FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Some MP4s Will Not Play

<<

MotoTom

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Some MP4s Will Not Play

For the most part I am delighted with Serviio 0.5.2 and how it works with my UN46C6300. But I find that many of my MP4s continually pause for additional loading. It looks like those that were ripped using earlier versions of Handbrake are the problem videos.

My question is if the problem is caused by my server (a Samsung Netbook (Atom 270 w/ 2gb ram and Windows XP Home) or is this a not-unexpected issue with Serviio and the Samsung. The answer will help me decide if I should re-encode about 150 movies or if I should upgrade the server to a more powerful Nettop.

Thanks in advance.
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:17 am

Re: Some MP4s Will Not Play

MotoTom wrote:It looks like those that were ripped using earlier versions of Handbrake are the problem videos.

Make a search into the forum with "Handbrake"...this problem seems to already be known
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

MotoTom

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:44 pm

I found an item in the very voluminous search results list in which Zip mentioned that there might be an issue with file names that caused this.

Last night I moved some files to specific folders (Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc.) and then shortened the file names. Bingo! Joy! Almost everyone played perfectly. One example was a file named "Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows - Part 1" would not play. I got a "File Type Not Supported" message. After moving it to the Harry Potter folder, I renamed it to "Deathly Hallows-1" and it played fine.

I did re-encode my entire DVD library using Handbrake .95 which had several benefits. For the most part the files are smaller. playback volume is much better and DVDs encoded before .94 now play. The naming issue only affected .94 & .95 encoded DVDs.

Now to find out why some movies have the wrong name/image in the Title view, even though the file names match the TMDb exactly. E.G., De-Lovely and The Sting show up with names so bizarre I can't even remember them here at the office. The do appear correctly in the File view.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:09 pm

remove the '-' from the file name

Return to Samsung