FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MKV Fast Forward working!!

<<

Grumpa

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:50 am

Re: MKV Fast Forward working!!

I have the C5500 player and have had issues with FF/RW and Jump for several months now. This and several related posts here and on the WDLive board have had me pulling what little hair I have out. :( I finally figured it out though. Using MKVMerge v5.1.0 I enabled "Disable header removal compression for audio and video tracks by default" in File / Options and then in the Muxing tab under Add Command Line Options I "Add" --clusters-in-meta-seek then mux my files. Videos that never worked properly before are now working. Manually adding the --clusters-in-meta-seek under Extra options / User defined options didn't seem to work for some reason.

Thanks to all for their efforts. :D
<<

cyberdog

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:01 am

Grumpa wrote:I have the C5500 player and have had issues with FF/RW and Jump for several months now. This and several related posts here and on the WDLive board have had me pulling what little hair I have out. :( I finally figured it out though. Using MKVMerge v5.1.0 I enabled "Disable header removal compression for audio and video tracks by default" in File / Options and then in the Muxing tab under Add Command Line Options I "Add" --clusters-in-meta-seek then mux my files. Videos that never worked properly before are now working. Manually adding the --clusters-in-meta-seek under Extra options / User defined options didn't seem to work for some reason.

Thanks to all for their efforts. :D

Hello everybody from newbies
This method works for me
A BIG thank you.

Apple iMac Core i3 10.7.2
Samsung BDC5500
<<

xtrapeque

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:00 pm

I used all systems and solutions above and none has worked, I finally found one that if I work, I explain it is quite simple and as I said works for me:

I use the "ANY VIDEO CONVERTER" choose the MP4 format, codec x264, original video size, bit rate 2950, ​​AAC audio codec, 128 and 44100.

The bit rate I use is micro-hd, if you want to transform something other I recommend the "MediaInfo" and will tell you the bitrate of your file, and you change it by 2950.

Then you give it to convert and go.

In the program you can configure the use of GPU if you have a good plot to go faster.

The process takes me half an hour, but it depends on your processor I have an i5.

Perhaps not very orthodox but I found it quite easy.

I used the google translator, my English is bad, but if you do not understand something maybe can simplify something.
<<

Powernout

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Hey guys,

I've been trying (again) to get this working. In the past, using MKVToolnix 3.4 did the trick for me (that was a couple of months ago). Now I have a new computer, and I have some time, so I thought I'd get my media in order. So I downloaded the lastest version (5.8 I believe) and started mucking about taking all your comments into consideration, but I was still unable to fast forward or rewind. So I downloaded version 3.4 again, but unfortunately, this still makes little difference. I can forward to a point in time manually, but that's about it. The only thing I have not tried is to NOT mux the chapters, so I will try that tomorrow.

Nonetheless, I was googling around and I ran into a person's blog which seems interesting. Unfortunately I don't understand what he's really doing, but it does seems to me he's heading in a nice direction! His name is Thomas Weiniger, and this is the blog he wrote: http://blog.weinimo.de/streaming-video- ... vs-part-2/ I have also left a comment on his blog to invite him into this discussion. Perhaps he could create a program for dummies... wouldn't that be fantastic! Thomas, I hope to see you join this discussion!
<<

weinimo

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:33 am

First of all I want to emphasize, that whether your Samsung device plays your MKV files or not depends greatly on what audio and video codecs you use. I think this hasn't been mentioned in this discussion before. MKV/Matroska is only a container format and has little to do with the codecs of the file.
I made a series of tests with different container formats and different audio and video codecs. As I described on my blog (look at Powernouts post) I found out that MKV and MP4 container formats are equally good supported by Samsung devices. Additionally the video codec should be H264, MPEG4 or WMV3, the audio codec should be MP3, AAC or AC3. Other combinations may be possible, but I had the best results using these codecs. If you use only these codecs, you won't ever need Serviios transcoding function.
I have to say I haven't used mkvmerge ever before, so I can't tell you which settings may be the best there. But in case you want to try out re-encoding your files and look if another codec may fix your problems, I can recommend FFMPEG.

Edit: For a first try you can use these FFMPEG settings: ffmpeg -i <inputfile> -acodec libfaac -aq 120 -vcodec libx264 -sameq <outputfile>
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:09 am

I was googling around and I ran into a person's blog which seems interesting. Unfortunately I don't understand what he's really doing, but it does seems to me he's heading in a nice direction!

First, this has nothing to do with fast forwarding of mkv files so it should be removed rather than hijack this thread.

Secondly, a comment like "Unfortunately I don't understand what he's really doing, but it does seems to me he's heading in a nice direction!" adds zero value to others who are trying to learn and in fact is misleading because the whole value of Serviio is that it will transform any file on the fly to the format required by the client so the prebatch conversion you are suggesting is pointless and a waste of time.
<<

BlackThorne

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:55 pm

just to add some info-
I've tried everything in this and other threads. non worked for some MKV i've checked.
strangely enough after installing Samsung's AllShare- it worked there.

so this is really an issue of the software rather than firmware.
[i'm using 46 C650 TV]
any idea what could possibly be the reason...?
<<

Powernout

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 pm

jhb50 wrote:
I Secondly, a comment like "Unfortunately I don't understand what he's really doing, but it does seems to me he's heading in a nice direction!" adds zero value to others who are trying to learn and in fact is misleading because the whole value of Serviio is that it will transform any file on the fly to the format required by the client so the prebatch conversion you are suggesting is pointless and a waste of time.

Hey jhb50... how's your Ruby knowledge?
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:07 pm

About the same as anyone who can read english. That's the point of Ruby. And certainly enough to see that the conversions he is proposing such as flv to h264 are inappropriate and would take hours to perform versus other more efficient options such as those performed by Serviio in real time. Another reason why your post remains misleading.
<<

Powernout

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:53 am

jhb50 wrote:
About the same as anyone who can read english. That's the point of Ruby. And certainly enough to see that the conversions he is proposing such as flv to h264 are inappropriate and would take hours to perform versus other more efficient options such as those performed by Serviio in real time. Another reason why your post remains misleading.

Well you see, my Ruby is just as good as my Basic, perl, python, java, C# and Cobol: It's non-existing. So instead of whining about me posting something which is useless in your eyes, why not try and help this issue forward like I am. And I am doing this by inviting someone onto this forum who may be able to write a little program which can spit out a Samsung-ready solution. But if you posess Ruby knowledge, ánd are equipped with all this codec-knowledge, perhaps you could work together Weinimo and make some magic!
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:56 pm

You don't seem to understand. There is no issue to solve. The solution to playing any file on any DLNA device is Serviio, and as I explained to you earlier, preconverting files is an absolute waste of time because Serviio transcodes to Samsung ready formats and does it just fine on the fly in realtime. I suggest you take time to read the documentation and the forums to learn more. And please open a new thread when you wish to start a new topic. I can't help you more than that.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:10 pm

BlackThorne wrote:just to add some info-
I've tried everything in this and other threads. non worked for some MKV i've checked.
strangely enough after installing Samsung's AllShare- it worked there.

so this is really an issue of the software rather than firmware.
[i'm using 46 C650 TV]
any idea what could possibly be the reason...?

MOst likely because serviio now transcodes MKVs with level > 4.2 and with mkv header stripping. You could remove he matchers from your profile. This should be rectified in 1.1 as well.
<<

BlackThorne

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:10 pm

I think it has been fixed!
no trouble with files which previously had issues.

Good job!
<<

JLMiller

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Well, I managed to solve the whole issue once and for all, but I fear that you Samsung-ites out there aren't going to like my approach, to wit:

1. Donate your Samsung device (in my case, a Samsung BD-C6800 Blu-ray player) to Goodwill.
2. Take the donation as an IRS deduction.
3. Buy a Western Digital WD TV Live, connect it, and configure it.
4. Everything works, slick as can be.

Samsung makes some good stuff, but so far, DLNA devices, in my opinion, aren't among them. From the get-go, Allshare drove me stark raving batty. (That wasn't entirely a bad thing: it motivated me to sniff out Serviio.) Then, I wasted *'way* too much time trying to get my BD-C6800 to work in any sort of reasonable fashion.

Now, happily, life is good.

- John
<<

osmium

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:18 pm

Digitoxin wrote:The .MKV needs to be muxed with the option --clusters-in-meta-seek in mkvmerge. This was turned on by default in previous versions, but is off by default now. This is required to be able to jump backwards and forwards on Samsung players.

Thank you Digitoxin! I finally know why some MKVs would let me seek and jump forward/back on my Samsung TV and BD player as well as my LG BD player. I have begun remuxing all my MKVs using --clusters-in-meta-seek and they all work now!

Now whenever I get a new MKV, I change compression to 'none' on each track and add the above command line option and smooth sailing for DLNA streaming with my Samsung and LG devices!

-Steve
<<

osmium

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:27 pm

XtraCrispi wrote:Anyone have any ideas of my subtitle issue? I recoded a movie with subtitles. I saw the subtitle track on the list and it was checked. The recoded movie has no subs displayed. What do I have to enable? Do I have to select a charset?

This isn't relevant to this thread, however this is an easy one. Samsung players are not able to read or select subtitles from MKV containers. You must place a srt file with the EXACT SAME filename in the the same folder as your MKV. For example, if you have "awesome-movie.mkv" in the folder, "Awesome Movie Folder", you need the srt file to be EXACTLY "awesome-movie.srt". I believe this is case sensitive. "Awesome-Movie.srt" or "awesome movie.srt" won't work. Samsung devices automatically notice this and stream the subtitles with the movie. There is no way to turn them on or off. I usually try to download English subtitles for foreign language portions of movies rather than have to watch subtitles all the way through. You can also pull subtitles out of MKVs using MKVcleaver.

I have noticed that my LG BD player allows me to select different subtitle and audio tracks from the MKV making it far superior to my Samsung devices for streaming via DLNA. It also manages to stream 10 GB MKVs over wireless with no problems. I have my Samsung devices hard wired.
<<

osmium

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:32 pm

JLMiller wrote:A somewhat more straightforward way to specify options to mkvmerge is to select the "Muxing" tab -> "Add command line options" and select the ones you want from the drop-down list. (I'm using v5.1.0).

Per DLN eh?'s post, I took a look at the headers of a couple of .mkv files. They all have the four seek entries he mentioned (after re-muxing), but still won't FF/FR. Exasperating.

- John

John, DLNA does not allow for FF/RW. Adding --no-clusters-in-meta-seek only allows you to seek/jump using 'Tools' on your Samsung remote or jump using the arrow buttons (assuming similar keys on other brand devices). You'll probably never be able to FF/RW. Samsung does seem to let you FF/RW some formats in different containers, but it's not smooth and therefore hardly usable anyway. Just use seek.

-Steve
<<

bobsmo

Serviio lover

Post Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:14 pm

osmium wrote:
This isn't relevant to this thread, however this is an easy one. Samsung players are not able to read or select subtitles from MKV containers.

My two Samsung BD's and ES8000 most certainly pick up and play subs from MKV containers when present. Probably depends on the model.
<<

meli65

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:56 am

[quote="aolivero"]Hi All,

this post only to explain why in some case fast forward and rewind doesn't work in MKV.
The problem is related to the version of mkvtoolnix (and related mkvmerge) used to create the mkv.
Basically if you create the mkv with a version 4.0 or >, the Samsung BD reader (and may be also the television) doesn't handle the mkv in the right way. If you use a previous version (e.g i used the 3.4) everything work fine.
This is not a problem related to serviio but to the samsung firmware/codec. In fact the same problem exist also when you copy the mkv to a usb drive and you try to run it direcly from the player.
So the way to fix the mkv than doesn't fast forward or rewind is:

1) Install mkvtoolnix 3.4
2) Open the mkv with this version and resave it

That's all.

Hello,

i also have a problem regarding this issue.
H264 saved as MKV files don't work either.
Is there some other option in the settings I can try.?

Thanks
<<

enaton

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Same problem here with a SONY Blu-ray Player. No FF/RW. Skipping chapters was very very slow (about 1-3min) using the latest v6.5.0 mkvtoolnix, even with the option " --clusters-in-meta-seek " .
I remuxed the original video using the 3.4.0 version and all work perfectly now! :P
This topic really helped me. Thank you!
PreviousNext

Return to Samsung