FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sony BDP-S370 DTS only 2 Channel from an mkv

<<

milocoon

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Sony BDP-S370 DTS only 2 Channel from an mkv

Hi I`ve just upgraded to version 0.5 of serviio and my European BDP-S370 was detected so I chose the European profile. It will stream MKV fine but if the MKV has a DTS track it only appears to send it as a 2 channel dolby digital signal (thats what my ONKYO AV receiver displays it as anyhow ! Its fine with an MKV with AC3 and this is DD5.1. If the MKV has both DTS and AC3 in it it only sends a 2 channel dolby digital signal and doesn`t give me the option of selecting audio track 2 (AC3)

In version 0.4.2 I could play a MKV with DTS and AC3 and select either track and this would play DD5.1 (AC3) or DTS (DTS) (ONKYO detected DTS fine in Version 0.4.2 of Serviio but maybe stuttered if the bit rate got near 30Mbps)

So Zip is there anything I can enter in the profiles.xml file to fix the dts 2 channel issue !
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Re: Sony BDP-S370 DTS only 2 Channel from an mkv

I didn't touch the profile, but the beta testers did. I'd talk to 'patters' - I think they set up all files to be remuxed into MPEGTS to avoid the stuttering, in which case the audio is probably downmixed into stereo.
<<

milocoon

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi Zip I tried sending a pm to patters but my message is stuck in my outbox, patters doesn`t appear to be a member at the moment if you look at the list of members?

I`ve also noticed that a folder I have which contains .M2TS files is empty when i access its contents on my Sony BDP-S370 but Version 0.4.2 displayed the contents and played the .M2TS files perfectly, in Version 0.5 the .MKV files are shown as M2TS but in Version 0.4.2 they were listed as AVI so at present I think I`m going to be reinstalling 0.4.2 as this is not really an improvement but more a backwards move in my personal case, I had a look at the profiles file and here is the European Sony part of the profile ! Can you see anythink that might be wrong for Version 0.5 ?

Thanks

<Profile id="10" name="Sony BD Player (EU)" extendsProfileId="1">
<!-- European models only - check Serviio forums for profiles for other regions -->
<Detection>
<HttpHeaders>
<X-AV-Client-Info>.*Blu-ray Disc Player.*</X-AV-Client-Info>
</HttpHeaders>
</Detection>
<MediaFormatProfiles>
<!-- force DLNA profile names of supported formats -->
<!-- e.g. though renderer should support wma, it only does so when disguised as mp3 -->
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="audio/mpeg" name="MP3">WMA_BASE</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="audio/mpeg" name="MP3">WMA_FULL</MediaFormatProfile>
<!-- set mkv to divx mime-type to allow subtitle and multiple audio track support -->
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">MATROSKA</MediaFormatProfile>
<!-- for mp4 containers, set MPEG_PS_PAL DLNA profile -->
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="MPEG_PS_PAL">AVC_MP4_MP_SD_AAC_MULT5</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="MPEG_PS_PAL">AVC_MP4_MP_SD_MPEG1_L3</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="MPEG_PS_PAL">AVC_MP4_MP_SD_AC3</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="MPEG_PS_PAL">AVC_MP4_MP_HD_720p_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="MPEG_PS_PAL">AVC_MP4_MP_HD_1080i_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="MPEG_PS_PAL">AVC_MP4_HP_HD_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="MPEG_PS_PAL">AVC_MP4_LPCM</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="MPEG_PS_PAL">MPEG4_P2_MP4_ASP_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="MPEG_PS_PAL">MPEG4_P2_MP4_SP_L6_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="MPEG_PS_PAL">MPEG4_P2_MP4_NDSD</MediaFormatProfile>
<!-- for mpeg transport streams, set MPEG_TS_SD_EU DLNA profile -->
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AAC_MULT5</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AAC_MULT5_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AAC_MULT5_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_MPEG1_L3</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_MPEG1_L3_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_MPEG1_L3_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AAC_MULT5</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AAC_MULT5_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AAC_MULT5_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_MPEG1_L3</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_MPEG1_L3_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_MPEG1_L3_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AC3</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AC3_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_SD_AC3_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_HD_AAC_MULT5</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_HD_AAC_MULT5_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_HD_AAC_MULT5_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_HD_MPEG1_L3</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_HD_MPEG1_L3_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_HD_MPEG1_L3_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_HD_AC3</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_HD_AC3_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_MP_HD_AC3_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_HD_DTS_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_HD_DTS_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_HD_50_LPCM_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_HP_SD_MPEG1_L2_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_HP_SD_MPEG1_L2_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_HP_HD_MPEG1_L2_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">AVC_TS_HP_HD_MPEG1_L2_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">MPEG4_P2_TS_ASP_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">MPEG4_P2_TS_ASP_AAC_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">MPEG4_P2_TS_ASP_AAC_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">MPEG4_P2_TS_ASP_AC3</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">MPEG4_P2_TS_ASP_AC3_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">MPEG4_P2_TS_ASP_AC3_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">MPEG4_P2_TS_ASP_MPEG1_L3</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">MPEG4_P2_TS_ASP_MPEG1_L3_T</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">MPEG4_P2_TS_ASP_MPEG1_L3_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">VC1_TS_AP_L1_AC3_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
<MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts" name="MPEG_TS_SD_EU">VC1_TS_AP_L2_AC3_ISO</MediaFormatProfile>
</MediaFormatProfiles>
<Transcoding>
<!-- remux to mpeg-ts and transcode audio -->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3">
<!-- Sony BDP requests all formats except mpeg-ps and mpeg-ts in 32KB chunks which works badly over wifi -->
<!--
remove all matroska transcoding matches if you stream over a wired connection and want mkv subtitle support and alt audio
tracks
-->
<Matches container="matroska" aCodec="dca" />
</Video>
<!-- remux container only, to minimize server CPU overhead and quality loss -->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts">
<!-- Sony BDP requests all formats except mpeg-ps and mpeg-ts in 32KB chunks which works badly over wifi -->
<!--
remove all matroska transcoding matches if you stream over a wired connection and want mkv subtitle support and alt audio
tracks
-->
<Matches container="matroska" />
<!-- remux mp4 container files to mpeg-ts to allow seeking -->
<!-- this also fixes the renderer's jerky playback of mov container files such as iPhone 4 HD video recordings -->
<Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" />
</Video>
<!-- unsupported codecs will be transcoded into mpeg-ts, mpeg2 video and ac3 audio -->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3">
<Matches container="asf" />
<Matches container="flv" />
<!-- digital camera video formats -->
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="mjpeg" />
<Matches container="mp4" vCodec="mjpeg" />
</Video>
</Transcoding>
<AutomaticImageRotation>true</AutomaticImageRotation>
<LimitImageResolution>false</LimitImageResolution>
</Profile>
<<

zip

Post Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:10 pm

milocoon wrote:Hi Zip I tried sending a pm to patters but my message is stuck in my outbox

That's ok, until he reads the message, it'll be in outbox. You can compare the profiles in 0.4.2 with the one in 0.5, or even copy the one from 0.4.2 to your 0.5 installation.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 am

All mkv files are being remuxed to m2ts in the profile - as Zip says, this was to remove the bad streaming performance these players have over wifi with mkv. The audio streams are simply copied where possible but unfortunately FFMPEG isn't capable of remuxing dts properly at the moment which is why that is transcoded to ac3. Though you can select to preserve multi channel sound during transcode (in the Serviio console prefs) you'll notice that it doesn't work properly with dts - again a problem with FFMPEG.

You could be slightly more specific with the <transcode> section in the XML if you want to play mkvs with dts without remuxing. Something like this (which remuxes mkvs but only those with ac3 and aac audio):

Code:
    <Transcoding>
     <!-- remux container only, to minimize server CPU overhead and quality loss -->
      <Video targetContainer="mpegts">
        <!-- remove all matroska transcoding matches if you stream over a wired connection and want mkv subtitle support and alt audio tracks -->
        <Matches container="matroska" aCodec="aac" />
        <Matches container="matroska" aCodec="ac3" />
        <!-- remux mp4 container files to mpeg-ts to allow seeking -->
        <!-- this also fixes the renderer's jerky playback of mov container files such as iPhone 4 HD video recordings -->
        <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" />
      </Video>
      <!-- unsupported codecs will be transcoded into mpeg-ts, mpeg2 video and ac3 audio -->
      <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3">
        <Matches container="asf" />
        <Matches container="flv" />
        <!-- digital camera video formats -->
        <Matches container="avi" vCodec="mjpeg" />
        <Matches container="mp4" vCodec="mjpeg" />
      </Video>
    </Transcoding>
Last edited by patters on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

milocoon

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 am

Hi Patters, well I`ve learnt a little bit more about Serviio this morning which i`d like to pas on to folks having trouble. It appears on the mac version that if changes are made to a profiles file then for those changes to take place you need to stop the server, quit the console and restart the mac from scratch and then it works fine. This would also apply when upgrading from 0.4 to 0.5 as well so you need to remove the old version, shut down and install the new version.
I pasted in the modified transcoding text you were kind enough to supply for me in the profiles.xml, saved the profiles file using textedit and restarted the mac on version 0.5 then changed the audio to "keep original" on the transcoding tab on the console instead of the default "downmix to stereo" and saved that. Updated the Library and It displays all my MKV and M2TS files as expected. The good news is I can now play DTS or AC3 and display subtitles as before from an MKV and the ONKYO displays either dts or DD5.1, when I change audio stream to dts from AC3 it briefly displays "unsupported format" but then plays the dts fine. On the M2TS files, I used a playstation app called MKV2VOB using crossover on the mac to run this windows app and for dts files it converts the audio header to LPCM which fools Serviio and then a second later the ONKYO displays dts and plays the audio fine.

Thanks for your help and hopefully other people with the European BDP-S370 who wish to be able to choose alternative audio tracks and subtitles now have a way of doing this.

My connection to the BDP-S370 is by LAN cable so the problems with connection speeds are gone but if the bitrate gets to 35Mbps I can get audio stutter which is why I have converted some MKV to M2TS when I was using 0.4.

PS For mac users not sure how to modify a profiles.xml file then go to the Serviio app, Contol Click "Show Package Contents". navigate to Contents/Resource/Java/config folder and there is the profiles.xml file which you need to open with textedit by Control Click "opwn with" other application (select textedit) modify the relevant text, save the file and shut down and restart your computer.
<<

zip

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:56 am

That's weird, you should not need to restart the computer, just the Serviio server (and possibly console if it cannot connect any more). profiles.xml is read on the app start.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:16 pm

milocoon wrote:Thanks for your help and hopefully other people with the European BDP-S370 who wish to be able to choose alternative audio tracks and subtitles now have a way of doing this.

Yes, I left some comments in the XML to allow people to do this - but obviously you'd need to be willing to tinker the profiles.xml to see them. On balance I think it's fair to say most people will want smoother streaming with wifi out of the box - for it to 'just work' - then power users are free to edit the XML for tighter control.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!

Return to Sony