FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ST30 Aspect Ratio

<<

pancho

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:25 am

ST30 Aspect Ratio

I am having issues with mkvs being vertically stretched, not showing the black bars.

I just got a new PC and downloaded the current version of Serviio. On my previous PC, I already fought with this issue and if I recall correctly, I simply added DAR="16:9" somewhere in the profile and the issue was fixed. After struggling for so long to fix the issue, I didn't accept any more updates afraid that the issue would arise again. Unfortunately, I do not recall exactly which previous version I was using successfully.

I've read through other posts on the forum, but have not had any luck with any of the suggestions. I know there is a fix... I just can't seem to replicate whatever it was I did so long ago! If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:27 pm

Re: ST30 Aspect Ratio

Post MediaInfo for the file. All MKV's in the Panasonic profiles have their DAR set to 16:9 in the latest profiles where the video is transcoded - I suspect your file is only remuxing the video stream (we will need to force it to be transcoded and for that, need to know the video and audio formats in the file).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

pancho

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:48 am

Thanks for the response. Here is the media info

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate : 9 702 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 816 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.258
    Stream size : 6.47 GiB (85%)
    Writing library : x264 core 142 r2431 ac76440
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=9702 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : DTS
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
    Mode : 16
    Format settings, Endianness : Big
    Codec ID : A_DTS
    Duration : 1h 37mn
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 1 509 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 24 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 1.03 GiB (13%)
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

I am using the Panasonic Viera E/S/ST/VT (2011) profile.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:00 pm

Yes, this file is only being remuxed at the moment. You can force it to be transcoded by editing the profile (edit the file profiles.xml located in the Serviio\config folder) and find the code:

Code:
<Profile id="viera2011a" name="Panasonic Viera G/GT/DT/UT/VT (2011/2012)" extendsProfileId="viera2013">
   :
   :
   <Transcoding>
      <!-- remux VORBIS/FLAC/LPCM in MKV/MP4 to AC3 -->
      <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" forceInheritance="true">
and change the last line shown to be:

<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" DAR="16:9" forceInheritance="true">
After saving the file restart the Serviio service (or your PC if you're not sure how to do this).

ps. As a quick test, before doing the above, try the Panasonic 2013 profile. If your TV supports DTS then this profile will play the file natively. If DTS isn't supported it will likely play, but with no sound. Let me know - thanks.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:36 pm

DenyAll:

He is using the ST 2011 profile, but you mention editing the 2012 profile. Does the 2011 profile inherit settings from the 2012 profile? I ask since I have the same TV (ST30), and have been thinking of experimenting with the profile. I haven't had any aspect ratio issues, but I'd like to see how many of my videos I might be able to slide through without transcoding. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks atc98092 - yes, should have mentioned - the 2011 profile inherits the 2011/2012 profile (ie. 2011 does everything that 2012 does plus it forces transcoding of all AVI files), hence the changes need to be to the 2011/12 profile.

FYI:
  • Panasonic 2013 profile inherits from the Generic profile.
  • Panasonic 2012 profile (2011/12) inherits from the Panasonic 2013 profile. To confuse matters slightly, everything is inherited except for the AVI file handling (2013 transcodes AVI's, 2012 doesn't).
  • Panasonic 2011 profile inherits from the Panasonic 2012 profile (forces transcoding for all AVI files)
  • Panasonic 2010 profile also inherits from the Panasonic 2012 profile (forces transcoding for all MKV files, but allows AVI's to be played natively)
Good luck with your playing. Let me know if any videos that are currently transcoded can be supported natively.

The aspect ratio issue occurs whenever a file with >16:9 aspect ratio is transcoded or remuxed into an m2ts container. Without the flag, these files will be stretched vertically to fill the display. The DAR="16:9" flag will tell Serviio to pad the display, adding black bars above and below the video to give the illusion of maintaining the original aspect ratio. The flag has been added to the profile where the video needs to be transcoded, but not where remuxing will suffice.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

pancho

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:47 pm

DenyAll wrote:Yes, this file is only being remuxed at the moment. You can force it to be transcoded by editing the profile (edit the file profiles.xml located in the Serviio\config folder) and find the code:

Code:
<Profile id="viera2011a" name="Panasonic Viera G/GT/DT/UT/VT (2011/2012)" extendsProfileId="viera2013">
   :
   :
   <Transcoding>
      <!-- remux VORBIS/FLAC/LPCM in MKV/MP4 to AC3 -->
      <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" forceInheritance="true">
and change the last line shown to be:

<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" DAR="16:9" forceInheritance="true">
After saving the file restart the Serviio service (or your PC if you're not sure how to do this).

ps. As a quick test, before doing the above, try the Panasonic 2013 profile. If your TV supports DTS then this profile will play the file natively. If DTS isn't supported it will likely play, but with no sound. Let me know - thanks.

Hmm, I made the adjustments to the profile and the file now plays pillarboxed with black bars on the sides (very squished look), however the bars are also now showing on top and bottom as they should. Any idea what is happening?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:59 am

Try changing the Aspect using the TVs remote. I suspect Serviio is adding the padding top and bottom but the TV is adding the side bars.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:08 pm

The ST30 has limited aspect ratio options when using DLNA. There's 5-6 different settings with broadcast, but when using DLNA there's only three, and often in my experience only two actually do anything. It's annoyed me at times :)
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:27 pm

DenyAll:

Found something interesting with my Panasonic over the weekend. Playing a ripped Blu-Ray (MKV container) that is wider than 16x9 (one of the Star Wars). With the DAR="16x9" setting, the movie is being stretched from top to bottom of the screen, which messes badly with the image geometry. There are only three aspect ratio settings: original (which picture-boxes the image), aspect 1 (stretched to full screen) and aspect 2 (same as one, no difference).

If I play the same video on the Panasonic using the Roku, the aspect ratio is correct and the image looks as it should. If I play it with my Sony BD players (different TVs) it again looks correct.

So, where is the geometry being messed up? I'm using the standard Panasonic profiles, nothing tweaked. I can get MediaInfo for you this evening if it will help.
Dan

<<

mavack

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:50 pm

I have the same problems with my VT30 stretching videos vertically. Sony BD player is fine.

It's annoying thou, if i play a file natively soft subtitles work, if i play the file via transcoding soft subs don't work. Results vary depending on the video file. I'm to lazy to work out all the combinations.

aspect ratio options on the panasonics suck, i also have problems with it randomly terminating some video files just before the end, or at random points in the file (usually mpeg-2 TS files from TV recordings)

I just more often than not use the sony BD player.

If anyone finds a good seperate player that works perfectly correctly with DLNA without issues and can natively play a majority of file types let me know!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:12 pm

mavack wrote:...
If anyone finds a good seperate player that works perfectly correctly with DLNA without issues and can natively play a majority of file types let me know!

So far my Sony is doing a fine job. I have a few BD rips that will freeze the player it if I leave the HD audio as the default track, while others will play the HD audio fine. Go figure. DVD rips play perfectly from MKV, as well as MP4. MKV gives me selectable captions and audio tracks as well for DVD rips.

Right now my Sony player plays everything except my WTV files (that's Windows Media Center recorded TV) without transcoding. With BD rips into MKV containers, the subtitles won't display. If I rip them into M2TS, the subs will display, but I occasionally have a problem with the picture freezing (not the player). If I stop the video and immediately restart it, it continues from where I stopped, so only a minor annoyance.
Dan

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:33 am

atc98092 wrote:Found something interesting with my Panasonic over the weekend. Playing a ripped Blu-Ray (MKV container) that is wider than 16x9 (one of the Star Wars). With the DAR="16x9" setting, the movie is being stretched from top to bottom of the screen, which messes badly with the image geometry.
The stretching top to bottom occurs when it is not being padded by the "DAR=16:9" command - are you sure its being transcoded (not played natively or being remuxed rather than transcoded)?

You can tell whether the movie has been transcoded using the DAR switch because the aspect ratio of the transcoded video presented to the TV is 4:3 (ie. the TV sees it as a 4:3 video). On my VT20 (older than your ST30) when I play a transcoded video the Aspect button on my TV only has two options "4:3 Full" and "4:3". The "4:3 Full" option stretches the video to fill the entire screen and, given the padding added by the transcoding process, makes it appear in like its original aspect ratio (2.35:1 or whatever). The "4:3" option shows it in 4:3 mode - ie. with bars on either side.

So, where is the geometry being messed up?
When you transcode you transcode (in a Panasonic profile) to an mpeg2 ts container. Problem is, for some reason (and I have never found out whether this is a deficiency with the container type or the Panasonic, and other, renderers) the aspect ratio is not read by the TV correctly. The TV then ignores the aspect ratio information and stretches the video to fill the 16:9 display panel. Note that if the TV plays the file natively, then the aspect ratio is honoured - this is why some files seem to work (they are not transcoded) and others do not. The fact that some devices display it properly is because those devices are either capable of playing the file natively, or do read the aspect ratio from the ts container/video stream properly.

To overcome this, Serviio adds the "DAR=16:9" switch. Interestingly (and confusingly) this forces the video to be transcoded to a 4:3 anamorphic video with padding top and bottom. Your TV then stretches this to fill the display panel, and in doing so gives the illusion of a 2:35:1 (or whatever) video. There is some discussion on this here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2956 and in other areas on the forum if you're up to more reading. I'm not sure why it was done with anamorphic video - perhaps to force the TV to stretch it - perhaps zip or Illico can enlighten.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:02 am

OK, welcome to bizarro land :lol:

I have two machines running Serviio, one for my goofing around. Both machines have the same version of Serviio, although the test server has less power.

On the test server, I have many videos that are for some reason not being shown as playable on the Panasonic. The Sony and Roku will play them all. The main server has no such issues: all videos are playable. While the don't have identical libraries, almost everything on the test server was copied from the main one. Both servers are now using the identical Profiles.xml file (attached). To my knowledge, this particular file is stock Serviio. I don't think I've done anything to it.

Now the really strange part. On the test server, I have three different versions of a Star Wars rip: MPG, MP4 and MKV. The MPG is a DVD rip, while the other two are BD. The test server tries to play them all natively. The MPG plays fine, as expected. The BD rips play in stop-motion, as the TV can't handle the bitrate, again as expected.

On the main server, I have all 6 movies ripped, all BD in MKV. These will play, but they are being transcoded and have the aspect ratio issue I mentioned before. My wife is watching that server right now, so I can't play with the profile.

But: why the difference between the two servers with the same video (BD rip in MKV)? Either both should be native or both should be transcoded. Since the TV can't handle the bitrate of the BD rip, should I add a line to the profile to capture AVC 4.1High video? And exactly how should the line be to not have the aspect ratio issue?

Thanks! :D
Attachments
profiles.xml
(139.35 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Dan

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:31 am

But: why the difference between the two servers with the same video (BD rip in MKV)? Either both should be native or both should be transcoded.
Are both servers assigning the same profile to the Panasonic? What OS are the servers running?

Post MediaInfo for the one of the files that is not playing correctly (either stuttering or aspect challenged). You've lost me a bit:

1. On the main server does the mpg playing natively (and with correct aspect ratio) as it does on the test server?
  2. On the main server, the BD's are being transcoded (and stretched) Do they also stutter as they do on the test server?

Since the TV can't handle the bitrate of the BD rip, should I add a line to the profile to capture AVC 4.1High video?
Try this - in the Panasonic 2013 profile change the line:

<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.1"/>
    to
    <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.0"/>
See how that goes. ps. two lines above that line shows how the DAR statement is used.

pancho - was your issue resolved?
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:56 pm

DenyAll wrote:
atc98092 wrote:But: why the difference between the two servers with the same video (BD rip in MKV)? Either both should be native or both should be transcoded.

Are both servers assigning the same profile to the Panasonic? What OS are the servers running?

Main server: Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 -- Test server: Windows 7 Home Premium

Both servers assigning the Panasonic Viera E/S/ST/VT (2011) profile.

Post MediaInfo for the one of the files that is not playing correctly (either stuttering or aspect challenged).

Stuttering (full bit-rate BD rip, test server):
  Code:
General
Unique ID                                : 114286859268863971443635497257465007106 (0x55FAD9341F8C9188C719F3EEF0DBCC02)
Complete name                            : \\MEDIA-PC\Users\Public\Videos\Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980).mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 34.7 GiB
Duration                                 : 2h 7mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 39.0 Mbps
Movie name                               : The Empire Strikes Back
Encoded date                             : UTC 2012-12-04 04:00:41
Writing application                      : MakeMKV v1.7.9 win(x64-release)
Writing library                          : libmakemkv v1.7.9 (1.2.0/1.1.0) win(x64-release)

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Maximum bit rate                         : 36.6 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio #1
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                           : MA / Core
Mode                                     : 16
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
Bit rate                                 : Unknown / 1 509 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 7 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: C, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless / Lossy
Title                                    : Lossless
Default                                  : Yes

Audio #2
ID                                       : 3
Format profile                           : ES
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 509 Kbps
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: C, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 1.34 GiB (4%)
Title                                    : 3/2+1

Audio #3
ID                                       : 4
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Bit rate                                 : 448 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 408 MiB (1%)
Title                                    : 3/2+1

Text #1
ID                                       : 5
Format                                   : PGS
Codec ID                                 : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info                            : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs

Text #2
ID                                       : 7
Codec ID/Info                            : The same subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs

Text #3
ID                                       : 9
Title                                    : The Empire Strikes Back

Text #4
ID                                       : 11

Text #5
ID                                       : 12

Text #6
ID                                       : 13

Text #7
ID                                       : 14

Menu
00:00:00.000                             : en:Chapter 00
00:00:21.104                             : en:Chapter 01
00:01:54.864                             : en:Chapter 02
00:04:15.838                             : en:Chapter 03
00:08:19.248                             : en:Chapter 04
00:10:15.948                             : en:Chapter 05
00:12:57.735                             : en:Chapter 06
00:15:13.537                             : en:Chapter 07
00:16:29.697                             : en:Chapter 08
00:18:19.973                             : en:Chapter 09
00:19:45.392                             : en:Chapter 10
00:21:22.698                             : en:Chapter 11
00:23:57.727                             : en:Chapter 12
00:25:49.422                             : en:Chapter 13
00:29:29.350                             : en:Chapter 14
00:31:29.220                             : en:Chapter 15
00:33:37.682                             : en:Chapter 16
00:35:55.152                             : en:Chapter 17
00:36:51.250                             : en:Chapter 18
00:38:33.561                             : en:Chapter 19
00:40:36.725                             : en:Chapter 20
00:44:20.074                             : en:Chapter 21
00:46:08.390                             : en:Chapter 22
00:50:13.385                             : en:Chapter 23
00:52:16.633                             : en:Chapter 24
00:54:20.256                             : en:Chapter 25
00:57:40.290                             : en:Chapter 26
01:00:57.945                             : en:Chapter 27
01:03:42.777                             : en:Chapter 28
01:05:46.108                             : en:Chapter 29
01:08:12.171                             : en:Chapter 30
01:13:24.233                             : en:Chapter 31
01:16:39.886                             : en:Chapter 32
01:18:24.116                             : en:Chapter 33
01:19:45.864                             : en:Chapter 34
01:22:55.929                             : en:Chapter 35
01:25:38.550                             : en:Chapter 36
01:27:51.265                             : en:Chapter 37
01:30:28.673                             : en:Chapter 38
01:34:39.799                             : en:Chapter 39
01:38:28.902                             : en:Chapter 40
01:40:26.145                             : en:Chapter 41
01:41:46.099                             : en:Chapter 42
01:43:51.433                             : en:Chapter 43
01:47:02.541                             : en:Chapter 44
01:49:21.471                             : en:Chapter 45
01:53:41.689                             : en:Chapter 46
01:56:14.842                             : en:Chapter 47
01:59:46.596                             : en:Chapter 48
02:01:58.227                             : en:Chapter 49

Incorrect aspect ratio (main server):

Code:
General
Unique ID                                : 206512941465842168319466674862507226955 (0x9B5CF21F1D12DFAD231D372A7DF4F74B)
Complete name                            : T:\Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope (1977).mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 9.91 GiB
Duration                                 : 2h 4mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 11.4 Mbps
Writing application                      : HandBrake 0.9.9
Writing library                          : libmkv 0.6.5
TITLE                                    : A New Hope

Video
Format profile                           : Main@L4.0
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 816 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 2.35:1
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Writing library                          : x264 core 130 r2273 b3065e6
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=2 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=3 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=10 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=20000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

Audio #1
Format profile                           : ES
Stream size                              : 1.31 GiB (13%)

Audio #2
ID                                       : 3
Format profile                           : MA / Core
Bit rate                                 : Unknown / 1 509 Kbps
Compression mode                         : Lossless / Lossy

Text
ID                                       : 4

Menu
00:00:00.000                             : Chapter 1
00:00:21.021                             : Chapter 2
00:01:53.363                             : Chapter 3
00:04:52.793                             : Chapter 4
00:07:28.365                             : Chapter 5
00:08:54.868                             : Chapter 6
00:11:21.514                             : Chapter 7
00:15:40.231                             : Chapter 8
00:19:40.179                             : Chapter 9
00:23:33.287                             : Chapter 10
00:25:32.740                             : Chapter 11
00:27:45.622                             : Chapter 12
00:29:12.793                             : Chapter 13
00:32:34.161                             : Chapter 14
00:34:53.008                             : Chapter 15
00:36:54.212                             : Chapter 16
00:39:05.635                             : Chapter 17
00:41:42.375                             : Chapter 18
00:42:31.632                             : Chapter 19
00:44:51.731                             : Chapter 20
00:47:52.620                             : Chapter 21
00:49:57.995                             : Chapter 22
00:51:13.696                             : Chapter 23
00:52:40.741                             : Chapter 24
00:54:12.416                             : Chapter 25
00:56:59.917                             : Chapter 26
00:59:14.009                             : Chapter 27
01:03:10.829                             : Chapter 28
01:06:16.473                             : Chapter 29
01:08:21.973                             : Chapter 30
01:12:32.390                             : Chapter 31
01:14:12.657                             : Chapter 32
01:17:13.838                             : Chapter 33
01:19:09.328                             : Chapter 34
01:21:29.385                             : Chapter 35
01:25:00.304                             : Chapter 36
01:27:02.092                             : Chapter 37
01:29:56.266                             : Chapter 38
01:33:48.248                             : Chapter 39
01:36:39.961                             : Chapter 40
01:38:06.756                             : Chapter 41
01:39:37.638                             : Chapter 42
01:41:24.996                             : Chapter 43
01:42:37.526                             : Chapter 44
01:45:02.630                             : Chapter 45
01:49:42.785                             : Chapter 46
01:55:18.912                             : Chapter 47
01:57:47.394                             : Chapter 48
01:58:28.643                             : Chapter 49
02:00:14.499                             : Chapter 50

Notice that this file was run through Handbrake to change the default audio track to standard DTS instead of HD Master Audio.

You've lost me a bit:

1. On the main server does the mpg playing natively (and with correct aspect ratio) as it does on the test server?
  2. On the main server, the BD's are being transcoded (and stretched) Do they also stutter as they do on the test server?

The MPG plays normal from both servers (remember it is a DVD rip, not BD)
The MKV on main server do not stutter, because they are being transcoded. Also, when Handbrake altered the audio track it also appeared to reduce the bitrate on the video track. They only show a bitrate 1/3 of the full MKV file.

Since the TV can't handle the bitrate of the BD rip, should I add a line to the profile to capture AVC 4.1High video?
Try this - in the Panasonic 2013 profile change the line:

<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.1"/>
    to
    <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.0"/>
See how that goes. ps. two lines above that line shows how the DAR statement is used.

I made the above change where you noted, but the file still is not being transcoded. Is it being caught under one of the profiles being inherited? Still only showing a small number of files as playable from the test server, while the main server plays everything. What I see that is probably the key is that the unplayable files are almost all WTV files. On the test server they show unplayable. The same type of file on the main server plays transcoded as MPEG-TS.
Dan

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Dealing with the last part first - the reason the change to the profile made no difference is that the file on the main server (Star Wars Episode 4) has "Main Level 4.0" h264 profile, not "High level 4.1". So to force it to transcode means you would need to change the lines in the profile to be:

<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="3.2"/>
    <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="main" levelGreaterThan="3.2"/>
This will force transcoding for videos with a profile level greater than 3.2 (ie. 4.0 and above). Having said that you may be better to transcode based on the audio being DTS; rather than transcoding on h264 profile levels (so it may be better to revert this line back to levelGreaterThan="4.1" on both lines, and make the following suggested change).

At the moment the Panasonic 2011/12 profile (and therefore the 2011 profile) forces MKV movies with DTS audio to be remuxed rather than transcoded. During remuxing the audio is converted to AC-3 (as the TV cannot support DTS natively). To avoid the aspect issue, the video needs to be transcoded and the padding applied. To do this follow my post above: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17263#p92941.

I am still not sure why it transcodes in one server and not the other. The only thing you can do is check the profiles from both servers side-by-side to see if there has been a modification to either. One line to check in particular is (in the 2011/12 profile):

<Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" aCodec="dca" /> <!-- ST50 supports DTS, remove this line -->
This line matches against DTS audio - it should be in both profiles (just below the line changed as suggested in my linked post). I am wondering if this line was removed in one of the profiles?

ps. If you want to be sure they are exactly the same profiles.xml file on both servers, copy the file from one server to the other.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:04 pm

Actually, I have copied the profiles from one to the other. that's why I know they are the same. :)

I know I've thrown a lot out here, so perhaps I've messed up in my description. On the main server, the files are being transcoded (the 4.0 profile file) but the aspect ratio is off. On the test server (the 4.1 profile) they play native, but the TV can't support the bitrate, so is in fact unplayable. But the little that does show on the screen has the proper aspect ratio.

Again, I think it was the Handbrake conversion that has the aspect ratio messed up. Since it isn't showing 1920x1080 as the image size, I believe that is what is messing up the padding. I'm going to look for the discs (I have the outer sleeve, but the discs themselves seemed to have gone on a journey somewhere) and re-rip them. MakeMKV has been updated a number of times since I ripped them, and perhaps they will rip better now.

Still for the life of me I can't figure out why the test server won't play the WTV files while they will off the main server, with the same profile file. :?
Dan

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:21 am

On the main server, the files are being transcoded (the 4.0 profile file) but the aspect ratio is off.
I suspect they are remuxed, not transcoded. This is what the profile should do by default with these files (the line <Matches container="matroska" vCodec="h264" aCodec="dca" /> <!-- ST50 supports DTS, remove this line --> captures that it is DTS audio, and without the changes I suggested in my earlier post, will remux the file (and cause the aspect ratio issue).

Cannot work out why it is played natively on the test server though - doesn't make sense if the profiles are the same, the same profile is assigned to the TV, your ffmpeg versions are the same and the Transcode option (Delivery, Transcode) is set to On for both servers. Also cannot see that it will be the ratio in the actual MKV file that is mesed up - on the test server it shows with the proper aspect. Tricky one.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

pancho

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:33 am

DenyAll wrote:

pancho - was your issue resolved?

Thanks for all your help. I changed the TV's aspect while playing the file that was being pillarboxed after the changes, and was able to get the file showing correctly in 2.35:1!

Unfortunately the changes that we made to the profile introduced new issues in other files. While trying to play this other file, I am getting audio lag and video stuttering. This file played fine before making the changes to the profile (I verified by reverting back).

Here is the media info for the file that is now giving me trouble:

Code:
Video
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, ReFrames                : 5 frames
Duration                                 : 41mn 43s
Bit rate                                 : 5 975 Kbps
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.259
Stream size                              : 1.70 GiB (78%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 142 r2431 ac76440
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=5975 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
Duration                                 : 41mn 43s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Stream size                              : 450 MiB (20%)

Comparing the files I don't see much difference between the two, but maybe you see something that might be causing this new issue?

Thanks
Next

Return to Panasonic