FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ITUNES M4V FILES NOT SEEN IN FOLDERS

<<

whatisdnls

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:39 am

ITUNES M4V FILES NOT SEEN IN FOLDERS

I downloaded and installed Serviio on my computer, which runs Windows 7 Professional 64, and downloaded the latest 32 and 64 bit versions of Java. Serviio recognized my Samsung UN40D6300 TV and set the profile to Samsung C/D/E Series. On my computer, I navigated to the folders in my iTunes library which contain the iTunes movies that I purchased, all of which have an "m4v" extension, and added the folders to the library. However, when I look in the folders section within Serviio on my computer, the folders are found, but they are empty. They are also empty when viewing the folders on my Samsung TV. However, Serviio will pick up and display non-itunes videos both on my computer and on my TV.

Any idea what I might need to do to make the m4v files visible?

Thank you in advance.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 pm

Re: ITUNES M4V FILES NOT SEEN IN FOLDERS

They are probably DRMed, and therefore unplayable anywhere else than iTunes.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:40 am

There's a new way to view iTunes content on devices that don't support the Apple OS. There is a new site called Movies Anywhere (www.moviesanywhere.com) that allows you to sync your iTunes, Amazon, Google Play and Vudu libraries. They don't have all studios participating yet, but they claim that they are in negotiations with all the major ones. Since Disney is the company behind it, they have some muscle to make it happen.

No, this doesn't enable Serviio to access and stream your iTunes library, but it makes all videos from any of the partners to show in all the various ways to view your videos. After I linked my accounts, I can see my iTunes videos in Google Play, Amazon and Vudu. I just fired up iTunes on my work computer (which has access to the iTunes store restricted) and all of the movies are available there now, too. Just have to take action to download them to the computer.

Again, this doesn't help with Serviio access, but since most of us are streaming to a device that probably has support for one or more of these partners, you can get access to your iTunes library. Too bad we can't download movies from these sites and use Serviio as a local streaming option. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Kerryling

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:23 am

Please be well noted that iTunes movies and TV shows are encoded in M4V format with protection, which prevents you from playing them on Apple devices only.
If you'd like to play iTunes movies and TV show son Samsung smart TV, the best way is to use a professional iTunes Video Converter to convert iTunes M4V to MP4 and other common video files that can be recognized by Samsung TV.
After that, all things will be fixed well. And you can play iTunes videos not only on TV and other devices without ease.

Return to Samsung