Re: Serviio with Freenas

OK,

I managed to get the following in place

Some worked and some didnt

Xtrans Ok
Xproto OK
Xextproto OK
JavaMwrapper - reported problem
FFmpeg - reported no space left on device.... (strange its a 4Gig card)

Diablo-JDK-Freebsd7.i386.1.6.0.07.02.tbz reported file not found

Should i be installing Freenas to the HD & the above files too? (do i need a special directory set up for this), or will the whole lot run form a USB stick

or have i dropped a clanger somewhere

Mart
<<

zlt

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:25 pm

Sounds like you have FreeNAS Embedded. There are a whole host of problems when trying to install packages on an embedded OS. I would convert your installation to Full - log into the webGUI, System ->> Backup/Restore and download the config file to your windows PC (assuming you are using Windows). Then reboot FreeNAS with the live CD, and choose Full Installation. Make sure you back up any data from the HDD you install the OS to, because it will format the drive and erase all data. Once FreeNAS is back up and running from the HDD, log into the WebGUI, System ->> Backup/Restore, and upload the config file you saved to your computer. All your settings should be back to normal. Then try installing packages again...

Zac
<<

zlt

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:38 pm

dboy/moltra/zip,

I have Serviio up and running on my FreeNAS box and my Samsung PN50B650 TV can see the server just fine. But my Samsung Bluray BD-d5300 (not known for it's solid DLNA abilities) will drop the DLNA connection repeatedly whether I am streaming a video or not. If I just sit at the menu screen of the bluray player where the DLNA server is listed, over a 20 minute period the Serviio server will show up and disappear several times. When I play a movie, it may drop the connection 3 or 4 times during the movie. This did not happen when Serviio was running from my Windows 7 PC. Do you think there is something in the serviio.sh file I can edit to rectify this? Or do you have any other suggestions?

I am hardwired to my LAN on both the TV and Bluray player.

Thanks,
Zac
<<

Mart360

Serviio lover

Post Sun May 29, 2011 9:46 pm

zlt wrote:Sounds like you have FreeNAS Embedded. There are a whole host of problems when trying to install packages on an embedded OS. I would convert your installation to Full - log into the webGUI, System ->> Backup/Restore and download the config file to your windows PC (assuming you are using Windows). Then reboot FreeNAS with the live CD, and choose Full Installation. Make sure you back up any data from the HDD you install the OS to, because it will format the drive and erase all data. Once FreeNAS is back up and running from the HDD, log into the WebGUI, System ->> Backup/Restore, and upload the config file you saved to your computer. All your settings should be back to normal. Then try installing packages again...

Zac

Ok will give it a go ....

nothing to worry about disk wise, its blank :)

i take it i run from the disk, not a usb stick

Mart
<<

zlt

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 29, 2011 10:03 pm

i take it i run from the disk, not a usb stick

Boot using the Live CD, then select option 9 to install/upgrade. Choose the FULL installation to HDD. After installation is complete, reboot and remove the cd. FreeNAS will boot from the HDD, no USB stick is needed. When it asks you what size to make the OS partition, make it 1024 MB, and select NO when asked if you want to use a SWAP drive. This will format the remaining space on the disk to be used as a mount point.

The Full install is necessary because the /var directory is written to the RAMdisk and therefore erased when rebooted. In the FULL version, this is written to the HDD, giving you the ability to install packaged permanently.

Zac
<<

Mart360

Serviio lover

Post Mon May 30, 2011 12:17 am

Arghhh

did a fresh install, nor when i call pkg_add, it says no route to host ? i had a route earlier, as installed most

is the fault my end or elsewhere

Mart
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Mon May 30, 2011 12:55 am

zlt wrote:dboy/moltra/zip,

I have Serviio up and running on my FreeNAS box and my Samsung PN50B650 TV can see the server just fine. But my Samsung Bluray BD-d5300 (not known for it's solid DLNA abilities) will drop the DLNA connection repeatedly whether I am streaming a video or not. If I just sit at the menu screen of the bluray player where the DLNA server is listed, over a 20 minute period the Serviio server will show up and disappear several times. When I play a movie, it may drop the connection 3 or 4 times during the movie. This did not happen when Serviio was running from my Windows 7 PC. Do you think there is something in the serviio.sh file I can edit to rectify this? Or do you have any other suggestions?

I am hardwired to my LAN on both the TV and Bluray player.

Thanks,
Zac

I am running a D5300 with no problems. post your serviio log. also what firmware are you running on the d5300
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

zlt

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 30, 2011 7:36 am

Mart,

Code:
setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.3-release/All/

This will point pkg_add to the correct ftp server (assuming you are using a i386 machine and not an amd64).

Zac
<<

zlt

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 30, 2011 7:56 am

Mark,

The D5300 firmware version is "2011/05/02_001010" (BSP-D5300ZA-1010.2) which should be the most recent. My log file is full of "WARN" entries complaining about not finding metadata (it's still scanning all my files). To view log files I'm using:
  Code:
cat serviio.log|more
Is there a better way to view log files? Do you want me to post the whole log?

Zac
<<

Mart360

Serviio lover

Post Mon May 30, 2011 8:49 am

Solved my hots problem ......erm it was me....

penny & dropped the host is the NAS....the files were on the CD i took out of the NAS..

I twigged at about 2 am this morning..... lol

now i know what files are missing ...FFmpeg & Java & serviioo, i can burn them to a new disk & pop that in the NAs then hopefully get them sorted..

watch this space

Mart
<<

Mart360

Serviio lover

Post Mon May 30, 2011 10:00 am

Well some success and some failures

Managed to get

Xtrans ok
Xproto ok
XExtproto ok
Javamwrapper file not found
FFmpeg ok
diablo-jre-freebsd.i386.1.6.0.07.02.tbz file not found

I basically shoehorned all the files onto the Freenas iso disk, and ran them via a shell on the NAS pc

so i'm a bit stumped now, i have the files, but for some reason there not being seen

any ideas

Mart
<<

Mart360

Serviio lover

Post Mon May 30, 2011 11:19 am

hmm just spent the last hour on the free bsd website looking for the files..

I think ive found them? we 'll along with a few hundred other files

how do i know which one is correct ? how do i then get the file from the tarball?

Mart
<<

Mart360

Serviio lover

Post Mon May 30, 2011 4:00 pm

Seem to have hit a brickwall, cant get the javamwrapper to install ..

all i get is file unavailable...

i have it on cd in its rar form, but i keeps going to freebsd org and saying file not found...

if its not found, how come i could find it and download manually??

Mart
<<

Mart360

Serviio lover

Post Mon May 30, 2011 6:23 pm

tearing my hair out here,

I need javamwrapper & diablo xxx i enter the string to load them, and all i get is a link to a non exsistant file on freebsd

Using alternate ftp addresses is useless, it still looks for the file on freebsd, ?? Whats the point of specifying an ftp in the command line if its going to look at a totally different site??? ....confusing...

If the file is non exsistant on freebsd, how do you find a current version? i find xx odd packages with javamwrapper in them, which i download, but as soon as i ask it to load, it goes back to freebsd org, and says file not found ....ARGHHHHHHHHH :)

ps if anyone wants a supply of coasters, I'm at about 20 now ;)

Mart
<<

Mart360

Serviio lover

Post Tue May 31, 2011 6:03 pm

OK 24hrs later, some sleep and a rethink...

Ive started form scratch, got everything set up... well almost

I cant get the diablo jre file to load.

looking at the syntax, its using the -r value to load from a remote server (freebsd), but the package isnt found.

This is for both JDK & JRE.

I have JDK ...and soon to be JRE locally , and will be on CDrom.

how do i get the file from cdrom to run / load?, or get the pkg_add function to load from the cdrom?

Mart
<<

zlt

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:45 am

Mart,

JDK and JRE are not on the FreeBSD ftp site as far as I can tell. Try copying the JRE file to your hard drive. Then do

Code:
setenv PKG_PATH /DIRECTORY_WHERE_YOU_HAVE_JRE_FILE_SAVED

For example: PKG_PATH /mnt/data/java/

Then try

Code:
pkg_add -v /DIRECTORY_WHERE_YOU_HAVE_JRE_FILE_SAVED/diablo-jre-freebsd7.i386.1.6.0.07.02.tbz

Zac
<<

Mart360

Serviio lover

Post Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:39 am

zlt wrote:Mart,

JDK and JRE are not on the FreeBSD ftp site as far as I can tell. Try copying the JRE file to your hard drive. Then do

Code:
setenv PKG_PATH /DIRECTORY_WHERE_YOU_HAVE_JRE_FILE_SAVED

For example: PKG_PATH /mnt/data/java/

Then try

Code:
pkg_add -v /DIRECTORY_WHERE_YOU_HAVE_JRE_FILE_SAVED/diablo-jre-freebsd7.i386.1.6.0.07.02.tbz

Zac

Thats the other half of the problem, i dont know where the file is saved....(directory wise)

The file is on CD in the drive. attempts to change to the drive get nowhere, as the commands i used are not known (linux/ unix/java?)

ive made directorys, but cant get the files in there by looking at the drive on the network, as for some odd reason, it sees the NAS, sees the top level folder, then says any other folders are inacessable

I cant tranfer from the CD drive to the folder, as i cant find the right set of commands to do so.....

Mart
<<

dboy

Serviio lover

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:09 am

Mart,

I think the easyest way for you is to a workaround:
-install FreeNAS (done, as I understand)
-Set it up as a fileserver
this means turning on the appropriate services, create a shared folder on the server and then share it
-connect to the shared folder from a windows pc
-download the files you need from the internet to your windows pc
-upload it to your freenas fileserver

If you do it this way you avoid mounting (connecting) to the CD on the Freenas...
<<

Mart360

Serviio lover

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:24 pm

dboy wrote:Mart,

I think the easyest way for you is to a workaround:
-install FreeNAS (done, as I understand)
-Set it up as a fileserver
this means turning on the appropriate services, create a shared folder on the server and then share it
-connect to the shared folder from a windows pc
-download the files you need from the internet to your windows pc
-upload it to your freenas fileserver

If you do it this way you avoid mounting (connecting) to the CD on the Freenas...

Thats allready done ..

Vista sees the NAS, sees the top level folder but says its unable to acces the next level of folders

XP dosent see the NAS at all

I cant connect to the cd in any case due to the "illegal read big" error
likewise connecting to usb, "da0" wont work either

last chance saloon is to ftp from my laptop

Mart
<<

Mart360

Serviio lover

Post Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:37 pm

:? Well its the end of the road, :( after spending a week of very late nights, i'm just about to cal it a day, and bin everything.

Why.??

whilst the concept is sound, and works, the reality is a nightmare.

Freenas 7.2- installs a treat.... or so you think

pkg_add -v -r xtrans .......... no probs
pkg_add -v -r xproto........... no probs
pkg_add -v -r xextproto....... no probs
pkg_add -v -r javavmwrapper no probs
pkg_add -v -r ffmpeg no probs
pkg_add -v diablo-jre-freebsd7.i386.1.6.0.07.02 impossible!!!

So you have one of the most important files to load, and NO way of doing so

Freenas 7.2 locks out the CD rom drive with the illegal read big failure .... (tried 4 drives and they all fail)
USB drive. again locked out as it defaults to da0, which cant be mounted
FTP locked out as the server refuses remote connections

so all in all a pretty wasted week :(

Mart

but wipes out access to the CD rom drive..... Illegal read big failures....
PreviousNext

Return to NAS installation