FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

There is no playable file (mini-solution)

<<

Robigus

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:08 pm

There is no playable file (mini-solution)

I have found a possible solution for the dreaded "There is no playable file" message, at least for the Sony BDP-S570. I had been having this problem for some time, and had been all through the forum for a solution. I finally connected some information gleaned from the board into realizing that metadata was confusing the Sony player. I probably went overboard in my solution, which was to:
1. Turn off server in the Serviio console.
2. Erase server in the BDP-S570 menu.
3. Turn off all metadata functions in the Serviio console.
4. Clear all library listings and re-enter, making sure that thumbnail function is de-selected.
5. Force refresh
6. Turn server back on in console.
7. Renew server on the BDP-S570.

After that all files were found and were playable (as long as they were supportable by the transcoding function). I would guess that most of this would not be necessary, perhaps just making sure all metadata functions, including the checkbox in the library section are turned off. I am now immensely happy with a fully functioning Serviio. If Sony ever sends out an update that will allow metadata, I will try turning it back on then.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:29 pm

Re: There is no playable file (mini-solution)

I doubt it's the metadata causing this because the player gets almost the same information with or without it on. The only difference is that instead of 'Proper movie title' it uses 'file name title' and omits elements like genre and description. I'll hopefully get a Sony BDP soon so will be able to test with it.
<<

Robigus

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:10 pm

It might not be the metadata itself, but when I had it turned on, the file refresh would run for hours without any visible results. After I turned it all off, the refresh took about a minute, and I had all the files from all the folders in my library listing :D . I would think that the problem is more likely in the Sony player itself, since it will not (as of yet) accept thumbnails and such for anything but images :?: .
<<

tvannaman2000

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:47 am

I'm having the same problem now. Everytime I turn my S570 on, I have to remove the Serviio icon and re-add it before the 'no playable file' error goes away and I can watch video.

Very interesting...

Tim.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:51 am

Robigus wrote:I have found a possible solution for the dreaded "There is no playable file" message, at least for the Sony BDP-S570. I had been having this problem for some time, and had been all through the forum for a solution. I finally connected some information gleaned from the board into realizing that metadata was confusing the Sony player. I probably went overboard in my solution, which was to:
1. Turn off server in the Serviio console.
2. Erase server in the BDP-S570 menu.
3. Turn off all metadata functions in the Serviio console.
4. Clear all library listings and re-enter, making sure that thumbnail function is de-selected.
5. Force refresh
6. Turn server back on in console.
7. Renew server on the BDP-S570.

After that all files were found and were playable (as long as they were supportable by the transcoding function). I would guess that most of this would not be necessary, perhaps just making sure all metadata functions, including the checkbox in the library section are turned off. I am now immensely happy with a fully functioning Serviio. If Sony ever sends out an update that will allow metadata, I will try turning it back on then.

hmm someone is thinking to far outside the box on this one. ( K .I .S.S )

Robigus wrote:It might not be the metadata itself, but when I had it turned on, the file refresh would run for hours without any visible results. After I turned it all off, the refresh took about a minute, and I had all the files from all the folders in my library listing :D . I would think that the problem is more likely in the Sony player itself, since it will not (as of yet) accept thumbnails and such for anything but images :?: .

That would make sense as on slower connection it takes longer to find metadata, but that wont have any affect on the original issue with the none playable files.

The real solution:

The only way to resolve this issue is to set static IP address for all devices ( serviio , and any renders ) as for some reason the sony player is not realising that serviio is the same and is adding a new icon for it or refusing to play files.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Robigus

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:24 pm

I had set static I.P. addresses prior to resorting to my desperate attempt, without any difference in playability. I have noticed since this "fix" that if I make any changes to the folder structure, such as renaming a folder or adding a folder, I have to clear the server from the Sony server list, then add it back in before the new folders are seen. However, just adding a new file to an existing folder does not cause the same problems. The file is recognized as soon as the Sony is turned on and connects to the server.

Return to Sony