FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the option

<<

Digitoxin

Streaming enthusiast

Posts: 38

Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:30 am

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:07 am

How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the option

You may have noticed that newer .MKV files are missing the ability to Jump Foward or Backward (FF/REW) from your Samsung Bluray player or television. Here is what happened and how to fix it.

As of mkvmerge v4.0.0, mkvmerge will no longer put all clusters into a meta seek element by default. This is required for the FF/REW features to work on Samsung players. To fix this, you just need to remux with mkvmerge using the --clusters-in-meta-seek command line option. If you use mkvmerge GUI, choose muxing from the Menu bar and pick the option Add command line options. You can then add the --clusters-in-meta-seek option from the list. unfortunately, you cannot save these options so you have to remember to do this each time you remux an .MKV.
<<

leelindley

Serviio newbie

Posts: 2

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:45 am

Post Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:47 am

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

no joy. Some work for FF and some do not even after remuxing with the cluster option.
<<

leelindley

Serviio newbie

Posts: 2

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:45 am

Post Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:42 pm

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

My mistake. I read another thread that explained to use the arrow keys and Tool button instead of the normal disk fast forward controls. That did the trick.
<<

barcode99

Serviio newbie

Posts: 1

Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 7:46 pm

Post Tue May 08, 2012 7:51 pm

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

why don't you try Samsung own AllShare server instead. it will play all kinda of .mkv files as well as .mp4 files, which serviio will not even show as existing on shared directories. I found that it also fixes thumbnail problems on Samsunf TV and my Sony BDV home theater.
<<

kmetek

Serviio newbie

Posts: 1

Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Post Fri May 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

barcode99 wrote:why don't you try Samsung own AllShare server instead. it will play all kinda of .mkv files as well as .mp4 files, which serviio will not even show as existing on shared directories. I found that it also fixes thumbnail problems on Samsunf TV and my Sony BDV home theater.


because it adds lame .mta files to each file....
<<

invaderzog

Serviio newbie

Posts: 6

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

I tried changing my profiles.xml so that all references to:

<Matches container="matroska" mkvHeaderCompressed="true" />

were commented out (i.e.)

<!-- Matches container="matroska" mkvHeaderCompressed="true" /-->

and I also remuxed a test MKV w/ mkvmerge.

The file is a DVD rip I made with MakeMKV and then subsequently remuxed w/ mkvmerge.

When I play w/ samsung allshare (really hate that software) from my TV, it allows me to fw/rw as well as navigate chapter points. When I play from serviio, I have to watch from start->stop. I believe I tried both the fw/rw approaches as well as the tools->enter time approach.

I'm back to allshare for now -- but still holding out hope to get serviio working :)
<<

zip

User avatar

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Posts: 16471

Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Location: London, UK

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:37 pm

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

Comment out the lines that define matching for h264Levet greaterThan.
<<

invaderzog

Serviio newbie

Posts: 6

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

zip wrote:Comment out the lines that define matching for h264Levet greaterThan.


Sanity check:

I should comment out all of the "levelGreaterThan" lines such as:

<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384">
<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.1" />
<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="main" levelGreaterThan="4.1" />
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="dvvideo" />
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="vp8" />
</Video>
<<

zip

User avatar

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Posts: 16471

Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Location: London, UK

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

these two.

  Code:
<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.1" />
<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="main" levelGreaterThan="4.1" />
<<

rtharris98

Serviio newbie

Posts: 1

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

This may seem mundane but I had the same issue when playing back on my samsung smart TV. Unchecking the 'enable transcoding' seemed to correct. Please reply back if this helped.
<<

vagicle

Serviio newbie

Posts: 1

Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:57 am

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:41 am

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

I had this problem with one particular file on my Samsung UA46D6003, streaming off Serviio 1.1.

The interesting thing was that two other files, which were from the same 'release', had no such problems. (MediaInfo showed that all 3 files were encoded using identical settings, and all with profiles of "High@L4.1".) I could skip around back & forth in these two other files with little to no buffering. The only difference I can think of is that the two files that worked were smaller, though not by much, with slightly lower video bitrates.

So following the suggestion in this thread, I commented out these two lines (lines 481 & 482) under the relevant profile for my TV:

  Code:
<Profile id="7" name="Samsung TV / player (C/D/E-series)" extendsProfileId="1">
...
            <!-- <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.2" /> -->
            <!-- <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="main" levelGreaterThan="4.2" /> -->

Note the "4.1" was actually "4.2" in my profiles.xml (not sure if this was just a difference between v1.0.1 & v1.1) This seems to have done the trick for me. I'm guessing this means my Serviio is now no longer transcoding this file to my TV (?)
<<

Scotty in Oz

Serviio newbie

Posts: 7

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:51 am

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:13 am

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

Hi All,

I also have a problem with ff/rew function on my Samsung BD-D5500. I have been searching through these forums for a number of days and have tried various solutions with little success. I have made MKV files with various versions of MKVMerge including the clusters in meta seek recommendation. I have also tried generic DLNA profile but this does not work

Recently i tried playing the files with transcoding switched off and amazingly some of them worked. The problem is that I need transcoding to play files to my other DLNA device, a Panasonic VT20 TV. Maybe there is something in the Samsung D profile that could be changed to fix the problem, but I wouldn't know where to start.

Below is a list of files and how they play on the Samsung

Transcoding on/ Samsung D series Profile
vob-----no ff/rew funcion
mp4-----ff/rew funcion works
vob inside mkv-----no ff/rew funcion

Transcoding off/ Samsung D series Profile
vob-----no ff/rew funcion
mp4-----ff/rew funcion works
vob inside mkv-----ff/rew funcion works

The only format that works on the Samsung with transcoding on is mp4 but when played on Panasonic the image of letterbox films are stretched vertically and the ff/rew function does not work properly. I am really keen to get vob or vob inside mkv files to work on the Samsung as they have the best picture quality and they both work perfectly on the Panasonic with transcoding on. I am happy to post a log but am unsure what part to post

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott
<<

zip

User avatar

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Posts: 16471

Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Location: London, UK

Post Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

post ffmpeg -i for the vob in mkv file
<<

Scotty in Oz

Serviio newbie

Posts: 7

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:51 am

Post Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:05 am

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

I installed ffmpeg and follwowed the instructions on this site, please advise if this is not correct
  Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>cd"\Program Files\Serviio\lib"
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\Scott>cd "\Program Files\Serviio\lib"

C:\Program Files\Serviio\lib>ffmpeg.exe -i "C:\Users\Scott\Videos\Movies\vobinmk
v.mkv"
ffmpeg version N-42368-gbf53863 Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Jul 10 2012 03:40:45 with gcc 4.6.3
  configuration: --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-ffplay --disable-ffs
erver --enable-memalign-hack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-librtmp --extra-libs='
-lrtmp -lpolarssl -lws2_32 -lwinmm' --arch=x86 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enab
le-pthreads --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=i686-w64-mingw32- --pkg-config=pk
g-config
  libavutil      51. 64.100 / 51. 64.100
  libavcodec     54. 33.100 / 54. 33.100
  libavformat    54. 15.102 / 54. 15.102
  libavdevice    54.  1.100 / 54.  1.100
  libavfilter     3.  1.100 /  3.  1.100
  libswscale      2.  1.100 /  2.  1.100
  libswresample   0. 15.100 /  0. 15.100
[matroska,webm @ 002CBBA0] Unknown entry 0xA4
[mpeg2video @ 002CCAE0] ignoring pic cod ext after 0
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'C:\Users\Scott\Videos\Movies\vobinmkv.mkv':
  Metadata:
    creation_time   : 2013-02-19 05:52:38
  Duration: 01:27:40.36, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 5837 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p, 720x576 [SAR 64:45 DAR 16:9]
, 7300 kb/s, 50 fps, 50 tbr, 1k tbn, 50 tbc (default)
    Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s16, 384 kb/s (default)
At least one output file must be specified
<<

zip

User avatar

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Posts: 16471

Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Location: London, UK

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

Scotty in Oz wrote:I installed ffmpeg and follwowed the instructions on this site, please advise if this is not correct
  Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Scott>cd"\Program Files\Serviio\lib"
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\Scott>cd "\Program Files\Serviio\lib"

C:\Program Files\Serviio\lib>ffmpeg.exe -i "C:\Users\Scott\Videos\Movies\vobinmk
v.mkv"
ffmpeg version N-42368-gbf53863 Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Jul 10 2012 03:40:45 with gcc 4.6.3
  configuration: --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-ffplay --disable-ffs
erver --enable-memalign-hack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-librtmp --extra-libs='
-lrtmp -lpolarssl -lws2_32 -lwinmm' --arch=x86 --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enab
le-pthreads --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=i686-w64-mingw32- --pkg-config=pk
g-config
  libavutil      51. 64.100 / 51. 64.100
  libavcodec     54. 33.100 / 54. 33.100
  libavformat    54. 15.102 / 54. 15.102
  libavdevice    54.  1.100 / 54.  1.100
  libavfilter     3.  1.100 /  3.  1.100
  libswscale      2.  1.100 /  2.  1.100
  libswresample   0. 15.100 /  0. 15.100
[matroska,webm @ 002CBBA0] Unknown entry 0xA4
[mpeg2video @ 002CCAE0] ignoring pic cod ext after 0
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'C:\Users\Scott\Videos\Movies\vobinmkv.mkv':
  Metadata:
    creation_time   : 2013-02-19 05:52:38
  Duration: 01:27:40.36, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 5837 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p, 720x576 [SAR 64:45 DAR 16:9]
, 7300 kb/s, 50 fps, 50 tbr, 1k tbn, 50 tbc (default)
    Stream #0:1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s16, 384 kb/s (default)
At least one output file must be specified

Remove this from the c/d/e profile

  Code:
<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="mpeg2video" />
<<

Scotty in Oz

Serviio newbie

Posts: 7

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:51 am

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:45 am

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

Thanks Zip, that worked great!

Regards,

Scott :D
<<

rgill90

Streaming enthusiast

Posts: 26

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

I've tried all these and they didn't work for me. I tried renaming my .mkvs to .avis and that actually works a treat. It also fixe a problem i was having where .mkvs stop playing mid way through.
<<

Scotty in Oz

Serviio newbie

Posts: 7

Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:51 am

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:13 am

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

Following on from my previous posts. Now that I have sorted the profiles for my two DLNA devices (Samsung BD-D5500 and Panasonic VT20 TV), I am interested in purchasing a NAS but am unsure how much RAM I will require. I have checked through numerous posts but I am a little unsure of what transcoding Serviio is doing for these two devices, and whether 256mb RAM will be sufficient. I am interested in the Synology 212j as it has good reviews on this forum. Can you please advise if it will be ok to transcode vob inside mkv files to these two devices.

Cheers, Scott
<<

zip

User avatar

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Posts: 16471

Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Location: London, UK

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

Scotty in Oz wrote:Following on from my previous posts. Now that I have sorted the profiles for my two DLNA devices (Samsung BD-D5500 and Panasonic VT20 TV), I am interested in purchasing a NAS but am unsure how much RAM I will require. I have checked through numerous posts but I am a little unsure of what transcoding Serviio is doing for these two devices, and whether 256mb RAM will be sufficient. I am interested in the Synology 212j as it has good reviews on this forum. Can you please advise if it will be ok to transcode vob inside mkv files to these two devices.

Cheers, Scott

How is this relevant to this topic? Check the NAS forum.
<<

sMaxi

Serviio newbie

Posts: 6

Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:40 am

Re: How to fix FF/REW in .mkv files that are missing the opt

None of the solutions work for me. Even on remuxed mkv file, my Samsung ue40es6307 keeps giving me "This file may not be playable properly" warning and refuses to make seeking work.

MkvMerge "Show the command line" under "Muxing" displays this:
"mkvmerge" -o "/Users/maksimpreobrazenskij/Downloads/(1).mkv" "--language" "0:eng" "--default-track" "0:yes" "--forced-track" "0:no" "--display-dimensions" "0:512x384" "--default-track" "1:yes" "--forced-track" "1:no" "-a" "1" "-d" "0" "-S" "-T" "--no-global-tags" "--no-chapters" "(" "/Users/maksimpreobrazenskij/Downloads/OnePiece001.mkv" ")" "--track-order" "0:0,0:1" "--clusters-in-meta-seek"
Next

Return to Samsung

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.