FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

BlackarmorNAS220 + How To:

<<

DavidG

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:26 pm

BlackarmorNAS220 + How To:

Please help!!! Had a Netgear Stora..returned bc I felt as though it was complete garbage and netgear cs is HORRIBLE. Now have a seagate blackarmor NAS 220. Really like device but the DLNA straming is horrible and SERVIIO is HANDS DOWN THE BEST DLNA STREAMING SOFTWARE OUT THERE (Ive tried every win version i could get my hands on) Followed tif and zip's blackarmor forum seen here http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1945 and esp direction for installing debian from norenberg directions here http://www.noerenberg.de/hajo/pub/seagate-blackarmor-nas.txt.

Now... I am a complete linux newb. Been around in the win world for a long time and know my way in or out of most situations. I am quite confused by this process but am fairly certain I am on the right track.

I have (per norenberg instructions) gained root access (using putty) and been able to change password. DL customized debian files (2) and done manual firmware upgrade. Again am able to gain root access, cannot remember here but do not think it reset pw to root, it appeared to remain the same as 1st fw upgrade (per instructions) to gain original root access from tutoril atsahs (i of course as stated previously was able to maunually change that) Also did not change ip address of NAS after (what i thnk was a successful) debian install. Now this is where I begin to get a little lost. Im so used to a GUI to work in and am unfamiliar with linux cmds up until about 24 hrs ago when I have been cramming my brain with every tutorial out there.

Nothing tells me debian is there

in putty I appear to be working with busy box (BusyBox v1.1.1 (2011.01.11-10:26+0000) multi-call binary) when i type busy box into putty.

Per instructions:
After applying the SP, the system starts with a Debian Lenny minimal
system (basic system binaries and SSH daemon only). However, you are
free to install additional packages via the Debian package management
system. For configuration, you'll have to use your favourite text
editor.

debian package manager? is it already there? how to i get it or use it?
text editor..what is it need for? am i using it on windows side or from putty/winscp?

as stated before I can gain root access with my chosen pw
It works in putty
in winscp i can access via SCP but not SFTP is this a problem?

Finally i was able to (from busy box) use wget command to acquire the files I think i need per Tifs blackarmor post

I have: openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b18-1.8.7-2~lenny1_amd64.deb
ffmpeg_0.svn20080206-18+lenny3_amd64.deb
serviio-0.5.2-linux.tar.gz

all 3 files reside in the /root/tmp directory

Anything I try to do they will not install... I am definately doing something minorly wrong or I am way in over my head and am missing huge steps here...

When trying to install I was getting (tryinig this in putty and cmd from winscp)

I get in return : var/lib/dpkg/status does not exist

So i manually created path in winscp then run

/tmp $ dpkg -i openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b18-1.8.7-2~lenny1_amd64.deb

dpkg: Package openjdk-6-jre-headless depends on openjdk-6-jre-lib, which is not installed or flagged to be installed

then try

/tmp $ dpkg -i -F openjdk-6-jre-headless_6b18-1.8.7-2~lenny1_amd64.deb

segmentation fault

Please help, I know as a linux newb this long post and I are looked at as a pain in the a$$ but in all my windows yrs ive always been a contributor to these types of forums and will troubleshoot for weeks on end to solve. This animal that is linux has my head spinning. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this NAS is useless to me as is being that (yes as a storage/backup device it is sufficient BUT all of my media to stream throughout my home is useless residing on there)
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Re: BlackarmorNAS220 + How To:

What you are asking is quite specific to your NAS (the package manager stuff), so I think the forums for that will be a far better place to find what you need.

That FFmpeg will also be too old to be useful (looks like it's from 2008) so I think you'll need to compile your own. This means you'll need to install the development toolchain also. As a total noob I'm afraid to say that your chances of success without a step by step guide are somewhat low. I can't write such a guide because I don't have that NAS. Even though I managed to install Serviio on my Synology unit, writing the guide took a very long time and it's constantly evolving.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!

Return to NAS installation