FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

mkv problem on Samsung B-series

<<

10pizza

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 27, 2011 12:19 pm

mkv problem on Samsung B-series

great software and forum here guys!

I could not play certain mkv files on my Samsung B650 LCD tv. Thanks to this forum I was able to analyze the problem.

I used mediaInfo to compare the containers for both a file that did play and a file that would not play.
One difference was that the file that did not play contained a subtitle track. Using mkvmerge I removed the subtitle, but it did not make a difference.

Another difference I noticed was this:
GOOD file:
Writing application : mkvmerge v3.0.0 ('Hang up your Hang-Ups') built on Apr 19 2010 11:58:49
Writing library : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

not playing file:
Writing application : mkvmerge v4.4.0 ('Die Wiederkehr') gemaakt op Oct 31 2010 21:52:48
Writing library : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

So my suspicion was that somehow my samsung can not cope with the new matroska libs used by the mkvmerge v4.4.0 version.

So I remuxed the not playing file using mkvmerge v3.0.0 (including the subtitle track) and now it plays ok!

subtitle does not work however, I'll need to create a separate srt file for that to work I think.

thanks all for your input on this forum, I would not be able to fix this without all the information present. :D
<<

Sebanisu

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: [SOLVED] mkv problem on Samsung B-series

I have some bad mkv files too. I'm making a list. I wish I knew why my samsung blu ray player was acting this way.
Samsung BD-C5500 And XBOX 360| Windows 7)
<<

Sebanisu

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:19 am

Remuxing the troublesome MKV files (MPEG2 video and AC3/DTS audio) to VOB seem to work better on the BD-C5500. I think it's specifically the MKV's with MPEG2 video that doesn't work. With seeking and such.
Samsung BD-C5500 And XBOX 360| Windows 7)
<<

moonmopus

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:36 pm

i thought i would offer some input based on what has worked for me with problem mkvs. i have always enjoyed using handbrake and have been very happy with how it has developed over the years. its been more stable for me in linux and mac than windows. it seems that most of the mkvs i have had trouble with have b frame issues. the best way, in my experience, to resolve this in handbrake is to ensure that in advanced -analysis - adaptive b frames, you switch from the defauklt of 'fast' to 'optimal'some mkv. this will take longer but i have always had success. you can tweak some other features in the advanced section but this is the one that seems to make all the difference.
TV samsung ln52b750 | OS linux mint 12 64 bit | MOBO gigabyte x58 ud3r rev.2 |CPU i7 950 | RAM 12 gb gskill ripjaws | GPU gigabyte nvidia gtx 460| ROUTER: linksyse3000 w/ tomato
<<

MoshPuiu

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:19 am

In my opinion admin should erase [solved] on this topic because this is not a solution on B-series TV (which I have also).
I tried different mkvmerge versions, adding extra option --clusters-in-meta-seek but no success... until now I have not a mkv movie that shows correct time elapsed and can be ffw/rewinded. Remember that movies play ok, sound too but it has these problems...
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:11 pm

MoshPuiu wrote:In my opinion admin should erase [solved] on this topic because this is not a solution on B-series TV (which I have also).
I tried different mkvmerge versions, adding extra option --clusters-in-meta-seek but no success... until now I have not a mkv movie that shows correct time elapsed and can be ffw/rewinded. Remember that movies play ok, sound too but it has these problems...

The elapsed time may be due to the fact the file is transcoded. Also make sure you have latest firmware.
<<

chirrilover

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:00 pm

zip wrote:
MoshPuiu wrote:In my opinion admin should erase [solved] on this topic because this is not a solution on B-series TV (which I have also).

The elapsed time may be due to the fact the file is transcoded. Also make sure you have latest firmware.

With Samsungs please do not use compressed headers in MKV files and change FPS to 29.whatever. It does not work with any other FPS

Return to Samsung