FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio & LG BP 620 drops connection

<<

quark122

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:03 am

Serviio & LG BP 620 drops connection

I've had Serviio 1.3.1 and my LG BP 620 working together for several months... suddenly, out of the blue, they don't work.

When the serviio server is running, it recognizes the LG connection (green dot) initially, but as soon as I select the Serviio to browse for movies, Serviio flips to red dot (disconnected). I've rebooted the server, reinitialized the LG, cleared the logs (which show no connection attempt from the LG).

Both the server and the LG are wired connections. Serviio is running on a Windows Server 2008, firewall off... the media is stored on a 3 TB USB drive connected to the server.

The only recognizable change to the network recently was when I replaced a surge protector on the living room switch (intellijack), which connects to a Linksys Router, to another LInksys Router to Serviio. Unfortunately, given the network layout here, without completely remodeling the house (by either ripping out drywall/frame to run cables, or by putting the server in the living room - which my wife disapproves of), I cannot remove any of the routers.

--Will
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:28 am

Re: Serviio & LG BP 620 drops connection

To clarify your network:

TV --- Switch ---- Router 2 ----------- Router 1 ---- Serviio Server

Is this correct? What connects the two routers (wireless, wired, powerline)? If not wireless, how are the two routers connected (eg. from LAN port on router 1 to WAN port on router 2)? All other connections are wired?

Did any of the devices reset configuration when you changed your surge protection? My initial thoughts are that broadcast packets are not getting through (some routers will filter them coming from the WAN side for obvious reasons). Does a detailed log show anything?
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

quark122

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:44 am

Yep - DVD ---> Switch ---> Router 1 ---> Router 2 ---> Serviio

All connections between switches & routers are wired, DVD is wired to the switch, Serviio Server is wired to Router 2. There is (technically) a wireless router (in addition to the 2 in the "picture") in the house but it does not have any involvement in this process.

I did the initial surge protector replacement last night - the DVD->Serviio connection was somewhat working, but it kept stalling for a second or so during playback. I think it is coincidence that this has cropped up subsequent to that.

Tonight, it has gotten worse. I just rebooted the DVD & Serviio again (Serviio was up & running and then the DVD)... and the DVD player just spins trying to display the list of media.

--Will
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:54 am

How do the two routers connect - from LAN port on 2 to WAN port on 1? Try going from LAN port to LAN port (router 1 then becomes a switch). Am curious - why have router 1 at all (can't you just go straight into the switch)?
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

quark122

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:07 am

They are connected LAN to LAN and have worked for years this way. have to go to both routers the deficiency of the design in the house.

Switch (in LR - Intellijack NJ200) utilizes network wire in the wall to go back to the original wiring "central." Router 1 (in that closet) crossdecks to Router 2, Wireless Router, and TWC Modem in NEW wiring "central." Server wire runs through attic to NEW wiring "central."

When I first designed the network layout, the 2nd br on the first floor was going to be the home office, so i had access to the frame before the walls went up. I ran all network wire to the router/switch there. Then I got married and had a child - downstairs home office became child's bedroom. Servers moved upstairs to loft, switches moved to utility room above the water softener.

--Will
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:28 am

OK, initial thoughts were the network (and could still be the case if the config of the router or switch changed when the power died), but maybe do some troubleshooting. Is it possible to:
  • move the DVD (as a test, not permanently) to be connected to the same router as the Serviio server. Know its a bit of mucking about but this will tell us if the DVD player is still good (don't know what prompted the replacement of the surge protector, but did the DVD player get zapped?); and/or
  • use an alternative device in lieu of the DVD player? If this other device works it would signify that the network was OK.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator

Return to LG