FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

No srt subtitles shown from Serviio 1.9 on QNAP

<<

edsic

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:21 am

No srt subtitles shown from Serviio 1.9 on QNAP

Hello,

I installed Serviio 1.9 (Serviio_1.9_x86_64.qpkg) on QNAP TS-251+ with QTS 4.3.
Java: JRE 8.144.1

Videos can be played by Kodi on my laptop, but I never see subtitles coming from the srt files which are stored next to the movie files (movie.en.srt).
Subtitles are enabled in Serviio console.
Please advise.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: No srt subtitles shown from Serviio 1.9 on QNAP

try to remove the .en. from the file name. Or set en as the preferred language in the console
<<

edsic

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I had not read the documentation closely enough.

So, with DLNA is it limited to one subtitle file ?
Do you plan to support looking for subtitles in a sub-folder of the movie folder ?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:07 pm

There is not even a standard for subtitles in DLNA, everyone does it differently.

But afaik, yes only 1 subtitle.
<<

Cybmole

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:39 pm

zip wrote:try to remove the .en. from the file name. Or set en as the preferred language in the console

i appreciate I am jumping into an old thread but I had the same problem this weekend.
My internet cable was accidentally cut so I was trying to watch stuff on Local LAN. Plex is useless without internet so I resurrected serviio ( v1.9 pro) but I could not get subtitles to appear, even afting changing the default device preferences to Roku or Samsung j series. . I had remembered that external srt files do not link if using default device profiles.
then after more testing i realised the problem was with en.srt naming conventions
if i have show.mkv and show.srt, all is good, but show.mkv with show.en.srt does not pair up. I tried all the "set english as preferred..." fixes but no joy. I had to manually remove all the "en." bits.
tedious and frustrating because plex plugins are set tup to add those bits!

so will there ever be a proper fix.
name.lang.srt is an accepted naming system everywhere else!

I also noticed in passing that when looking for a Samsung Tv profile, the most recent is for J series. that is 2016!
will there ever be optimized ones for 2017, 2018, 2019 models ? and for the Current Roku range
my newest TV is a Samsung R series ( I think they skipped a few letters! )

PS my server is running on a windows 10 PC
it worked fine ( with no internet) for 24 hours then serviio kept stopping / saying "not network between PC and the tv ( both wired to same router). I suspect some DHCP leases expired so one of both of PC/ TV was in an argument with my router over what to use, and I was only able to get it working via LAN for day 2 of no internet by setting static Ip addresses of 192.168.0.xxx at both ends. A "feature" of virginmedia routers is that they don't seem to like issuing / renewing DHCP if internet is down .
internet is fixed no so all is good, except for this en.srt issue

I will check if I have latest serviio server now that I can get online but I think I already have

Return to NAS installation