I could not play certain mkv files on my Samsung B650 LCD tv. Thanks to this forum I was able to analyze the problem.
I used mediaInfo to compare the containers for both a file that did play and a file that would not play.
One difference was that the file that did not play contained a subtitle track. Using mkvmerge I removed the subtitle, but it did not make a difference.
Another difference I noticed was this:
Writing application : mkvmerge v3.0.0 ('Hang up your Hang-Ups') built on Apr 19 2010 11:58:49
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
not playing file:
Writing application : mkvmerge v4.4.0 ('Die Wiederkehr') gemaakt op Oct 31 2010 21:52:48
Writing library : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0
So my suspicion was that somehow my samsung can not cope with the new matroska libs used by the mkvmerge v4.4.0 version.
So I remuxed the not playing file using mkvmerge v3.0.0 (including the subtitle track) and now it plays ok!
subtitle does not work however, I'll need to create a separate srt file for that to work I think.
thanks all for your input on this forum, I would not be able to fix this without all the information present.