FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

aspect ratio

<<

Berny

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:51 am

Re: aspect ratio

To ZIP
Almost all profiles read my files (except 2 or 3) but ratio problem is the same (on some ratio is 4/3).
One good new, my AVCHD files which cannot be readen natively on the viera, if i do not use the panasonic support, are well transcoded (remuxed) by Serviio and not on the other media servers i used.
As those files are all 16/9, no problem with the aspect ratio.

Please note that using the av controller, the url from servioo is readen with the correct 21/6 ratio on my laptop (no black bars).
Properties of the file is:
FORMAT: QuickTime/MPEG-4/Motion JPEG 2000 format
Video CODECS: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
Audio CODEC: AAC

Berny
Last edited by Berny on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

dave

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:45 am

Do we have a list of which servers get this correct?
I only have serviio installed but I could experiment with something else if we can learn from it.
<<

Berny

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Well, i found why my 21/6 films have a 16/9 aspect ratio.

Those films are 1280x544, if i convert them to 1280x720, the films are played in 16/9 with 2 black bars, which gives the correct 21/6 aspect ratio on my Viera's.
Question:
Is it possible to remux or transcode from 1280x544 to 1280x720 with Servioo or do i have to convert all my files with the native 21/6 ratio?
I guess that the other media servers transcode the films to 16/9

Berny
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Berny wrote:Well, i found why my 21/6 films have a 16/9 aspect ratio.

Those films are 1280x544, if i convert them to 1280x720, the films are played in 16/9 with 2 black bars, which gives the correct 21/6 aspect ratio on my Viera's.
Question:
Is it possible to remux or transcode from 1280x544 to 1280x720 with Servioo or do i have to convert all my files with the native 21/6 ratio?
I guess that the other media servers transcode the films to 16/9

Berny

There is a way to change aspect ratio using FFMPEG during transcoding, but that would mean transcoding EVERY file and that would be very resource hungry. So you would be better off converting all your files.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Berny

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks, that what i thought, but how are doing the others??

Berny
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Berny wrote:Thanks, that what i thought, but how are doing the others??

Berny

no idea i only use serviio ;)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

dave

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:15 am

Berny, have you used another media server that gets the aspect ratio correct with the same films?
Which media server was it?
<<

Berny

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:07 pm

dave wrote:Berny, have you used another media server that gets the aspect ratio correct with the same films?

Hello Dave,
Correct ratio with Mezzmo and WMP 12, i don't use anymore other media servers.
I would prefer Servioo for many reasons, but i have some other "display" problems to be resolved before letting down the others.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Berny wrote:
dave wrote:Berny, have you used another media server that gets the aspect ratio correct with the same films?

Hello Dave,
Correct ratio with Mezzmo and WMP 12, i don't use anymore other media servers.
I would prefer Servioo for many reasons, but i have some other "display" problems to be resolved before letting down the others.

wmp 12 - does not comply to the DLNA standard so cant not be compared to serviio

Mezzmo - is pay for software so again can not be compared to free software like serviio, plus its only availible on windows so linux and mac users are out of luck.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Cerberus wrote:Mezzmo - is pay for software so again can not be compared to free software like serviio, plus its only availible on windows so linux and mac users are out of luck.

I want to compare to them ;-) I want to beat them :-D
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:28 pm

zip wrote:
Cerberus wrote:Mezzmo - is pay for software so again can not be compared to free software like serviio, plus its only availible on windows so linux and mac users are out of luck.

I want to compare to them ;-) I want to beat them :-D

we do compare BUT with money comes faster evolution of the product as we are relient on FFmpeg for some of our functions and we already beat then as we run on linux and mac..
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

Berny

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Cerberus wrote:wmp 12 - does not comply to the DLNA standard so cant not be compared to serviio

Mezzmo - is pay for software so again can not be compared to free software like serviio, plus its only availible on windows so linux and mac users are out of luck.

Well, wmp works fine with my tv sets & other renderers and it is windows 7 native :)
Mezzmo, yes i paid $30 if i remember, but i don't mind paying for a software if it gives what i'm looking for.

Linux & Mac..... i'm not concerned ;)

Berny
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Berny wrote:
Cerberus wrote:wmp 12 - does not comply to the DLNA standard so cant not be compared to serviio

Well, wmp works fine with my tv sets & other renderers and it is windows 7 native :)
Mezzmo, yes i paid $30 if i remember, but i don't mind paying for a software if it gives what i'm looking for.

Linux & Mac..... i'm not concerned ;)

Berny

yer berny but there more than just you reading these forum ;)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

rowla

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:38 am

(bump)

i'm having similar problems with files being played to my panasonic tc-p42s30.

this TV can play x264+AC3, mkv or mp4 container natively, but of course sometimes there is a need to remux the file (wrong language track is selected by default, DTS audio instead of AC3, etc).

however when remuxing the aspect ratio is ruined and the TV won't scale intelligently. in fact i can't figure out what it's doing at all, a 1920x800 output image will end up shrunken on the screen...

i'm using the usual MKV/x264->mpegTS tactic because that seems to generate the most stable containers for the TV, but no matter how I use the pad options etc i can't get a good, non shrunk/distorted image.

seems like the panasonic dlna video browser is flaky, but anyone have any fixes yet? i'm using ffmpeg to remux or transcode...
<<

tomikaa87

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi,

I just ran into this aspect ratio issue and looked around the web but without any success. I have a Panasonic TX-L32D25E and every video with a non-native resolution showed incorrectly.
I found a possible solution on this site: http://blog.komeil.com/2006/09/modify-mp4-aspect-ratio-mp4box-mpeg4.html. It mentions the Pixel Aspect Ratio that can be changed in the video container without re-encoding the file. What do you think? This MP4Box util could do the trick?
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:44 am

tomikaa87 wrote:What do you think? This MP4Box util could do the trick?

Don't think MP4box is the solution...
ffmpeg implement some extra option, like "-s" to change/scale the output format, "-aspect" to change the output aspect ratio.
Also, ffmpeg implement advance filtering like, "-vf scale" to change/scale the output format (like -s), "-vf pad" to add padding black bar, "-vf setdar" to change display aspect ratio without change images.
I'm working on a solution for Sony Bravia TV display aspect ratio issue: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2956
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

tomikaa87

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:02 pm

Illico wrote:

ffmpeg implement some extra option, like "-s" to change/scale the output format, "-aspect" to change the output aspect ratio.
Also, ffmpeg implement advance filtering like, "-vf scale" to change/scale the output format (like -s), "-vf pad" to add padding black bar, "-vf setdar" to change display aspect ratio without change images.
I'm working on a solution for Sony Bravia TV display aspect ratio issue: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2956

I have checked your solution but it's impossible to use as a real-time transcoding method on a slower machine. I tried to find a solution that doesn't need to re-encode the whole video, but with just remuxing it seems to be impossible.
<<

Scoootch

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi,

I've exactly the same problem. It seems that muxing to m2ts doesn't work always. This works only with PS3 Media Server through PS3. PMS has the same problem through Panasonic TV. For the right ratio through PS3, PMS remuxes. It only transcodes MKV when they are subtitles. PMS use MEncoder.

If this can help

;)

EDIT :
With MediaInfo only these mkv are in the good ratio :
  Code:
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio        : 16:9

AND

Code:
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels

These mkv are in the bad ratio :

Code:
Height                           : 528 pixels
Original display aspect ratio    : 2.40:1

Code:
Height                           : 528 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.40:1

Code:
Height                           : 720 pixels
Original height                  : 528 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Original display aspect ratio    : 2.40:1

BUT all these mkv are in the good ratio with Serviio through PS3
<<

rlar

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:44 pm

tomikaa87 wrote:
Illico wrote:

I have checked your solution but it's impossible to use as a real-time transcoding method on a slower machine. I tried to find a solution that doesn't need to re-encode the whole video, but with just remuxing it seems to be impossible.

If no alternative solution has been found to this problem I would be interested in trying the real-time transcoding. Is there a configuration file which enable this transcoding or should I try to write it down (I don't have any idea about how to do it, but I hope to be able with some effort)
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Scoootch wrote:BUT all these mkv are in the good ratio with Serviio through PS3

PS3 Media Server use same workaround with mencoder option to pad video into 16:9 and change DAR to 4:3
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
PreviousNext

Return to Panasonic