FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Problems installing FFMPEG on DS211

<<

thlang

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Problems installing FFMPEG on DS211

Hi guys,

I'm having some problems getting FFMPEG installed on my DS211 - I've been following Patters' excellent guide, but when I get to the compilation step for FFMPEG I seem to be running into some difficulty. The compile seems to complete (with the requisite warnings) but when I try to execute the make install command, I get the following error :
  Code:
/volume1/@tmp/ffmpeg$ make install
INSTALL libavdevice/libavdevice.a
/bin/sh: install: not found
make: *** [install-libavdevice-static] Error 127

Is there something really obvious that I'm doing wrong ? :?
<<

individual

Serviio lover

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:39 am

Re: Problems installing FFMPEG on DS211

I'm not an expert but maybe you skipped the make step that is before make install?
NAS: DS712+, 2x Seagate ST2000DL003
DLNA Server: Synology, Serviio, Twonky, Plex
DLNA Player: Raspberry Pi Raspbmc
DLNA Tablet: Yatse
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:52 am

individual wrote:I'm not an expert but maybe you skipped the make step that is before make install?

yep i agree i think you have missed this step too :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

thlang

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:07 pm

:) Thanks for the replies, but that's the weird thing, I have run the make and it takes its time (about half an hour or so) with a bunch of warnings about variables being uninitialised in functions and being deprecated, but it ultimately completes. Is the fact that I'm running DSM 3.1 an issue ? Or are there certain warnings that I need to look out for and actually pay attention to ?
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:16 pm

thlang wrote::) Thanks for the replies, but that's the weird thing, I have run the make and it takes its time (about half an hour or so) with a bunch of warnings about variables being uninitialised in functions and being deprecated, but it ultimately completes. Is the fact that I'm running DSM 3.1 an issue ? Or are there certain warnings that I need to look out for and actually pay attention to ?

That a question for the NAS genie Patters, hopefully he will see this post when he is next out of his bottle..
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

individual

Serviio lover

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:25 pm

I'm running DSM 3.1 as well and everything went ok. The make process is not the one that takes that long. In fact, make process takes just a few seconds. The process that takes more than 30 minutes is the compile step:

Code:
./configure --arch=arm --enable-armv5te --prefix=/opt --extra-cflags='-I/opt/include' --extra-ldflags='-L/opt/lib' --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver --enable-libmp3lame

You will know that this process is finished when the shell prompt apears again. During the process you will see many error messages but they seem to be normal and they will not affect the compile process itself.

Then there is make, and afterwards there is make install command.

Maybe you should start all over from the start with this installation.
<<

thlang

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks individual - I have tried starting from scratch a few times, and each time I get the same error - I thought that there may be some dependencies in packages somewhere, but I'm not sure what they could be. The interesting thing is that you say the configure is the bit that takes a while. Mine takes about 15-20 seconds and doesnt' give me any errors my make process however is the one that takes about half an hour and seems to be compiling a whole bunch of modules
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:39 pm

Not sure about your error. I can confirm that the ./configure is quick - it's the make that's slow in fact.
It's possible that you have damaged your PATH environment variable. Look at the comments on my blog post for how to check it and what it ought to look like.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

individual

Serviio lover

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:30 pm

I might be wrong about which and how long it takes... I appologize.

Return to NAS installation