FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Panasonic Viera and Serviio

<<

Schumi

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Re: Panasonic Viera and Serviio

I'm using Panasonic Viera G/GT/...(2011...) profile. Now I can see that some movies shutters badly, don't know why. Some works ok, some does not...All of them 720p. How can I resolve that?
<<

vita

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:28 am

I'm new to serviio - just installed it yesterday on my laptop - where I have all my media. Very easy to setup!

I have a Panasonic ST50, so I chose the profile VT/ST/… (2011), and no transcoding.
1) Well, the MKV's (720p) on my laptop play nicely on my TV (both devices are connected with LAN cable), and - when I chose 'text subtiles' from the TV menu, even the external SRT files are showing! I didn't knew this was possible with DLNA.
Anyway, so far so good, but the subtitles displayed on the screen are very SMALL. There seems to be no option to change the settings of (text) subtitles on the TV menu, so is there another way to change this?

2) As I said the 720p MKV plays fluently, however a 1080p does not. It stutters, and the TV sometimes just shows something like "Cannot read file". (Both MKV and MP4). Are there any solutions for this problem?

Thanks.

V.
<<

leepa

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:58 am

I have a Panasonic ST50, so I chose the profile VT/ST/… (2011), and no transcoding.

I also have the ST50, use no transcoding either but chose the "Panasonic Viera G/GT/DT/UT/VT (2011/2012)" profile.

1) Well, the MKV's (720p) on my laptop play nicely on my TV (both devices are connected with LAN cable), and - when I chose 'text subtiles' from the TV menu, even the external SRT files are showing! I didn't knew this was possible with DLNA.
Anyway, so far so good, but the subtitles displayed on the screen are very SMALL. There seems to be no option to change the settings of (text) subtitles on the TV menu, so is there another way to change this?

The subtitles that are muxed into mkv container are displayed with a larger text. Also, if you have an mkv with both embedded subtitles AND the external ones, then the latter will also be displayed with a larger font (I can't remember if you would need to first choose the embedded text and then switch to external for this to work). The text is small only when the external subtitles are the only subtitles for the movie.

2) As I said the 720p MKV plays fluently, however a 1080p does not. It stutters, and the TV sometimes just shows something like "Cannot read file". (Both MKV and MP4). Are there any solutions for this problem?

I don't have many 1080p movies - only some mts files recorder with a video camera (1920x1080, progressive, 50fps, 24Mbps average video bitrate, 4 ReFrames) - and these play fine both from USB and DLNA. Check your files for the number of ReFrames (use MediaInfo). To be played nicely without transcoding, your 1080p movies should have a maximum of 4 ReFrames.
Look at this post for the possible explanation.
Leepa
<<

vita

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:05 pm

The subtitles that are muxed into mkv container are displayed with a larger text. Also, if you have an mkv with both embedded subtitles AND the external ones, then the latter will also be displayed with a larger font (I can't remember if you would need to first choose the embedded text and then switch to external for this to work). The text is small only when the external subtitles are the only subtitles for the movie.

Yes, I noticed that with one of my movies that has embedded subtitles. So in short: I can't change the size of the external subtitles if there aren't embedded ones. A bit of a problem…

I don't have many 1080p movies - only some mts files recorder with a video camera (1920x1080, progressive, 50fps, 24Mbps average video bitrate, 4 ReFrames) - and these play fine both from USB and DLNA. Check your files for the number of ReFrames (use MediaInfo). To be played nicely without transcoding, your 1080p movies should have a maximum of 4 ReFrames.
Look at this post for the possible explanation.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll look into that.

I'd like to have just a streaming device (like a nas), and my TV and browse the content with the TV remote. So no extra device like a media player with an extra remote. Subtitle support is vital, because my wife can't understand the series/movies without them.

With christmas on its way I was planning to buy a synology nas (so I can turn off my laptop). As I haven't found a proper solution to showing the subtitles as I like through dlna (and play 1080p media), I guess I'd be better of buying a 'cheap' media player that does those things for me. ATV3 doesn't do playing from a NAS (I think?) - so a WD Live maybe… Too bad I have to spend money on something that seems so simple to solve.
Previous

Return to Panasonic