FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Synology NAS (DSM 6.2) - Serviio 2.3 status

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:48 am

Re: Synology NAS (DSM 6.2) - Serviio 2.3 status

Not sure if you've seem Patters' post here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29668&start=40#p136667
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:37 pm

zip wrote:Not sure if you've seem Patters' post here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29668&start=40#p136667

Just read it, he is pretty peaved and rightfully so. This who changing the permissions with no way to support the users or allow an override is for the birds. They say it is in the name of safety, in which, a small sliver of that is true, but overall, it is to migrate their own apps first and screw everyone else.

The lack of documentation as he mentions and compiling the new libraries are just another "thing" to get in the way and force the use of their crap over 3rd party devs.

I had to step back because I am frustrated as he is because they offer very little support and the general, just make it like this..... their default templates assume it is just a solitaire game and nothing more... when major apps like Plex and other biggies had to do summersaults just to get based operation working... and that was with a team of dedicated Linux folks.

They are violating licenses out the ass and they just don't care... it is a real sour dish to be served and told to like it.... especially when I own the hardware... they think they rank like Apple, they do not.
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:53 pm

I am confused... Plex and Emby were able to make modification to runn on DSM7 and with Serviio it's impossible? It's should be possible if they did it, or not? :?
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:57 pm

Meelis wrote:I am confused... Plex and Emby were able to make modification to runn on DSM7 and with Serviio it's impossible? It's should be possible if they did it, or not? :?

Read it again, yes, it is possible, but there are a lot of unknowns because of all the changes they made and lack of info from Synology.

My other statement was they had TEAM of people working the problem (based on the scale of Plex) vs. Serviio where it is just me and Patters. This isn't some subtle rewrite, it is entirely architectural as you are aware... it just requires some serious Linux chops and time.

We'll figure it out, just a matter of time and energy.... and with Patters pissed off at Synology, well, I understand his points and reasoning.

Hang in there, we are not down and out yet.
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:36 am

Up!
Previous

Return to NAS installation