FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

No dts via PS3 when streaming from PC

<<

lumix2day

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:16 am

No dts via PS3 when streaming from PC

Hello!

I am currently in the process of switching from PS3 Media Server to serviio and so far everything works great, the only issue I have are video files with dts audio track in combination with my PS3.I have an A/V receiver connected to the PS3 via optical output and with the PS3 media streamer, I was able to simply stream certain files containing a dts track to the PS3 - and the PS3 then passed the dts stream on to the A/V receiver.

Unfortunately though, the same files with serviio don't seem to work in the same manner. I have selected 'Keep original' in the Audio settings under Transcoding but despite this setting, the stream seems to be converted to PCM - at least the A/V receiver only shows a Surround PCM stream but no dts stream anymore. Switching back to the PS3 media streamer with the same file and I get the dts stream.

Is there anything I can set-up in the profiles to ensure that dts is being passed through to the PS3?

Thanks!
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: No dts via PS3 when streaming from PC

lumix2day wrote:Is there anything I can set-up in the profiles to ensure that dts is being passed through to the PS3?

No

- PS3 does not support audio DTS natively, thats why serviio transcode to LPCM.
- When DTS is an audio track of a movie, serviio will transocde to AC3.

But, yes PS3 can pass through the DTS audio track to the optical output for the external audio receiver/decoder.

From what I understand:
To tricks the PS3 and support this over DLNA, the server have to delivered the DTS audio track with a LPCM 2.0 mimetype.
This "trick" is not supported by serviio.
But PS3 Media Server support it.

Don't know if serviio dev (zip), would implement this.

Some read:
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... ugh#p66208
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... ugh#p50230
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

lumix2day

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:31 pm

Hello!

Thank you for your response - let's just hope je might implement this little trick to convince the PS3 to accept dts, it is kind of annoying to switch between two servers depending on the media ;)

Thanks again!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:39 pm

will it not work by transcoding to lpcm then?

tryu to add this to the ps3 profile, to the top of transcoding section

Code:
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="lpcm">
            <Matches container="*" aCodes="dca"/>
         </Video>
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:54 am

zip wrote:will it not work by transcoding to lpcm then?

I'm not sure, with your suggestion, DTS will be transcoded to LPCM so you'll lost surround tracks, right ?
The PS3 Media Server, delivers DTS in native format but with another mime-type (=LPCM 2.0), then the PS3 passes through the audio stream to the optical output without any change. So the Audio Receiver, decodes DTS audio stream (5.1).
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

bartman

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Hello, are there any news regarding the feature request to enable Serviio for masking DTS stream as LPCM to be able to let the A/V receiver do the DTS decoding?

Return to Sony