FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PS3: nearly every video stops playing

<<

EndOfInfinity

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:50 pm

PS3: nearly every video stops playing

Hi all,

Unfortunately this streaming server is barely usable with my PS3. The reason is that nearly every (mkv) video stops playing with an error message like "content can't be played". (it's a german PS3 so thats just a translation from the german message "Inhalt konnte nicht wiedergegeben werden".)

Sometimes the error occurs always at the same position of the video - sometimes it occurs "randomly" every 10-20 minutes.

I looked at the log files but there's not a single entry showing an error.

I just tried another streaming server: Univerversal Media Server - and it works with every video i tried.

So it seems that the transcoding output from serviio causes the error.

Is there a way to change the PS3 profile?

Regards
Markus
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:53 am

Re: PS3: nearly every video stops playing

We have been using PS3's for years now with Serviio without problems. My son only has the PS3 connected to a non-smart TV - and I would certainly hear if he had a problem ;)

The PS3 cannot play MKV files natively, so even the UMS must be transcoding (or remuxing) them. Some things to look at:

• first things first - make sure your PC isn't going to sleep during playback;
  • Ensure you have enough space for the transcode file (check Serviio Console, Delivery, Transcoding to find the drive Serviio's uses - should have at least 10x the size of your original file free)
  • Turn off "Enable burned-in subtitles" in Serviio Console, Delivery, Subtitles if enabled.
  • Try a MP4 file that can be played natively on the PS3 (this will tell us if the issue is related to transcoding or not)
  • Check the detailed log - that may show what is happening;
  • Post MediaInfo for one of your MKV files.
and... yes, you can edit the PS3 profile but you need to know what to edit first (MediaInfo will help).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Could be wifi interference too. To rule that out try a wired connection and see if the problem persists. I've seen similar problem reports resolved by the person testing on a wired link, and then buying powerline ethernet devices later as a workaround.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

EndOfInfinity

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:11 pm

It's definitively a transcoding issue. I tried another server software (U'niversal Media Server) and it works flawless.

- The PC never goes into standby or sleep mode
- i'm using a wired lan
- PC has enough space - it's a 1TB SSD with almost 500 GB free disk space

I will try the extended log mode - perhaps it shows an error...
<<

EndOfInfinity

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:33 pm

It seems that this is the relevant error:

Code:
2018-03-24 14:28:22,097 DEBUG [WebServer] I/O error: Connection reset by peer: socket write error

It appears every time my "test" video stops at the exact same point.

Return to Sony