FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MediaBrowser on (newer) LG TV? (why is flash needed?)

<<

fudster

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 08, 2015 2:42 am

MediaBrowser on (newer) LG TV? (why is flash needed?)

apologies, I have done some looking around and hypothesizing on this, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

I have a newer (WebOS) LG Smart TV. I purchased Pro to use MediaBrowser in the LG's browser (and on iOS w/subtitles, per my other post tonight). I see that it won't play without Flash, but I'm puzzled - why don't we have an LG profile that delivers HTML5? Wouldn't that work on the smart TV?

Is there a way to trick out a profile that works on the LG WebOS Smart TV?
<<

hansolo

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:46 am

Re: MediaBrowser on (newer) LG TV? (why is flash needed?)

Completely agree. MediaBrowser as a whole needs a bit of TLC and flash should only be used if client doesnt not Support HTML5 player. ALL modern browsers and modern tvs tend to support HTML5 player.
<<

norm

Serviio lover

Post Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Seems strange that LG haven't included DLNA/UPnP functionality yet. Or do you need to create a profile for it? Have you tried a different manufacturers profile to see if it will work?
<<

hansolo

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:42 pm

LG do have a dlna player but it is rubbish. The UI is big and chunky and its not very easy to navigate. A web ui, like mediabrowser, is sorely needed.

LG recommends the use of Plex and Playz (3rd party web ui that costs $5) and that works pretty well. The only problem is Plex isn't very good at identifying the difference between 3d version and 2d version of a video file (even though they are named differently and are in different folders). So for example if i go to play Frozen 2D it launches the the 3D version. If plex showed a popup saying "we found 2 streams for this moive, which one do you want to play" then i wouldn't even be here trying to use serviio.

If i am honest i am so far dissappointed with serviio pro it doesn't offer me anything useful that i didn't get from the free version. Does the guy who maintains it even check on the forum these days?

Return to LG