Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:57 am

Expected performance slow NAS

The blog post on the Synology package mentions that regular Synology NASses are too slow for video transcode but it only mentions H.264 (which is CPU heavy) and doesn't say anything about resolutions. It also mentions the lack of an FFmpeg binary with libfdk_aac support but such a thing could be customary compiled.

The Subtitles page mentions that embedded subtitle tracks can only be either converted into a text file or burned as hardsubs. It appears to be not possible to embed subtitles in any mpeg2 or mpeg4 (AVC) stream.

My NAS is the slowest Synology (1.0 GHz). What can I possibly expect?

I would never require transcoding into anything higher than 720p. The 720p material I have is always animated. Which means easy compression.

If nothing at all is possible, and it appears to be the case, I am just going to find a way to transcode everything in advance on my PC and just put that in my media server.

I could set up some test scenario's of course but my NAS is not really configured yet.

So in all likelihood the best I can do is to transcode all my avi and mkv files into something my Sony can accept, either MPEG-2 TS .mpg or AVC .mp4 and store that on the device.

I could still be using Serviio as a media server or possibly just default to the regular Synology app.

Transcoding in advance would allow me to burn subtitles since these older Sony's don't support .srt via DLNA. It seems to be my best bet anyway.

But what can you suggest? Suppose I have some DVDrip MKV of 720x384 H.264 with some AC3 audio without subtitles, or some AVI of 700x292 XVID with MP3 without subtitles....

I mean I'm not sure what resolutions my TV can accept in a video stream, but it seems H.264/AC3 will just need to be remuxed and xvid/mp3 will need to be transcoded perhaps to something with a height of 576 pixels, possibly just PAL.

Even my 1.0 Ghz NAS should handle remuxing and perhaps it would also handle some standard definition conversion? Things might get complicated if I have to transcode every diverse movie file on my harddisk... in particular if the TV is only going to accept PAL resolution for SD files.

Please let me know what you think. I'll do some testing myself when I get down to it.