FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Fast forward not function for dts video in playstation 4

<<

tonileung

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:06 pm

Fast forward not function for dts video in playstation 4

Hi,

I am very new to serviio and transcoding stuff, so please bear with me if I ask anything silly.

I just bought a synology DS216+ and installed Serviio media server successfully. And I am playing video files with Playstation 4.

I could play mkv with ac3 audio codec without any problem. However if the mkv files are with dts audio, seems that they are transcoded to m2ts files which could still be played but the fast forward/backward function was disabled.

How could I get the fast forward/backward function working for those files? Thanks!

And thanks Serviio for the great server! I really like it!
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:23 am

Re: Fast forward not function for dts video in playstation 4

The PS4 does not support fast forward or rewind on transcoded or remuxed videos. I haven't found a way yet to overcome this.
The PS4 also doesn't support DTS, so the Serviio PS4 profile will transcode the audio - resulting in the above.

The only way to overcome this presently is to change your media file to ensure the first audio track in your file is not DTS, but is one supported by the PS4 natively. You can use something like MKVMerge to change the order of the audio streams (if your file is MKV and there is a secondary audio stream that is supported by the PS4 - eg AC3) or XMedia Recode for other file types, or if you need to make a new audio stream from the existing DTS. Both process are non-destructive if done correctly. The end-game is to make the file compatible with the PS4 so that transcoding is not required.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

tonileung

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:29 am

Thanks for your reply. Yes I just used Remux for Mac to convert a mkv/dts to ac3 in which FF/rewind works. However I have quite a number of mkv/dts videos. It would take me a long time to convert all of them. Seems that PS4 is not so good as a media player. (I also have some mkv files ripped from DVD but couldn't play in PS4 even it's not dts). May consider get another alternative.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:58 am

Agree - the PS4 Media Player leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately it is an app so there's hope it may improve in future updates.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.

Return to Sony