FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio hardware transcoding support on DS415play

<<

mklim

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Serviio hardware transcoding support on DS415play

I'm looking to buy my first NAS in the upcoming weeks. Running Serviio on it would eliminate a need for a dedicated PC for transcoding. Does Serviio support hardware transcoding on Synology DS214play\DS415play? I read through many posts on this forum but I can’t find a clear answer. Also, did anyone try running it on DS415+? How is the performance?
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:54 pm

Re: Serviio hardware transcoding support on DS415play

Simple answer: not yet. I have it working for playback on DLNA renderer devices, but not for the Media Browser. However, it can't quite real-time transcode with subtitles composited in, which was my primary motivator.

There's something wrong with hardware encoding to an FLV container (which the Media Browser uses). I've been following it up with Synology and they've given me various patches to try but none of them has solved it unfortunately. The files play in VLC but won't play in FlowPlayer.

The other inconvenience is that it requires a lot of hacking of profiles.xml which is a pain because I would then have to merge all those changes back in every time Serviio gets a version update. I think I may release what I have done so far, but make it optional - so if you install on a DS214Play or DS415Play you get a menu choice to ask if you want hardware encoding to be enabled at install time.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

mikem2te

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:56 pm

patters wrote:
The other inconvenience is that it requires a lot of hacking of profiles.xml which is a pain because I would then have to merge all those changes back in every time Serviio gets a version update. I think I may release what I have done so far, but make it optional - so if you install on a DS214Play or DS415Play you get a menu choice to ask if you want hardware encoding to be enabled at install time.

Any update on the hardware transcoding support for DS Play devices yet?

I'm feeling pretty disappointed with the standard DLNA on the Synology (no DTS, AC3 etc) and it doesn't work with my TV.

Serviio works great with all my gear, just not for stuff needed transcoding.

If you need a beta tester ;)
<<

mikem2te

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:59 pm

Ok, maybe getting somewhere!!

After reading http://pcloadletter.co.uk/2012/10/12/ffmpeg-shared-libs-for-synology/ and http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16921 I have managed to compile the Synology 5.1-5004 source code for ffmpeg with SMD and the Serviio bits working. Never again, took about 5 days over Christmas; horrible job :evil:

Now to modify the ffmpeg wrapper script and profile file to see if it works.
<<

Mattym

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:13 pm

Any update? Just got a ds415play and would love to use the hardware transcoding ability!
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:48 pm

My 1.5.2 package is published, which includes hardware transcoding support on DS214Play and DS415Play.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!

Return to NAS installation