FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

DLNA via WLAN and Serviio

<<

lastenvieh

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:06 pm

DLNA via WLAN and Serviio

God evening ladies and gentlemen,

at present I am having a little trouble with my WLAN and Serviio. Hope you can help me out a bit.

What I want to do:
Stream HD-videos via DLNA from my PC to my TV. While DLNA runs via WLAN.

What do I use:

TV: Panasonic Viera TX-P42GT30E

WLAN-Module (TV): Netgear WNDA3100

Router: Linksys WRT54GL

PC:
Motherboard : Gigabyte P55A-UD3
CPU : Intel Core i5 750 @ 2666 MHz
RAM : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
Graphics : ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series
HDD : WDC (1000 GB)
OS : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (x64)

Media Server:
Serviio 0.6.1

> Drivers (TV and PC) are up-to-date
> Connection between PC and Router: LAN
> Distance between Router and TV: approx. 7 metre (3 walls); Connection quality: approx. 50 % (measured via Laptop)

What is my Problem:

As the Panasonic isn’t playing every video format, I try to stream my HD-Videos – mainly mkv-container - via Serviio. Unfortunately that works hardly anytime. I mean it works fine for the first 3-5 minutes but then it starts to be jerky and watching becomes impossible. (If it does though, pausing and playing again always causes an annoying waiting time :frown: )

As I see it, the performance of the PC is not the source of error. Neither is the TV, as it plays Full HD videos from an USB-Stick brilliantly. So it has to be the WLAN connection or Serviio, or both^^
As Serviio comes with a transcoding function mkv-videos should work, so I guess it’s the WLAN connection. Probably the amount of data just can’t be handled via WLAN. So that’s my question: Is the problem caused by the connection or by Serviio? (Unfortunately I don’t have a LAN-cable long enough to test the connection, but I will bring one tomorrow)

Furthermore I would like to know if any of you are using converting software do keep all the HD-videos in the same format? If so, which one?

Tips, tricks, ideas and suggestions of all kind are very welcome. Many thanks in advance!

Patrick
<<

trampas

Serviio lover

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:45 am

Re: DLNA via WLAN and Serviio

Hi Patrick,
From my experience the problem is with the USB adaptor Netgear WNDA3100 which is 802-11n and the router which is only 802-11g and so the transfer over WIFI that you are getting is restricted to 802-11g speeds. For HD I would recommend using powerplugs, the 200 mbps versions should be fine, and that will give you the necessary transfer speed.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:16 pm

Homeplugs, or wired would be your best bet, but you might be able to get by with a good "N" router.

I would recommend the following tool to be used to ensure that your router is not having to share time slices with another router close by on the same channel.

http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2439
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

kappclark

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:44 pm

I am using a Netgear N300 with zero connection issues using wireless and a Sony N200 media player...netflix is fine etc, and there are 3 other computers on the network

Return to Panasonic