FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Panasonic Viera 2013 Profile - Testing Required

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:19 am

Re: Panasonic Viera 2013 Profile - Testing Required

In the 2013 profile I have left subtitle support as the same as for the 2011/12 models ie. subtitles are supported for MKV files (embedded only I believe), but (if required can be) burned-in for MP4 files. AVI files, if played natively by your model, should work with SRT files (or at least they did with earlier models). When testing, the video and sub files must be in the same folder and be the same file name (other than the file extension).

According to this doc the VT60 (pg. 94), and this doc for the DT60 (pg. 88), both your devices can support soft subs. If this is true (both docs also contain a contrary comment stating subtitles are "Subtitles are not supported in MKV format" which could mean embedded subs are not supported???), only "Enable Subtitles" should be ticked on the subtitles tab.

I think you need to do some testing:
  • Only "Enable Subtitles" ticked - test (1) MP4 and MKV with external subtitle file (srt) and (2) test MKV with embedded subtitles.
  • If (2) fails - tick "Enable Extraction" and after pressing save, test (2) again
  • If (1) fails try enabling "Enable burned-in subtitles": "Only when required" will do MP4's only.
After playing with subtitles a bit - they should be supported according to those documents - let me know and I can change the profile if we need to based on what you discover.

digidesigner wrote:Also, please advise how to get the Viera 2013 profile, in my Serviio version I seem not to be able to find it. Thanks!
The Viera 2013 profile is not yet included in Serviio as standard. The profile needs to be copied from the OP of this thread and pasted into your Serviio\Config\Profiles.xml file (use any text editor, and paste it above the last line ie. between the existing </Profile> and </Profiles> statements. You need to restart your PC after editing this file.)
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:22 am

Can someone please test whether 3gpp and flv files can be played natively in the 2013 models (the documents I have read suggest they can, but the profile is presently set to transcode them). To test, simply remove the two lines from the profile: <Matches container="flv" /> and <Matches container="3gp" />. Thanks.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Dypsis

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:31 am

DenyAll wrote:I think you need to do some testing:
  • Only "Enable Subtitles" ticked - test (1) MP4 and MKV with external subtitle file (srt) and (2) test MKV with embedded subtitles.
  • If (2) fails - tick "Enable Extraction" and after pressing save, test (2) again
  • If (1) fails try enabling "Enable burned-in subtitles": "Only when required" will do MP4's only.
After playing with subtitles a bit - they should be supported according to those documents - let me know and I can change the profile if we need to based on what you discover.

I have tried getting subtitles to work with MKV embedded subtitles and with SRT files, but with all options ticked.
So, I 'll do what you suggested above and report back.
<<

Dypsis

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:10 am

I tried each setting as suggested, but with no luck.

SRT files are NOT working.
SUB/IDX files are NOT working.
Embedded MKV subtitles NOT working.

Where it says, "Define a list of language codes, separated with comma.", mine is blank.
Do I need to fill that "Preferred language" box in?

Also, my subtitle character encoding is: UTF-8.
Do I need to change that?

My Panasonic TH-L60DT60A must support subtitles as PS3 Media Server displays them.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:50 am

SRT file name is the same as the video file name (other than extension)?
UTF-8: as long as the file is encoded as UTF-8 then this is correct (in any case, you would see something).
I don't believe the "Preferred language" box needs to be filled in but you can try it.

Turn on detailed logging and see what is being served up. How are you turning subtitles on on your TV (what remote buttons)? Also, have you tried via USB stick?
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Dypsis

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:21 am

Yes, SRT file name is the same.
I press the STTL button on the remote to try to get subtitles to display, but nothing happens.
I haven't tried a USB stick.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:37 am

I press the STTL button on the remote to try to get subtitles to display, but nothing happens.
I have an earlier Viera but on mine the STTL button only shows closed caption for TV. For DLNA I access subtitles via the Options button.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Dypsis

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:59 am

DenyAll wrote:
I have an earlier Viera but on mine the STTL button only shows closed caption for TV. For DLNA I access subtitles via the Options button.

There is a "Subtitles" option on mine, too. I just tried it, but it didn't work.
I even tried adding "eng" to the preferred language field.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:04 am

afaik the Options button is the only way to do it. This will show "No subtitles" if there are none available or will give you options to turn on if they have been detected. The STTL button wont work.

Detailed log may show something....
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Dypsis

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:58 am

I tried streaming Elysium and attempted to display subtitles.
The log is huge, so I have attached what I think is what you need.

Let me know if it is not enough.
Attachments
Serviio Elysium Log.txt
(25.83 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:58 am

Its not finding any srt file so its not telling us much. Was this an external sub title file or embedded? Have you tried with an MP4 file (remembering the cryptic comment in the manual about not working with mkv's).
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Dypsis

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:10 am

DenyAll wrote:Its not finding any srt file so its not telling us much. Was this an external sub title file or embedded? Have you tried with an MP4 file (remembering the cryptic comment in the manual about not working with mkv's).

It was an embedded MKV.

I have also tried MP4 files. Not on that particular occasion though.
Also, bear in mind that PS3 Media Server displays subtitles, so I doubt if the TV has a limitation.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:31 am

I have also tried MP4 files. Not on that particular occasion though.
But weren't you using the STTL button on the remote previously. Need to redo the tests using the Options button to enable subtitles.

My guess at this stage based on that cryptic message about subtitles in MKV's is that the TV doesn't support embedded subtitles (you will need to "Enable extraction"). Serviio is serving MKVs natively so if the TV supported embedded subtitles it would work (ie. its up to the TV). As for PS3 Media Server, it depends on how that is set up (is it extracting subtitles for example, is it burning them in).
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

digidesigner

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:34 pm

DenyAll wrote:
digidesigner wrote:Also, please advise how to get the Viera 2013 profile, in my Serviio version I seem not to be able to find it. Thanks!
The Viera 2013 profile is not yet included in Serviio as standard. The profile needs to be copied from the OP of this thread and pasted into your Serviio\Config\Profiles.xml file (use any text editor, and paste it above the last line ie. between the existing </Profile> and </Profiles> statements. You need to restart your PC after editing this file.)

I'm on Mac, where to paste the code on my computer?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:50 pm

digidesigner wrote:I'm on Mac, where to paste the code on my computer?
Not a MAC user, but try this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14981&p=83795
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

cruisinforgold

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:27 am

I'm testing this profile with my Panasonic TC-L55WT60.

The Panasonic Viera 2013 profile and the Pansonic Viera ... 2012 profile both play my Canon dslr's .mov files with stuttering audio.

The video is ok but the audio cuts out every 2 seconds, resumes 2 seconds and restarts each time. Video will play all the way without stuttering.

The Generic DLNA profile does not present this issue.

Not sure why?
Panasonic TC-L55WT60; Win x64 on Asus z87 Deluxe/Quad i7-4770K: Synology DS1515+; DSM 7.0.1;10
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:09 am

Please post MediaInfo details for the file: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4510
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

cruisinforgold

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:37 am

File info attached.
Attachments
mov_file_mediainfo.txt
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Panasonic TC-L55WT60; Win x64 on Asus z87 Deluxe/Quad i7-4770K: Synology DS1515+; DSM 7.0.1;10
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:09 am

Try removing this line from the profile:
<Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" aCodec="lpcm" />
Remember to restart your PC (or the Serviio service) after changing the profile.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

cruisinforgold

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:16 pm

DenyAll wrote:Try removing this line from the profile:
<Matches container="mp4" vCodec="h264" aCodec="lpcm" />
Remember to restart your PC (or the Serviio service) after changing the profile.

I'm not at home to try this yet. But I would like to understand the logic of this change (for future reference).

from http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/E-HELP_WT60.PDF the L55WT60 natively supports MP4 with audio streams mpeg audio/mp3 aac/he-aac/ac3/e-ac3. For Music it says the TV supports MP3/AAC/FLAC/LPCM

from the media info i see the file is mp4 with pcm audio. the video codec says AVC baseline@L4.1 and the audio is 2 channel PCM. i have the L55WT60 setup to ouput digital audio to my receiver which can handle all the formats on AUTO setting. [Although the TV audio also had the stuttering audio without forwarding to the Receiver anyway]

why would you pull the line above which would seem to allow mp4 with lpcm?
I would have thought the transcode to AC3 of the PCM audio in the file would have worked for this TV.

Thanks for any guidance you might parse out.
PreviousNext

Return to Panasonic