FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Please help with connecting LG 55LE5400

<<

blahblah

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:32 am

Please help with connecting LG 55LE5400

I have a somewhat atypical setup that I'm sure someone has encountered before. My wi-fi router and cable-modem are upstairs and I just got ethernet enabled tv/blu-ray player. In order to be able to connect multiple devices to the internet, instead of buying a wi-fi usb dongle for each device, i opted to purchase a wireless bridge that I can place downstairs to connect to my existing wi-fi router. I then used a switch to split the connection out to multiple devices.

Therefore:
PC running Serviio is connected via 802.11g to router.
Wireless Bridge (Cisco WET610N) also connected to same router.
Ethernet switch connected to the bridge, then wired to the TV.

TV seems to pick up the internet connection fine and I'm able to stream HD on Netflix and browse Youtube, etc.

LB Knowledgebase says that I just need to go to "My Media" from the menu to pick up any DLNA content on the network, but when I do, I just get the error "No storage units available".

My wi-fi router shows my PC has the addr 192.168.1.2 and the bridge is 192.168.1.4 (I reserved it so it doesnt change). My TV also confirms it is getting 192.168.1.4.

On the PC I've gone into Inbound Rules for Windows Firewall (Windows 7) and allowed ports 8895/TCP and 1900/UDP.

I'm not sure where to go from here and any help would be appreciated. I've tried adding a renderer profile of Generic DLNA profile with the address 192.168.1.4 to no avail.

Please help :)
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:27 am

Re: Please help with connecting LG 55LE5400

That is so far from " typical setup " as is possible to do, not that there is such a thing as a typical setup as every setup is different but i know what you were trying to say.

ok there are really 3 options as i can see it open to you and that is:

1. setup port forward on the bridge so that any connection to the bridges ip *.*.1.4 on the correct ports and forwarded to teh pc running serviio..

2. bin the bridge idea and go simple and hard wire ALL the devices to wired switch and then connect that switch to your wireless AP ( your internet router)

3. bin the bridge and spend some cash and buy usb dongles compatible with each device and connect then all wirelessly directly to your wireless AP ( your internet router)

For the BEST results i would recommend option 2 but if you really have to option 3 is enough althoguh you may experience stuttering on HD movies as you are running wirelessly. I would never suggest option 1 to anyone as its far to complicated a setup and is just adding a ton of stuff and hours of setup that are not required.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

blahblah

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:57 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Option 2 is really a non-starter for me given my floor-plan.

Option 3 I could probably go for - I could keep my current setup for connection to some of the devices and just buy the $40 dongle for the TV.

Option 1 - could you elaborate further please?

I assume you mean to set up the bridge so that traffic outbound on ports 8895 and 1900 is routed to 192.168.1.2 (pc with serviio)?

I looked around in the admin interface of the wireless bridge and do not see anything to be able to do this.

Thanks
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:31 pm

does the bridge have a DMZ ??? cause if you put ur pc in there that might them allow your tv to see the pc running serviio..
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

blahblah

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:36 pm

I'll take a look but I don't think it does. It allows setting a static IP or letting it get the IP via the DHCP on the router it's connecting to, as well as specifying the WEP/WPA details for connecting to router. Beyond that, it doesn't seem to have much in the way of manipulating ports or anything :(
<<

Greeny220

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:58 am

hi i had the same problem last night no storage units but internet worked.
what i did after alot of trial and error was to press the windows key and open documents, then on the left hand side panel where it says homegroup, computer and network i hovered my mouse over network and pushed the arrow to expand then on mine it says steve-pc so i expanded that then it says users expand that then it has two folders one that says public and one that says steve i expanded steve which opened up all my folders scrolled down to my videos right clicked on my videos and selected share with home group read. and it worked hope this helps. :D My OS is windows 7.UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE LOL sorry also forgot to mention that my pc had bull guard installed as standard but i uninstalled it before doing the above possibly might have been blocking me from sharing with tv.
Last edited by Greeny220 on Thu May 12, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

blahblah

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:51 am

Hey,

Thank you very much for posting this update. Something to try...but unfortunately it didn't work :( LG support wasn't very helpful, just told me to try another software instead of Serviio...I forget what they recommended. I'm thinking my problem is that my devices are not connected to my wi-fi router directly, going through the bridge instead; and I see no settings in the bridge admin that I can manipuate.

Thanks,

Return to LG