FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung Smart TV series 6 quit showing Serviio source...

<<

companion

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:21 pm

Samsung Smart TV series 6 quit showing Serviio source...

Sirs:

I was running Serviio the previous day on my Samsung TV (Series 6 - UN40MU6300). I added another folder for audio as a shared folder on my Windows 7 computer. Everything worked fine that day (audio and video). The next morning, the Serviio source icon would not show up in Samsung Hub as a source. I reinstalled the program (1.10.1) [in fact, have done it three times] and it just will not show up in Samsung TV under Sources so I can choose it; even though the TV tells me I am getting the Internet fine with my WIRED network. Can you explain what could have changed from night to morning where Serviio will not show up on my TV? What should I do? This is very disheartening where Serviio is working fine, and then suddenly over night quit showing up. :roll:
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:29 pm

Re: Samsung Smart TV series 6 quit showing Serviio source...

First, I'm assuming Serviio is running on a Windows PC. If so, most likely Microsoft installed an update that broke or otherwise is blocking Serviio via the firewall. I would have expected a reinstall to fix it, but my next suggestion is to uninstall Serviio, reboot the computer, make sure the Serviio install folder is gone (that there's no C:\Program Files\Serviio folder), then do a clean install.

Personally, I turn my firewalls off on my Serviio computers. The odds of something internal to my network attacking them is pretty slim, but then I have a lot of computer and networking experience so maybe I'm just more comfortable that I have everything protected.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

companion

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:44 pm

Dear Sirs:

I uninstalled, reboot, and reinstalled Serviio (1.10.1), and no change in the results. Serviio acts like it is fine in Windows 7; properly recognizing the Video files in the shared folders, and also recognizes my Samsung TV in “Status,” but Serviio as a source in the Samsung's Smart TV Hub does not show up. I observed that both Serviio and my TV are using the dynamic IP address as 192.168.1.9. I haven't had Windows 7 update manager turned on for years, and I have allowed the Serviio Console in the Windows Firewall, and excluded the Serviio folder in my Avast Antivirus. I have the Samsung TV updates turned off also. I have plenty of hard drive space for Serviio's Transcoded Files, or any temporary files it creates. This is the same exact state I had since last Friday when Serviio was working. I have attached the Serviio's LOG file to this message. There has to be a simple reason why it was working Friday night, and then suddenly not working Saturday morning.
Attachments
serviio.log
(165.68 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:57 pm

companion wrote:Dear Sirs:

I uninstalled, reboot, and reinstalled Serviio (1.10.1), and no change in the results. Serviio acts like it is fine in Windows 7; properly recognizing the Video files in the shared folders, and also recognizes my Samsung TV in “Status,” but Serviio as a source in the Samsung's Smart TV Hub does not show up. I observed that both Serviio and my TV are using the dynamic IP address as 192.168.1.9. I haven't had Windows 7 update manager turned on for years, and I have allowed the Serviio Console in the Windows Firewall, and excluded the Serviio folder in my Avast Antivirus. I have the Samsung TV updates turned off also. I have plenty of hard drive space for Serviio's Transcoded Files, or any temporary files it creates. This is the same exact state I had since last Friday when Serviio was working. I have attached the Serviio's LOG file to this message. There has to be a simple reason why it was working Friday night, and then suddenly not working Saturday morning.

Two devices on the same network cannot use the same IP address. One of them needs to be changed. That could absolutely cause a problem as you describe. Check to see if one if them is using a static IP and change it back to dynamic. I do use static IP addresses on my server computers, but I make sure the DHCP server (usually running on your Internet router) doesn't assign any addresses that I use. In my case, I tell the DHCP server to start assigning Ip address with 20 in the last segment, and all of my static IPs are 19 or below.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

companion

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Dear Sirs:

I wasn't implying that the IP address on my TV was the same as another device; I was only stating that Serviio Console recognized the corrected IP address as my TV. But strangely, I was considering memory as maybe an issue; so I deleted some Apps on my Samsung Smart TV Hub in order to free up memory, turned the TV off, then turn it back on, and your Serviio source actually popped up as a Source, among my Tivo and Toshiba DVD player sources. Is there some relationship with your Serviio source appearing in the Samsung TV Hub and memory? And is your Serviio source actually an app on the TV in comparison with the other apps [such as Netflix] which obviously uses internal memory? :)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:33 pm

No, really shouldn't have anything to do with it. However, I'll say that in my opinion Samsung is terrible with their DLNA functionality. I gave up using the TV player years ago, and instead using a Blu Ray player, Roku or Nvidia Shield as my player. Far more success, a better user interface, and better media support. Just my two cents worth. :D
Dan

<<

companion

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:25 pm

Two questions in relation to our conversation:

1. Is the Serviio "source" icon on the Samsung TV which you click to access your media, an actual APP; or exactly what is it? And does it use the memory of the TV?
2. How can you use a DVD player [like my Toshiba] as a player for your own computer media? Does Serviio appear on such devices?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:26 pm

companion wrote:Two questions in relation to our conversation:

1. Is the Serviio "source" icon on the Samsung TV which you click to access your media, an actual APP; or exactly what is it? And does it use the memory of the TV?
2. How can you use a DVD player [like my Toshiba] as a player for your own computer media? Does Serviio appear on such devices?

1. You might call it an app, or simply a function of the operating system the TV uses. But I don't think it can be "uninstalled", which makes it just a system function. Certainly it uses memory, but only when in actual use. Since it's part of the OS, it's just part of the code that's always running.

2. If the DVD/Blu Ray player supports DLNA (not all do), then yes Serviio just appears as a source, although depending on the player you might have to open an app. For players like a Roku or Shield, then you open an app that works with DLNA. My Sony BD player has a media app and Serviio is just a selectable source within that app.
Dan

Return to Samsung