FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Can't play .mkv files on my Samsung UE40D7090 from synology

<<

apraks

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:06 am

Can't play .mkv files on my Samsung UE40D7090 from synology

Hi all, I'm new to Serviio and just managed to install it on my synology DS716+II . There is currently the synology mediaserver running, too. After indexing all my content it appears that I can't play .mkv files from Serviio to my Samsung TV no matter of the size. But there's no problem with the mediaserver of sysnology's. Could you please give me a hint what I can do? Thanks in advance for your feedback.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:26 am

Re: Can't play .mkv files on my Samsung UE40D7090 from synol

apraks wrote:Hi all, I'm new to Serviio and just managed to install it on my synology DS716+II . There is currently the synology mediaserver running, too. After indexing all my content it appears that I can't play .mkv files from Serviio to my Samsung TV no matter of the size. But there's no problem with the mediaserver of sysnology's. Could you please give me a hint what I can do? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Samsung TVs sometimes have issues with transcoded videos. What profile are you using for your TV in the Serviio console? Also, the MKV container can hold many different codecs, so just stating the container type doesn't help troubleshoot your issue. See how to get the codecs in your video from the link in my sig line. Then post the results here.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

apraks

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:39 am

atc98092 wrote:
apraks wrote:Hi all, I'm new to Serviio and just managed to install it on my synology DS716+II . There is currently the synology mediaserver running, too. After indexing all my content it appears that I can't play .mkv files from Serviio to my Samsung TV no matter of the size. But there's no problem with the mediaserver of sysnology's. Could you please give me a hint what I can do? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Samsung TVs sometimes have issues with transcoded videos. What profile are you using for your TV in the Serviio console? Also, the MKV container can hold many different codecs, so just stating the container type doesn't help troubleshoot your issue. See how to get the codecs in your video from the link in my sig line. Then post the results here.

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, I know that mkv is just a container for different codecs. But we are talking about ~3600 files, mostly mkv. So I guess that would go beyond the scope to check the codec of every single file which is not played. But the tip is good to change the profile. Currently I use the default profile. I must admit I don't know how to change the profile on the console of serviio on my synology NAS. I tried to access the config.xml file using putty and ssh with success but I don't know what to change in this file to select the Samsung D profile. Maybe you can tell me that.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:26 am

The console can be accessed from any computer on your network. It is browser based, so just connect to http://NAS_IP_ADDRESS:23423/console. Once you have the console open, go to the Status tab and find the line for your TV and change it to one of the Samsung profiles. There should be (going by memory) a Samsung C/D profile that should work best for your TV.

You don't want to edit anything in the Profiles.xml file unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing. Any mistake in formatting and Serviio won't even start. And there's nothing in that file that tells Serviio to assign it to a particular device. You can only do that in the console. :D

You wouldn't need to scan all your files. Just one or two that won't play would be sufficient to determine the codecs involved. ;)
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

apraks

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:19 pm

atc98092 wrote:The console can be accessed from any computer on your network. It is browser based, so just connect to http://NAS_IP_ADDRESS:23423/console. Once you have the console open, go to the Status tab and find the line for your TV and change it to one of the Samsung profiles. There should be (going by memory) a Samsung C/D profile that should work best for your TV.

You don't want to edit anything in the Profiles.xml file unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing. Any mistake in formatting and Serviio won't even start. And there's nothing in that file that tells Serviio to assign it to a particular device. You can only do that in the console. :D

You wouldn't need to scan all your files. Just one or two that won't play would be sufficient to determine the codecs involved. ;)

Now it works. I always checked the transcoding section in the delivery tab for the profile selection, overseeing the settings in the status tab :roll: . All tested files are played now. So thank you very much for your help, mate. Have a nice day and best regards from Cologne/Germany.

Return to Samsung