FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

no subtitles in VT30 (srt, VIERA 2012, mkv/mp4)

<<

_WarLock_

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:37 pm

no subtitles in VT30 (srt, VIERA 2012, mkv/mp4)

Hi,

Using serviio 1.4 and VIERA 2012 transcoding profile in VT30.
I set first option regarding subtitles 'enable'.
Subtitles downloaded in srt - file name of subtitles the same as movie with .srt

Unfortunately I cannot see any subtitles in mkv,mp4 (with transcoding on or off).
(I can see them in avi/divx movies)

I would really appreciate any hints.

KR
_W_
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:27 am

Re: no subtitles in VT30 (srt, VIERA 2012, mkv/mp4)

I believe the VT30 only supports subtitles natively for AVI files. All other formats will require subs to be burnt-in (transcoded into the video stream).

To do this - in Serviio Console on the Delivery, Subtitles tab enable all three checkboxes and set the "Enable burn-in subtitles" to "Only when required". Press Save.

You also need to edit your profile to tell Serviio what file types require burned-in subtitles. Edit the "Panasonic Viera G/GT/DT/UT/VT (2011/2012)" profile, and add the line:

<RequiredFor container="matroska" /> under the existing line <RequiredFor container="mp4" />
(You can add other container types as well if you need to). After editing, ensure you restart your PC so that the changes to the profile take hold.

One last thing - if your mkv's and mp4's with subtitles are stretched (aspect ratio is wrong) you will need to add the following:

Code:
<HardSubsTranscoding>
   <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" DAR="16:9" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384" />
</HardSubsTranscoding>
directly above the line <Subtitles>. Remember to restart your PC after editing.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

_WarLock_

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:43 pm

After mentioned changes in profiles.xml I got the message: "Cannot connect to Serviio server, it does not seam to be running.Existing..."

log:
  Code:
2014-01-15 20:38:30,453 ERROR [XmlUtils] XML Profiles.xsd didn't pass validation, reason: cvc-enumeration-valid: Value 'mkv' is not facet-valid with respect to enumeration '[*, mp4, asf, mpegvideo, mpeg, mpegts, matroska, avi, flv, wtv, ogg, 3gp, rtp, rtsp, applehttp, rm]'. It must be a value from the enumeration.
2014-01-15 20:38:30,458 ERROR [MediaServer] An unexpected error occured. Ending the application. Message: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles XML file is not valid (according to the schema). Check the log.
java.lang.RuntimeException: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles XML file is not valid (according to the schema). Check the log.
   at org.serviio.profile.ProfileManager.parseProfilesFromFile(ProfileManager.java:183)
   at org.serviio.profile.ProfileManager.loadProfiles(ProfileManager.java:156)
   at org.serviio.MediaServer.main(MediaServer.java:122)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
   at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionException: Profiles XML file is not valid (according to the schema). Check the log.
   at org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionParser.validateXML(ProfilesDefinitionParser.java:951)
   at org.serviio.profile.ProfilesDefinitionParser.parseDefinition(ProfilesDefinitionParser.java:151)
   at org.serviio.profile.ProfileManager.parseProfilesFromFile(ProfileManager.java:181)
   ... 8 more
2014-01-15 20:38:30,569 WARN  [IndexedDiskCache] Region [tokens] Disk cache not shutdown properly, shutting down now.
2014-01-15 20:38:30,592 WARN  [IndexedDiskCache] Region [thumbnails] Disk cache not shutdown properly, shutting down now.
2014-01-15 20:38:30,569 WARN  [IndexedDiskCache] Region [online_technical_metadata] Disk cache not shutdown properly, shutting down now.
2014-01-15 20:38:43,430 WARN  [ServiioConsole] Cannot connect to the server to get DB initialization info
2014-01-15 20:38:53,470 WARN  [ServiioConsole] Cannot connect to server: Connection Error (1000) - Connection refused: connect
2014-01-15 20:38:53,510 INFO  [Messages] Loaded console message bundle for locale: en

I changed 'mkv' to 'matroska' and server went on - let's test ;)

changed profiles.xml:
  Code:
      </Transcoding>
      <HardSubsTranscoding>
            <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" DAR="16:9" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384" />
      </HardSubsTranscoding>
      <Subtitles>
         <SoftSubs mime-type="text/srt" />
         <HardSubs>
            <RequiredFor container="mp4" />
            <RequiredFor container="matroska" />
         </HardSubs>
      </Subtitles>   
   </Profile>

Now avi still works but mkv and mp4 don't - 'please wait' info - then 'Cannot be opened' :(

without below code

Code:
      <HardSubsTranscoding>
      </HardSubsTranscoding>

subtitles work fine - but ratio is wrong :(
How to correct ratio ? (in fact I also asked about it in other post)
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:35 pm

I changed 'mkv' to 'matroska' and server went on - let's test
Doh... you are correct, it was late here... :oops: (having said that I am always making this mistake!). I have edited my post above.
How to correct ratio ? (in fact I also asked about it in other post)
The DAR="16:9" is designed to correct the aspect ratio problem. Not sure why it isn't working.

When you remove this line you inherit the transcoding for hardsubs from the generic profile, which is:
    <Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384" />
Just noticed it uses mpeg instead of mpegts, so try that ie. change what I gave you to:
    <Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" DAR="16:9" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384" />
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

_WarLock_

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:59 pm

after this correction, subs and ratio works like a charm ;)
(strange that it did not print anything to logs when VT30 couldn't play the movies)

What does not work:
I cannot push the movie forward at all (in TV or through e.g. bubbleupnp)

Other problems:
I have a huge lagging, especially for DTS mkv (probably my CPU can't make it - I did not check the load yet ;)
Is there something which can be done in config or transcoding audio and subs is just too much ?
(Acer REVO R3600 : x64, Atom 330 1,6GHz, 3GB, NVIDIA ION)

I also have a feeling that movies are played with worse quality then directly from comp (e.g. in mkv ac3 test, it seemed like picture was created from lines - especially spotted on subs)
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:47 pm

I cannot push the movie forward at all (in TV or through e.g. bubbleupnp)
Do you mean fast forward the movie? If so, probably because the movie isn't transcoding fast enough. If you mean "push via bubbleUPNP" not sure, don't use it.
.... or transcoding audio and subs is just too much
When you burn-in subs, you are transcoding Video and I suspect this may be too much for your Atom processor. I suspect this may also be effecting your perceived quality.

Unfortunately, if it is lack of processing power, the only way to improve this is to either upgrade your PC, or re-encode all your video's to formats that do not require transcoding by your TV.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

_WarLock_

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Thank you so much for a quick and concreate answers. Last question (I hope ;) )

If I resign from subs and DTS (no transcoding needed), where should I change the ratio for .mp4 ?
(I guess I should add DAR="16:9" somewhere in Panasonic 2012, but where ? ;) )
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:36 pm

Unfortunately the only way to do so is with transcoding, so you are going to have the same problem.

To do so, change line in the Panasonic Viera G/GT/DT/UT/VT (2011/2012) profile from:
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" forceInheritance="true">
to
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" DAR="16:9" targetACodec="ac3" forceInheritance="true">
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator

Return to Panasonic