FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

[SOLVED] Sony Bravia - Aspect Ratio fixing

<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Re: Sony Bravia - Aspect Ratio fixing

augustf wrote:I just tried Test1_640x336_short.avi. It occupies the center 1/3 of the screen at "Full" (much less with the "Normal" setting). Applying "Zoom" gives the most picture on the screen and doesn't appear to lose any pixels. At "Zoom," only about the top and bottom 1/4 of the screen are black. I'm assuming this is about normal.

Could you post a photo to be sure?

EDIT : This is mine:
Attachments
Sony_Bravia_2010.png
Test1_640x336_short.avi on Sony Bravia 2010 model
Sony_Bravia_2010.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 20557 times
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

augustf

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:57 pm

I'm able to choose from the 5 "Wide" options: Zoom, Wide Zoom, Normal,etc, but I'm unable to find any option resembling the "Auto Format," "4:3 Default," "Auto Display Area," or "Display Area" options you mention in your initial post on the US model of the KDL-46NX720 on any of the menus I had access to.
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:03 pm

augustf wrote:I'm able to choose from the 5 "Wide" options: Zoom, Wide Zoom, Normal,etc, but I'm unable to find any option resembling the "Auto Format," "4:3 Default," "Auto Display Area," or "Display Area" options you mention in your initial post on the US model of the KDL-46NX720 on any of the menus I had access to.

Do you try Home -> Display -> Screen ?
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/iManuals/en ... notpc.html

Found the same on US esupport :
http://esupport.sony.com/docs/imanual/N ... pc_uc.html

EDIT : Suggest this :

-------- Enlarges the picture horizontally to fill the screen when the original source is 4:3. When the original source is 16:9 (High-definition source), select this option to display the 16:9 picture in its original size.
- Auto Format : Off
-------- Automatically changes “Screen Format/Wide Mode” to match the input signal
- 4:3 Default : Off (greyed)
-------- Sets the default screen format for a 4:3 broadcast.
- Auto Display Area : Off (greyed)
-------- Automatically adjusts the picture to the most appropriate display area.
- Display Area : +1
-------- Adjusts the picture display area. Select “Full Pixel” to display the original picture when parts of the picture are cut,“+1” to display the original picture,“Normal” to display the recommended size picture, or “-1” to enlarge the picture
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
<<

augustf

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Here's my display of that video using the most optimal setting I could find - Zoom instead of Normal or Wide Zoom.

<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:10 pm

Strange....

What are settings when you press HOME -> Display -> Screen on remote control ?

What is the profile selected on serviio console ?

Could you post the ffmpeg command line used with the test file ?
Illico
<<

augustf

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:42 pm

It took me quite awhile to find the settings you were referring to. They were under Home-> Settings -> Picture and Display -> Screen

I changed Screen Format/Wide to Wide Zoom - the only thing with the word "Wide" in it.
I changed Auto Format to Off
4:3 Default became greyed out
I changed Auto Display Area to Off
I changed Display Area to +1

There was also a selector at the top to choose to apply these settings to: "Current Input" or "Common." I have no idea what that meant, so I changed the settings in both. Unfortunately, this had no effect on any video - including the sample AVI - whatsoever.

I'm currently using the 2010 Bravia Profile (the 2011, as discussed in the related thread, is nonfunctional with the KDL-46NX720).
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi Illico, your the best person to ask.

Im playing 4:3 mp4 files and they come stretched on my Bravia 2010
Here is an example that you can download - http://db.tt/SZCcHZjX

Is there a DAR profile i can do for 4:3 ratio file, my other mp4 play the correct ratio so dont want to tamper with them :)
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:59 pm

augustf wrote:I'm currently using the 2010 Bravia Profile (the 2011, as discussed in the related thread, is nonfunctional with the KDL-46NX720).

OK. Could you edit profiles.xml file and remove all the DAR="16:9" elements from "sony2012" and "sony2010" profile section ?
Then restart serviio service and retry with the sample file.
Illico
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:31 pm

Xmantium wrote:Im playing 4:3 mp4 files and they come stretched on my Bravia 2010
Here is an example that you can download - http://db.tt/SZCcHZjX

I download your sample.
This is a mp4 with AVC video and AAC audio, so this file is only remux to mpegts container and aspect ratio could not be changed.
ffmpeg.exe -fflags +genpts -i D:\AVI\Big.Brother.S14E08.mp4 -y -copyts -c:v copy -vbsf h264_mp4toannexb -c:a copy -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -sn -f mpegts D:\temp\ServiioTemp\Serviio\transcoding-temp-1438-sony2010-ORIGINAL.stf

You have to use the remote-control to change the display option to "4:3".

Or you can edit the profile to transocode MP4/AVC/AAC file, but it will be for all files.
Illico
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:04 pm

Thankyou Illico, just checked Big Brother US wiki, its the last and ONLY program in America to still broadcast is 4:3 ratio! Damn CBS :x
Think it makes the audience feel their looking at a spy cameras!

I'll definately leave it to remux and change by remote, my low powered NAS CPU needs to rest
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

augustf

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Illico wrote:
augustf wrote:I'm currently using the 2010 Bravia Profile (the 2011, as discussed in the related thread, is nonfunctional with the KDL-46NX720).

OK. Could you edit profiles.xml file and remove all the DAR="16:9" elements from "sony2012" and "sony2010" profile section ?
Then restart serviio service and retry with the sample file.

Illico, removing those DAR attributes from the profiles.xml file under Sony 2010 and 2012 worked for me! The videos I was having issues with now all show full screen and without pixel loss. Suggest you apply this change for the US versions of the KDL-46NX720 and related.
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:44 pm

augustf wrote:Suggest you apply this change for the US versions of the KDL-46NX720 and related.

OK.

Could you confirm that adding the following code lines is a solution for you (detection was removed, in conflict with non US models)?

Code:
   <Profile id="sony2012us" name="Sony Bravia TV (2012) - US" extendsProfileId="sony2012">
         <!-- 2012 models for US (without avi/divx)
             - Still images: JPEG, MPO
             - Music: MP3, linear PCM, WMA, MP4
             - Video: AVCHD, MPEG2, MPEG1, MP4 (AVC), MP4 (MPEG4), WMV -->
      <Transcoding>
         <!-- Transcode DivX, AVI -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" maxVBitrate="17000" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="avi" vCodec="mpeg4" />
            <Matches container="avi" vCodec="msmpeg4" />
            <Matches container="avi" vCodec="mjpeg" />
         </Video>
      </Transcoding>
   </Profile>

<Profile id="sony2011us" name="Sony Bravia TV (2011) - US" extendsProfileId="sony2011">
         <!-- 2011 models for US (without avi/divx)
             - Still images: JPEG
             - Music: MP3, linear PCM, WMA
             - Video: AVCHD, MPEG2, MPEG1, MP4 (AVC), MP4 (MPEG4), WMV -->
      <Transcoding>
         <!-- Transcode DivX, AVI -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" maxVBitrate="17000" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384" forceInheritance="true">
            <Matches container="avi" vCodec="mpeg4" />
            <Matches container="avi" vCodec="msmpeg4" />
            <Matches container="avi" vCodec="mjpeg" />
         </Video>
      </Transcoding>
   </Profile>
Illico
<<

augustf

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Illico - confirmed. Adding those new US profiles solves the aspect ratio issues on my US KDL-46NX720. All other files seem to play without issue as well.
<<

rahno

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Re: [SOLVED] Sony Bravia - Aspect Ratio fixing

Hey Illicom hello Serviio Team,

i've jumped from Plex over PS3 Media Server and Universal Media Server to Serviio. But non of them is able to prepare the videos in the correct aspect ratio.
The best result is with the losing of some pixels on left and right side.

Although the target device, a Sony Bravia KDL-46Z5800, has the latest firmware 1.740SA from 2011 there is no "+1" or "Full Pixel" Screen Mode Option in the Home -> Settings -> Display Area -> Network-Streaming Menu.

Screen Mode Option "Full Pixel" is only available in HDMI Mode not in NetworkStreaming.
With Network Streaming there are following Options "Smart", "Wide", "4:3", sometimes "14:9"
The best result (with the losing of some pixels on left and right side) is with ScreenMode set to "Wide".

with Smart there are more Pixels lost (left and right) its kind of a zoom
4:3 == 14:9 == Wide

# Plex isn't able to add padding or i didn't find the syntax for FFmpeg based PlexTranscoder and PlexNewTranscoder.

# PS3 Media Server and Universal Media Server with using
  Code:
KeepAspectRatio = true

or
  Code:
OverrideFFmpegVideoFilter = "pad=max(iw\\,ih*16/9):max(ih\\,iw/16*9):(ow-iw)/2:(oh-ih)/2:yellow,setdar=4:3"

with
  Code:
OverrideFFmpegVideoFilter = pad=max(iw\\,ih*2/1):max(ih\\,iw/2*1):(ow-iw)/2:(oh-ih)/2, setdar=4/3

the width is fully shown but the hight gets lost.

# Serviio
# in Serviio's Sony Bravia TV (2009) profile i needed to change h264 to mpeg2video transcoding
  Code:
      <Transcoding>
         <!-- Transcode baseline h264 in mp4/non-isom container -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" maxVBitrate="17000" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="192">
            <Matches container="*"/>
            <!--Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" profile="baseline" ftypNotIn="isom" /-->
         </Video>
         <Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetACodec="ac3">
            <Matches container="mpeg" vCodec="mpeg2video" aCodec="mp2" />
         </Video>
      </Transcoding>

# i also tried (as Illicom mentioned) removing all DAR=16:9 from all sony inheritanced profiles.
this results in a bigger loos of left and right pixels

any other tips i can try?

thanks
<<

rahno

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 08, 2015 2:53 am

after 4 hours of testing i found a solution - with cpu overhead but atleast the picture is in the correct aspect ratio and completely visible.
I think its definitly a Sony Bravia Z5800 overscan issue because of the lack "+1/Fullpixel" Screen Mode Option

Panel has (1920 x 1080) px
In Network (Video) Mode its only (1820 x 1024) px from the screencenter visible

Maybe someone knows how to get in the Sony TV Enhanced Service Menu to enable and set hidden functions like +1 or FullPixel also in Network (Video) Mode

for now i have to stick with this scaling (need to add a check if new output height > 1024)

Sony Bravia KDL-46Z5800
  Code:
# Universal Media Server
OverrideFFmpegVideoFilter = "scale=w=1820:h=-1","pad=1920:1080:(ow-iw)/2:(oh-ih)/2:red","setdar=4:3"

how can i implement this scaling routine in serviio?
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Fri May 08, 2015 7:36 am

I also have some pixel lost in left/rigth side on my 2010 sony device.
rahno wrote:....
Sony Bravia KDL-46Z5800
  Code:
# Universal Media Server
OverrideFFmpegVideoFilter = "scale=w=1820:h=-1","pad=1920:1080:(ow-iw)/2:(oh-ih)/2:red","setdar=4:3"

how can i implement this scaling routine in serviio?

You can not in serviio the videofilter is implemented in core source code. If you want to make tests, you have to contact serviio developer (Zip).
<<

rahno

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 08, 2015 5:36 pm

thanks Illico for the quick reply.

I also have some pixel lost in left/rigth side on my 2010 sony device.

looks like i miss readed, thought u fixed it with the +1 or FullPixel ScreenMode option on the sony device.

You can not in serviio the videofilter is implemented in core source code. If you want to make tests, you have to contact serviio developer (Zip).

sad to hear, thought that serviio has a parser for ffmpeg commands.

i guess i stick with Universal Media Server, I like the way it serves switching between transcoder (ffmpeg/mencoder/...) and language directly in the selection menu on target device. its very flexible.

however i have one last hope in getting the Sony Bravia Z5800 to show the complete video without scaling and padding.
if i understand the configs correct

Code:
  <Transcoding>
    <!-- Transcode baseline h264 in mp4/non-isom container -->
    <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" maxVBitrate="17000" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="192" DAR="16:9">
      <!--Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" profile="baseline" ftypNotIn="isom" /-->
      <Matches container="*"/>
    </Video>
    <Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetACodec="ac3">
      <Matches container="mpeg" vCodec="mpeg2video" aCodec="mp2" />
    </Video>
  </Transcoding>

currently the videostream is transcoded to mpeg2video codec in a mpegts container.

As Alexander Leidinger found out (http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2011/09/1 ... a-formats/) the Sony BRAVIA 5800 TV is capable of reading streams with H264 codec in a TS container.

till now i'm not completely able to verify this.
for me it works only with videos 16:9 ratio. videos with 1920x800 (2.4/1 ratio) are not displayed at all (screen black or a still image with artefacts) but audio is working.

the artefacts give me the hope that its only a small option in the big codec jungle that isnt set correct for the bravia to read and display the image of the video stream.

Code:
    <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" maxVBitrate="17000" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="192" DAR="16:9">
      <Matches container="*"/>
    </Video>

what are baseline and isom doing?

Edit:
1. I found the description of baseline and isom at http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264
2. Matches is the wrong part as it only says which Videos should get Transcoded.

I try to figure out which transcoding options (http://serviio.org/index.php?option=com ... icle&id=24) make the picture visible even if its not 16:9
Previous

Return to Sony