FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Wrong Aspect Ratio without transcoding Video Stream

<<

nanuk

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:53 am

Wrong Aspect Ratio without transcoding Video Stream

Hi Serviio Community,
I own a Panasonic Viera 55CXW704 TV and I'm using Serviio as my favorite DLNA Server :P
I know that this TV isn't able to play DTS sound so I use a profile to convert DTS to AC3 and keep the video streams untouched.

<!-- remux FLAC/TrueHD in MKV/MP4 to AC3, DTS (MP4) to AC3 -->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384" forceInheritance="true">
<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" aCodec="dca" />
<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" aCodec="dts-hd" />
<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" aCodec="truehd" />
</Video>

I made a testfile with just a h264 lvl4.1 video stream (1920x804) and a single DTS audio stream just in case to avoid side effects from subtitles or chapter etc.

Video
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format-Profil : High@L4.1
Format-Einstellungen für CABAC : Ja
Format-Einstellungen für ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec-ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bitrate : 11,2 Mbps
nominale Bitrate : 12,2 Mbps
Breite : 1 920 Pixel
Höhe : 804 Pixel
Bildseitenverhältnis : 2,40:1
Modus der Bildwiederholungsrate : variabel
originale Bildwiederholungsrate : 23,976 FPS
ColorSpace : YUV
ChromaSubsampling : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String : 8 bits
Scantyp : progressiv
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.329
Titel : 12 Mbps AVC MPEG-4

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Format_Settings_Mode : 16
Format-Einstellungen für Endianess : Big
Codec-ID : A_DTS
Dauer : 5min 0s
Bitraten-Modus : konstant
Bitrate : 1 509 Kbps
Kanäle : 6 Kanäle
Kanal-Positionen : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Samplingrate : 48,0 KHz
BitDepth/String : 24 bits
Stream-Größe : 54,1 MiB (12%)
Titel : 5.1 DTS @ 1510 kbps

So far so good...

My problem is when I try to play this file via Serviio on my Panasonic TV the picture is stretched vertically to fit 16:9 (1920x1080)
although the video stream has not been touched by a transcoding process.
When testing the file that has been generated by Serviio (transcoding-temp-27413-xxxxx-ORIGINAL.stf) on my PC (using Media Player Classic or VLC) everything seems ok.

I hope there is a solution for my problem and somebody can help me pleaze.
<<

nanuk

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio without transcoding Video Stream

After doing a lot of testing i think it's a Serviio & Panasonic Problem

I've copied the file that has been generated by Serviio (transcoding-temp-27413-xxxxx-ORIGINAL.stf) to a USB stick and tried to play it on my TV's internal media player and it works without any problems

The next test was to play the file via DLNA functionality of Kodi... means I used Kodi instead of Serviio as DLNA Service and tried to play the same file again and this also worked great without any probs :-/

Only Serviio DLNA Service is not able to play this file with correct ratio :-/

Need help or a useful workaround please
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:23 pm

Just to clarify, you played transcoding-temp-27413-xxxxx-ORIGINAL.stf via another media server and it played at the correct aspect ratio (I presume you renamed it to .mpeg first?).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

nanuk

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:06 am

DenyAll wrote:Just to clarify, you played transcoding-temp-27413-xxxxx-ORIGINAL.stf via another media server and it played at the correct aspect ratio (I presume you renamed it to .mpeg first?).

Hi, yes i played transcoding-temp-27413-xxxxx-ORIGINAL.stf via other media servers (Kodi DLNA and the build in Media Player of my TV) and it played at the correct aspect ratio... and yes I renamed the file to transcoding-temp-27413-xxxxx-ORIGINAL.mkv first.

But playing the "transcoding-temp-27413-xxxxx-ORIGINAL.mkv" via Serviio also shows the "wrong aspect ratio", although the media information of the file seem to be correct (1980x804)
<<

nanuk

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:01 am

I found out what the problem causes, but sadly i'm not able to fix the Problem...

The problem I described in my first post only happens when the video file that is being transcoded by Serviio is cropped.
That means the black borders of the video have been cropped.

A BD Remux with a DTS track for example works great and displays the video file with correct ratio

Is there anyting that can be done to fix my/this problem with cropped video files?!?

thx
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:55 am

I think what you are seeing is unfortunately a known issue with Panasonic TV's.

It seems that the Panasonic TV's (and others) do not honor the aspect ratio flags within an mpeg-2 container. So when you remux your video to an mpeg-2 container (via your profile) the aspect information is not honored (unless the aspect is 16:9 or 4:3 - these are honored).

What threw me in your previous posts is that you stated that the resultant mpeg file (the transcoded file) played fine via the USB. I wanted to test this (and forgot all about it - I'm sure I did this a long time ago and found it was also stretched via USB on my TV at least, but my memory is fading and I do have a new Panasonic...).

I'm not sure whether this issue is a deficiency of the Pansonic TV's or or the mpeg-2 container, or (as some of my reading suggests) is aligned with the way DVD's store their video.

The only way I have found to overcome this within Serviio is to also transcode the video. If you include the DAR statement it fixes the issue:

<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" DAR="16:9" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384">
Its a ugly solution, as it transcodes video that doesn't really need to be, but it does the job.

The other way (which I prefer) is to modify the file itself so that DTS is not the first audio track. I use either MKVMerge or XMedia Recode to make my first audio track AC3 (which is supported by my new Panasonic), and just remux the video and all other audio tracks. This is a non-destructive process (if the file doesnt contain an AC3 track, XMedia Recode can create one from the DTS track, and then add the DTS track as track 2) - make sure you copy all existing video, audio and sub tracks (not transcode them). Doing this ensures that Serviio can serve the files natively and thereby avoid the whole transcoding/remuxing to an mpeg-2 container issue.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

nanuk

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:49 pm

DenyAll wrote:The only way I have found to overcome this within Serviio is to also transcode the video. If you include the DAR statement it fixes the issue:

<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" DAR="16:9" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384">
Its a ugly solution, as it transcodes video that doesn't really need to be, but it does the job.

I've tried your ugly solution, but sadly this doesn't work either.

When using the Line above the video is being transcoded in 4:3 ratio :-/ and the aspect button on the tv does not do anything.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:29 pm

That's surprising. Post your whole profile and MediaInfo for the file and let's have a look see.

<edit>. Actually the fact your seeing 4:3 suggests the profile is doing what it should (it should also have black bars top and bottom). Your TV should then zoom this out (sometime you need to set via the aspect button but then it remembers the setting) - not sure why this part isn't working for you. Anyway, perhaps try the second method.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator

Return to Panasonic