perhaps i need to uninstall Serviio and install v1.4 and see if it works ok, if it does then start upgrading and see it they stay working.

Plus every time I change the source back to TV when I try to go back to Serviio the icon for Serviio is missing. Requires me to stop serviio and then restart it. it will then be there.

Since it appears that Serviio is not being supported here, and many people are having same issues. There must be a media server that really works.

Anyone have any suggestions?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:11 am

Titles is a default setting, so it should be shown in the Video section. Your console settings should look like the picture I'm attaching.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (32.07 KiB) Viewed 11960 times

Double-check your profile setting. From the sound of it, the TV isn't telling Serviio correctly what it is capable of playing, so Serviio isn't displaying it. I have some files that a Roku cannot play without transcoding, and if the wrong profile is selected, they won't appear. Since you've done a clean install, you should be able to access the MediaBrowser and see if they appear there. If they do, then the problem is the communication between your TV and Serviio.

If the correct profile IS selected, then try some others. Generic transcodes nothing, and since the Samsung sets don't seem to work well with transcoded files you aren't missing anything. The DirecTV profile transcodes everything, so with that one most likely nothing will play. My wife is using our JU7100, so I can't test with it right now.
Dan

<<

mrjoker

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:45 am

I thought that was what you were talking about regarding the titles folder. That is what I am using. I have tried the default settings as well as the show content only settings. Still get the error "NO CONTENT FOUND"

I tried Generic profile as well as different other ones no difference. I am using the Samsung J series which was working and also showed all those files.

I may check into my backup and see if I can restore my original set up can't get any worse.
<<

mrjoker

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:49 am

I just wanted to make a correction to my first post in this thread. I installed serviio v1.21 on July 9, 2013 and did the upgrades as they were released to v1.8 it has worked perfectly all that time until Tuesday July 18, 2017 then it stopped working and I have not been able to figure out why or how to get it to work again. Read all the posts from the beginning.

any suggestions let me know.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:34 pm

With a sudden change like that, all I can think of is a Windows update messing with something. Where is your media located, on the computer or something on the network like a NAS? It is sounding like a Windows update might have changed permissions for something.
Dan

<<

mrjoker

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:39 pm

My media is on a separate hard drive connected to my computer via USB.

I too have wondered if it could be a windows update or if possibly Samsung did an update to the TV.

I went back and installed the old versions of serviio. but no matter which version I tried (and they all previously worked) they all showed the same thing. No Content. even though on the welcome page of serviio it showed video content loaded.

So I have installed again v1.8 It is flaky in that sometimes it shows serviio as the source and sometimes I have to stop and start the serviio again to see the source, and allows me to stream video from the movies folder. (only folder working)

I am sending samsung an email to see if they recently updated the TV and if so see if I can roll back to previous.

I looked briefly at Plex but decided serviio was a much better server . So will continue to try to figure out the problem.

By the way, do you have any idea of what I can look at for permissions in windows 10 pro that may have gotten changed? or any defaults Windows may have changed I can change back?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Since it's an external drive, maybe they changed the security settings for non-internal drives. There's one more thing you can try. Change the user account that Serviio uses to run the service. By default, it uses Local System. However, that computer account has some limitations for accessing things outside the computer, and it might be impacting your USB drive. You change the user by opening the Services applet, finding the Serviio service, and opening it to access the settings. Change the user to the same user/password you use to log into the computer as yourself. Then Serviio has the same access rights that you have as a user. After you make the change you have to restart the service.
Dan

<<

mrjoker

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:07 pm

I am the only user on my computer hence the only account is the local user and it is an administrator account.

except when the serviio source icon is not showing up, I am getting access to my media (with the exception of the home video etc videos which use to work now do not show up)
The folders showing release years works, folder showing last viewed works, title folder shows no content, and the Last added says loading and hangs there only way out of it is push source again. Last added and Titles are what I can not figure out why they do not work, especially since I have done clean install. for some reason it is like serviio is not indexing. Or parts of it are not working properly.

On the Samsung TV when I select source on the remote, shows all of the available source, I select Serviio, then it shows loading and presents the three folders on the left of the screen

Audio, Images, and Video. Selecting video it then loads the folder from presentation panel of the console that I have not disabled. I can then select movies and it brings up the media stored on the USB external drive. That part works fine, always have had my media stored this way and up until this week no issue.
<<

mrjoker

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:14 pm

I was not able to try media browser due to the fact that this is not a pro edition. media browser does not show up. I could do another clean uninstall and install from scratch again and then media browser would show up for a few days.

I would purchase the pro version but really do not need most options related to Pro edition and since support is difficult to get from serviio it would just waste my money.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:43 am

You should have 15 days after a clean install to try MediaBrowser. Has it been that long since you last did the install?

Yes, the user account to use to log in (even if it logs in automatically it still has a user name and password) is what you should change the Serviio service to use. That is really the only way to ensure you haven't encountered a permissions issue from a Windows update.
Dan

<<

mrjoker

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Using as pro for 14 days seems to be a bit flaky Sometimes it shows up other times it is not there. I even used an uninstaller that searched for any entry's in the registry to be sure I had uninstalled everything. Then reinstalled it. (By the way, I had to reinstall it again yesterday, due to the fact it would not show up as a source on my TV, after new installation it showed up as source again.

I have changed my logon on the services property's tab to the log on I use when I log into windows. Made no difference in anything.

I did discover that if I created a new folder and moved my home video to that folder, they now show up there. I did the same with some of the other video like instructional videos for wood working etc. they now work.

I have not been able to get anything to populate the tittles folder that one still shows no content.

Also the folder last added, just hangs when I go there saying Loading on the screen but does nothing.

Samsung, says my TV has the latest firmware, however did not indicate when they updated it, and said that I could not roll back to previous firmware. However, they said they only supported Samsung Link sharing software. Checking that out, requires you to have a Samsung account and log into Samsung to use it. I am not interested in that, privacy issues for sure with that setup. I have already heard where they were collecting info on what you watched on tv to sell to networks etc. But I think they had to stop that. I am glad my TV does not have a camera

By the way, Originally before July 18 when everything was working ok. I had all content in one folder, all folders worked so could see last viewed, last added, and tittles. And Serviio always showed up on source menu. Also, I did not have this folder set up as a Share Folder. It worked just fine. Now I have made it a share folder trying to get things back the way they were however the additional folders I have created are not shares and they work just fine also.

So Zip if you have been following along, perhaps you need to look at the firmware for this TV. available on Samsung's website and make changes to the jseries profile? Or make a way to index the video to show in the titles folder.

Return to Samsung