FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sony BR S370 audio missing from mp3

<<

carnaige

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:38 pm

Sony BR S370 audio missing from mp3

Hi all,

I am a Noob to the world of Serviio and DLNA so please bear with me!

Having just bought the Sony Blue Ray S370 player I am hoping to get it set up to play media from my home PC's.

I am using Windows Vista and Serviio (installed the latest versions from the Serviio website) on both of our laptops and have made sure the Firmware is up to date on the S370. The BR player is connected via Ethernet to my standard SKY router which is wirelessly connected to my laptops (n.b iPlayer is working fine on the BR player)

The S370 is seeing both laptops via Serviio but there seems to be an issue with the S370 playing the audio properly from my shared MP3's. I initially experiencing difficulties seeing the files in the shared folders (I got the 'There are no items to display" error when I went into the shared folders on the player), but after a couple of re-boots of the BR player the files appeared.

Having got the mp3 files to appear on the S370, I am then experiencing problems getting the actual audio from the mp3's. Out of the 3 albums that I have shared and got to show up on the player, only one has played the mp3's with the audio present... the other 2 albums played on the screen but with no audio coming through the TV speakers... very confusing indeed! (I do not use an amp or anything at present, just the TV via HDMI)

Now I was aware that I may have some problems with video files etc but I am concerned that I may have something fundamental wrong in my set up that is causing me to not get the sound coming through from my shared mp3's.

Can anybody help pleease!
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:33 am

Re: Sony BR S370 audio missing from mp3

I have some AVI files with Joint Stereo MP3 audio which the player doesn't play properly. I hear some music but no voices. Are your silent files definitely in full stereo? In the early days of MP3 a lot of people encoded in Joint Stereo (which achieves extras compression from the simple fact that most stereo music has very similar left and right channels).
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

carnaige

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:14 pm

patters wrote:I have some AVI files with Joint Stereo MP3 audio which the player doesn't play properly. I hear some music but no voices. Are your silent files definitely in full stereo? In the early days of MP3 a lot of people encoded in Joint Stereo (which achieves extras compression from the simple fact that most stereo music has very similar left and right channels).

Thanks for the response...

Upon further investigation, it seems that the problem may have something to do with the sample rate of the audio files. Files that i have at 48000hz play fine but anything else (e.g. 44100hz) doesnt seem to come through as audio.

So this isn't a serviio error, more a Player/HDMI (?) limitation.. out of the 1200 mp3s I would like to share with my BR player, only about 30 are 48000hz, so this is a bit of a problem for me!

I'm wandering if it is similar problem to the issues outlined in this thread elsewhere: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=81942

So i now have to decide whether to try to convert all of my audio from 44100hz to 48000hz, or try different output modes (e.g. output the sound from the BR player through an amp, rather than just HDMI and the TV speakers... I'm not sure :? )
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Is this still a problem with Serviio 0.5. Though I don't use my BDP to play music I had tested my own MP3s with 0.4.2 I think and never noticed ones that didn't play. Pretty sure all mine are 44.1Khz. Which region BDP do you have - mines a European one?
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:04 am

Does my suggestion in this thread make a difference?

Return to Sony