FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sony TV wont find Serviio

<<

serviiosony

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Sony TV wont find Serviio

Hello:

My Sony Bravia TV will not find the Serviio drive.

I am running Serviio on my mac. When i open the program, it shows my Sony Bravia as green, with same IP address as i can see on my Bravia itself.

I have no firewall.

I have refreshed the server connections on my Sony TV. There is only one there now.

I can see my Vuze drive on my Sony TV.

In the past i have been able to see my Serviio driver on and off.

I am also using Unlocator.

I have tried to read through other such tickets and it seems that it has something to do with not having a static IP address? Or something like that?

I do not understand!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Rgds
<<

BobmcFish

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Sony TV wont find Serviio

Hi

I was having a similar issue. Suddenly my Sony TV and Serviio stopped talking to each other. This has been working for a couple of years now so why suddenly stop. I ran the Sony Network checker on the TV which confirmed that it could see my Mac's Serviio service but it was still not showing as available when I access the Videos section of the TV's options. I upgraded to Serviio 1.6 (Pro by mistake!) but it still didn't work. Then I remembered that I had been mucking about with my Wifi and Ethernet connections on my Mac. I also remembered a recent OS upgrade (I'm running 10.1.5 Yosemite)

Last night I checked my Sharing options and found that I only had the Screen Sharing option enabled to allow me to connect via VNC. I enabled File Sharing and Remote Login. This morning I checked and found that Serviio was suddenly available again and is now serving content to my TV once again. I don't know which, if either of these options enabled Serviio to connect to my TV (or vice-versa) but just in case it helps you I thought I'd share this

Also, my Mac doesn't have a static IP Address so I don't believe it needs one. I think that Serviio advertises and, since on the same network, the TV finds it and recognises it based on the profile in use by Serviio. As you can maybe tell, I'm no expert so some of this is supposition

Good luck
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:13 pm

It is strongly recommended to run a static IP on your Serviio computer. This eliminates one potential error spot. This way both Serviio always knows its IP address and your playback devices knows where to look. Sony in particular "remembers" the last IP address of the server and watches for it.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

serviiosony

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:03 am

Thank you that makes sense. How do i run a static IP pls?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:52 pm

serviiosony wrote:Thank you that makes sense. How do i run a static IP pls?

I have no Mac knowledge, so can't tell you the steps to follow. If you know little to nothing about networking, the hardest part may be determining what IP address to use. You need to use one that your network won't assign to another device.

IP addresses are assigned by something on your network that is running a DHCP server. This is usually your Internet router (i.e. cable box or DSL modem). Most home devices assign an address in the 192.168.0.x range (with the x being a number between 1 and 254), but there are others. You need to find out what range being used, and find out if there's some numbers in the range that are not issued automatically (often assigning numbers beginning at 10 or 20 and going higher), so you can choose one outside of the range. When you set the IP address, you also need to know the netmask (almost always 255.255.255.0), default gateway and DNS settings. The DNS and gateway are usually your Internet router, but some will assign different DNS server numbers.

Didn't mean to go off on a networking tutorial, but just wanted you to know there's some things you have to know to do it right. Hopefully someone with Mac knowledge can help you out with your computer specific info. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

serviiosony

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:59 pm

Thank you this is extremely helpful! The problem is most certainly then caused by the Unlocator DNS settings in order to be able to access US Netflix :).

Since you have been so extremely helpful, dare i ask one final question please? What is IP v.6? Does it matter if i have it on or off?

Thank you so much for everything!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:01 pm

IPv6 is the new 64 bit address scheme for the Internet. The previous version, IPv4, is based on 32 bits and is reaching it's limit of assignable numbers. It's far too complex to discuss here, and I'm certainly not the best qualified to explain it. For your home purposes, it won't matter for the time being if it's turned off, as the Internet is running both versions simultaneously. Some day, however, that will change and everyone will need to ensure they are up on IPv6. It doesn't hurt anything on your network to be running both.
Last edited by atc98092 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan

<<

serviiosony

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:37 am

Thank you thats perfect. Makes a lot of sense!
<<

mikep1947

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 22, 2016 6:33 am

I have a similar problem with my SONY 2012 BRAVIA TV. I just downloaded the 1.6 version of Serviio and it shows up in the list of DNLA devices on the TV but when I click on the server I get a message saying it cannot connect to the server. The Serviio console, however, shows that Serviio finds the TV. I've checked the ports and all seems to be working properly. Can't figure out how to fix the problem.

Return to Sony