FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Can't find Serviio as source

<<

jorrocks14

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:26 am

Can't find Serviio as source

Samsung UE48J5248 showing as active via console but Serviio not being displayed as a source option on TV. Any help please guys? Cheers :)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Can't find Serviio as source

Does the Samsung see anything else on your network, and/or does it work with Internet streaming sites, like YouTube? Sounds like either a networking issue with the TV and/or the computer, or a firewall issue on the computer.

What OS is Serviio running on? Are either or both connected via wireless, or are they wired to the network?
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

master668

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:54 am

I too am having this issue.

Serviio is at V1.9 Pro, fully registered.

Server is Windows Server 2012 R2, at latest fix levels

TV is a Samsung E5500, also at latest firmware levels

I can not see any DLNA servers, no Serviio.

Yet, when I use the TV to play a recently played video, it manages to connect to the server and play the video.

This all used to work, and work well. Something has happened in the last month or two to make it no longer functional.

I have made sure the Serviio server is running, and it can play on a Windows PC on the same network using the <servername>:23424/mediabrowser method.

Either a recent update to Serviio, Server 2012 or the TV firmware is at fault, but I have no idea which!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:56 pm

My finger of blame points to Microsoft. It wouldn't be the first time that an update messed with Serviio. Most often it has something to do with the Windows firewall settings. The update finds the firewall with settings it feels are "incorrect" and resets them. For me, I don't run the firewall at all. Since the computer is inside my network and no computer connects to my network without my permission, I'm not overly concerned with someone attempting to hack it. Sometimes just reinstalling Serviio will recreate the proper firewall settings.

Since you're running Serviio 1.9, there hasn't been any Serviio updates that could have caused a change. With Samsung it's always a possibility they mucked something up, as their DLNA support is lacking in my opinion. Again, they too have broken things with an update. I don't have an E Series set to know if there's been an update recently.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

master668

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Some further info. ServiiGo can find and play items on the Serviio Server, so I'm pointing the finger more at Samsung and one of their automatically applied updates to the TV.

It sucks badly, as it was the main reason I was using Serviio anyway!

Now, does Google ChromeCast work, I wonder....
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:12 pm

To be honest, I never use my Samsung Smart Apps any longer. My wife is more comfortable using our Sony Blu Ray player to access Serviio, while I prefer my Roku player. The Samsung DLNA functionality is poor, and the last time I tried using it I could not play any videos requiring transcoding (WTV files mostly).
Dan

<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:28 am

Chromecast is spotty. Only mediabrowser transcodes but it cuts out randomly and a few files just won't play. Localcast will cast if the video doesn't need transcoding. But mediabrowser is needed for everything else and its hit or miss, will I be able to see the whole video or not.

Been a long 4 months can't wait for an update that fixes mediabrowser for chromecast.

Return to Samsung