<<

ctrippel

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:20 am

Serviio Log Link on Synology DSM 6.2-23739

Synology NAS 412+
DSM 6.2-23739 (and Update 1)
Serviio 1.9.2-0035

The Log Viewer link (previously accessible from the Package Center > Installed > Serviio "control panel") is no longer present.

All 'links' to Serviio from this control panel only take you to the web interface (http://<SYNOLOGY>:23423/console/#/app/status).
Unfortunately, viewing the Serviio logs is not a feature of the web interface console.

Anyone happen to know if this was a change to the control panel in the Serviio package or a new Synology limitation?
I found the log viewer extremely helpful when trying to track down Metadata Extraction problems (i.e. naming conventions)!
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:58 am

Re: Serviio Log Link on Synology DSM 6.2-23739

Back from holiday I've updated my NAS to DSM 6.2 and I cannot find any mention of what Synology have done to the logs. Their developer guide is still not updated from DSM 6.0. Frankly given that company's abysmal record on GPL violations (theft basically), they're lucky to have any developers. Breaking package log support via their management GUI without apparently publishing what they changed/broke certainly isn't helping.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:50 am

Re: Serviio Log Link on Synology DSM 6.2-23739

I received this reply from Synology Support when I enquired why Package logs had been removed in DSM 6.2:
The original design of this is intended to help customers with debug log when there is a problem with the package.
This allows customers to troubleshoot their own problems.
Unfortunately, later we found that almost all the suites are directly used by developers to observe the log.
These logs will only cause confusion and misunderstanding for customers, so we removed the function that displays the log in the UI.

So it appears that Synology deliberately removed the feature because it doesn't care about Package Station user experience. Support also mentioned that there was no update to the developer guide since it was the company's opinion that nothing significant had changed. This decision is baffling because it was always clear that the package log was for specific packages (not the whole NAS), and Synology never provided any support for third party packages in any case so it's not like it caused an additional support burden.

On the basis of Synology's illogical decisions at the customer's expense, and its total disregard for its GPL obligations to publish source code and build instructions (for the Open Source projects that its business literally depends on), I have to recommend that people buy another brand of NAS in future.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!

Return to NAS installation