FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Choosing a NAS server for Samsung DLNA TV

<<

leas1968

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:54 pm

Choosing a NAS server for Samsung DLNA TV

I have a rather silly question. I am using Serviio on my PC for many years now and I am watching HD videos from my DLNA Samsung UE46D6100 TV. I am very satisfied with the quality and the speed of Serviio as is but I am thinking to stop using my desktop PC and buy and install a NAS server to take advantage of the lower power consumption, the Raid 1 safety feature, the ability to run a torrent client from the NAS server without having my PC on all the time and the ability to access my files from the internet either from a laptop computer or from my mobile phone using the personal cloud that almost all NAS server producers provide.

I am investigating a low to medium end NAS servers that can install the Serviio client and work with no problems with my TV and also display correctly the subtitles. I see that Qnap 231 is a very good choice but I would like to see something less expensive like the Zyxel NSA325 V2. All with two hard drive bays. I am not sure these two NAS servers can display subtitles correctly or perhaps it has to do with the TV media player.

Any suggestions of a good value for money NAS server?

Thank you! :D
<<

fsozab

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 08, 2016 11:59 pm

Re: Choosing a NAS server for Samsung DLNA TV

I have been using Servicio with my notebook for many years untilI decided to jump into a NAS.
At first I wanted to buy a Synology but finally ended up buying - 2 months ago - a Qnap ts-253A since It has much better hardware and want it to last years.

I was expecting good streaming service, specially with my old samsung UN40D5500 tv and also with the newer LG one. But also music and foto streaming with other devices.

The native qnap streaming server is crap: problems with subtitles , no support for posters, etc. Did not want to try Twonky server since Serviio was coming soon for Qnap. Plex is extremely complicated to configure and never achieved to put it work with my .srt subtitles and poster files.

Thanks god Serviio was recently launched at the qnap app store and is working flawlessly as usual and my qnap works great! (Posters, subtitles, no freezes, easy configuration).

Regards
Francisco
<<

leas1968

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 10, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Choosing a NAS server for Samsung DLNA TV

Thank you Francisco

I would consideri the qnap 253+ because of all these great features but I don't need all these that offers. Plus is very expensive for me. Way off my budget. I bought the Zyxel 325 v2. It works fine with my Samsung TV and the subtitles display fine with the built in dlna server. However, I still have to finish the installation of the system and I will install serviio on this device because the built in dlna doesn't give the features of Serviio.

Return to NAS installation