FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Can't Share Movies?

<<

tazzles

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:15 am

Can't Share Movies?

First time Serviio user. Downloaded 0.6 yesterday and installed it under Vista. Got it sharing photos and music quite nicely to my Samsung HT-D5550W. But after letting it run for about 24 hours now, it still doesn't share out any of the movies. I shared out /public, and it's sharing music and photos from folders under there, also placed a few test movies under /public/public videos but it doesn't even share that folder. Then I made a folder on another drive, put 2 movies in it and shared it out. Restarted the Serviio service several times. The D5550W sees that folder as empty still.

What should i do next please?
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:58 pm

Re: Can't Share Movies?

check your console settings and check serviio has permissions to access that folder.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

tazzles

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Well I have checked and checked and checked some more and wouldn't be asking here if I had any ideas about what I might still check. So could you please be a bit more specific. Let's simplify the problem and just look at c:/public first. I'm sharing c:/public in Serviio, inside c:/public are the 3 standard windows folders:

c:/public/public music, c:/public/public pictures, c:/public/public videos

All 3 have the original sample files that come with windows vista as well as test content I placed there. All 3 folders are shared out to 'everyone' in windows.

The console is showing that it's running the Samsung TV/Player (C/D Series) profile. In the presentation tab, everything is set to 'display category'.

Serviio serves pictures from the picture folder, music from the music folder but on the HT-D5550W I cannot even see the video folder after 2 days now of running the server including multiple restarts.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:26 pm

tazzles wrote:Well I have checked and checked and checked some more and wouldn't be asking here if I had any ideas about what I might still check. So could you please be a bit more specific. Let's simplify the problem and just look at c:/public first. I'm sharing c:/public in Serviio, inside c:/public are the 3 standard windows folders:

c:/public/public music, c:/public/public pictures, c:/public/public videos

All 3 have the original sample files that come with windows vista as well as test content I placed there. All 3 folders are shared out to 'everyone' in windows.

The console is showing that it's running the Samsung TV/Player (C/D Series) profile. In the presentation tab, everything is set to 'display category'.

Serviio serves pictures from the picture folder, music from the music folder but on the HT-D5550W I cannot even see the video folder after 2 days now of running the server including multiple restarts.

please post serviio log file and a screen shot of the library tab in serviio console.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

tazzles

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:14 pm

Here is screenshot you asked for as well as the debug log. F: is another internal HD and I: is an external HD. There are only a few test files in each of the shared folders. None is currently working for videos.

serviio1.jpg
serviio1.jpg (141.77 KiB) Viewed 8127 times
Attachments
serviio-debug-log.txt
(234.22 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:37 pm

split them up dont do them as one big share.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:49 am

the log includes your pictures, but no videos (you probably removed that bit).
<<

tazzles

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:42 am

No, I did not remove any log references to video files. Also i specifically text-searched the full log for .avi and .mp4 in notepad. There were no matches. As far as i can see, Serviio is not looking for them and/or not finding them.
<<

tazzles

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:48 am

Cerberus wrote:split them up dont do them as one big share.

I will restructure the share under c:/public so each subfolder is shared individually and try again.
<<

tazzles

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:19 am

OK, I deleted the C:\Public share and restructured the shares so they now read:

F:\MovieTest-F
\\SILVER-SURFER\I:\test-pics
\\SILVER-SURFER\I:\test-video
C:\Users\Public\Pictures
C:\Users\Public\Music
C:\Users\Public\Video

Forced a refresh and waited. Now i got some interesting results. It's now sharing the movies in F:\MovieTest-F which it did not do before. I didn't touch that entry. It's still not sharing anything from the external drive specified with a network path. It is sharing everything from C:\Users\Public\Pictures but not sharing anything from C:\Users\Public\Music or C:\Users\Public\Video. Whereas before the restructure it was sharing music from that folder.

I didn't touch any files or permissions in windows. just simply altered the shares in the library screen and forced a refresh. I have 2Mb of debug log, so if you want to see it all.. that would take about 8 pieces to upload. Please advise.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:44 am

\\SILVER-SURFER\I:\test-pics

are invalid paths and wont work, remove them and force refresh again.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

tazzles

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:43 am

Cerberus wrote:\\SILVER-SURFER\I:\test-pics

are invalid paths and wont work, remove them and force refresh again.

Yes, quite so. Replaced them with valid paths that I validated with a commandline dir command. Forced another refresh. Going to let it run for a while and see what happens.
<<

tazzles

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:54 pm

[SOLVED] Can't Share Movies?

After a lot more digging around and testing I finally isolated the problem. It seems Serviio cannot gracefully handle very large image files. One of the shared folders contained A4 scans at high dpi. These were about 8000x12000 pixels and 20Mb in size. These images open fine in Photoshop but some Windows image viewers also have issues with them.

Once I removed those images from the share, all the other problems magically vanished. Thank you for your assistance.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:13 pm

your welcome :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: [SOLVED] Can't Share Movies?

tazzles wrote:After a lot more digging around and testing I finally isolated the problem. It seems Serviio cannot gracefully handle very large image files. One of the shared folders contained A4 scans at high dpi. These were about 8000x12000 pixels and 20Mb in size. These images open fine in Photoshop but some Windows image viewers also have issues with them.

Once I removed those images from the share, all the other problems magically vanished. Thank you for your assistance.

Ah yes, that would cause Out of memory error and stop the file searching thread.

Return to Samsung