FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio server on WD My Book Live

<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: Serviio server on WD My Book Live

muszaj wrote:My book live 1TB.
I'd like to use it also for watching online content. Would its 800MHz CPU be enogh for transcoding online media?

yer dont see why not, most online stuff is only remuxed anyways rather than transcoded.

NOTE: i would look into the synology NAS units to though as they seem rather good, talk to patters hes teh NAS genie here :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

muszaj

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:16 am

thanks, I go for WD first, then let's see how it works for me.
Panasonic Viera D25
<<

nunz56

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:36 am

I have just installed Serviio on My Book Live following the Wiki instructions by Jazzman. All went well, I think.
I am having a VERY DIFFICULT time trying to access any type of Serviio console in MyBook Live. I have read and followed several links for:

Web UI using viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2427

and tried to understand these instructions;
10) Access server through the console, use http://www.serviio.org/component/content/article/21#q2 as a reference.

but I can't figure out how to make any of these work. Can anyone provide a step by step or more detail on any install options that worked for them?
I'm new to the forum but have tried Serviio on my Mac and it worked great! I would like to get it working on MyBook Live since that is where my content is stored.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated :)
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:30 pm

console version and server version must match and as far as i know 0.6.2 is not supported by teh webui makers at the current time, so your only option is android of remote consoles.

http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=serviidroid <-- android

http://www.serviio.org/component/content/article/21#q2 <-- standard remote console.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

nunz56

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks for the reply Cerberus!

I do not have an Android device so that option is out for me. I could use the standard remote console but that's what i don't understand how to make it work. Where is the "serviio.remoteHost" file to set the variable? I can't find it on the MyBook Live anywhere.

Also, in reference to "How to pass system properties to Serviio" I want to use a Mac (Safari browser) to access the console.

In summary, Serviio is installed on MyBook Live and I want have console access from my Mac, Safari browser. Is that possible?
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:23 pm

There are no API differences between 0.6.1 and 0.6.2 so the web ui do work (they initially required a version check parameter to be changed) the one you are using should work.

To use the standard console, you need to install it (just the console part) on your computer and edit the ServiioConsole.exe.vmoptions file in C:\Program Files\Serviio\bin to include the IP address of your WD My Book e.g.
  Code:
-Dserviio.remoteHost=192.168.15.100

You can only use a web browser to access serviio if you install a web ui such as the one you previously refrenced. The standard console is a java application.

EDIT with mac instructions

Open up Serviio-Console.app

Edit Contents\Info.plist
  Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>CFBundleName</key>
    <string>Serviio-Console</string>
    <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
    <string>0.6.2</string>
    <key>serviio.remoteHost</key>          <---- Add this
    <string>192.168.15.100</string>        <---- Add this

If that doesn't work, there is a second <dict> tree later on in the file under java which might do it, sorry I don't use OS X.
Last edited by will on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

nunz56

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Thanks will, that helps! I think I understand now. I will try it later today.

Thanks again for the quick response!
<<

nunz56

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:25 pm

will wrote:Re: Serviio server on WD My Book Live
There are no API differences between 0.6.1 and 0.6.2 so the web ui do work (they initially required a version check parameter to be changed) the one you are using should work.

To use the standard console, you need to install it (just the console part) on your computer and edit the ServiioConsole.exe.vmoptions file in C:\Program Files\Serviio\bin to include the IP address of your WD My Book e.g.

Code:
-Dserviio.remoteHost=192.168.15.100

You can only use a web browser to access serviio if you install a web ui such as the one you previously refrenced. The standard console is a java application.

EDIT with mac instructions

Open up Serviio-Console.app

Edit Contents\Info.plist

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>Serviio-Console</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>0.6.2</string>
<key>serviio.remoteHost</key> <---- Add this
<string>192.168.15.100</string> <---- Add this

If that doesn't work, there is a second <dict> tree later on in the file under java which might do it, sorry I don't use OS X.

Finally had a chance to try this past weekend. Works GREAT....downloaded the Mac Console.app and modified as above. Sometimes the interface doesn't open right away but eventually connects. Thanks :)

Still having a couple of minor issues:
1) My Book Live will not sleep when Serviio is running. Any way to make Serviio sleep with My Book Live?

2) Somtimes having sluggish playback issues. Need to restart Serviio and player(Samsung BD-D6500). Works fine one day and the next day playback freezes or doesn't even start. I happened to check the status of the server via ssh when playback was normal and sluggish and got the same result listed below:

MyBookLive:~# /etc/init.d/serviio status
Serviio Media Server should be up with primary PID 4092 but it is not running.
MyBookLive:~# /etc/init.d/serviio start
Starting Serviio media server daemon: Serviio Media Server.
Serviio Media Server should be up with primary PID 4261 but it is not running

Any ideas?
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:34 pm

1) nope

2) NAS gets bogged down possibly by a library refresh at same time you trying to play a file, turning off auto updating of library should solve this.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

nunz56

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:50 pm

Cerberus wrote:1) nope

2) NAS gets bogged down possibly by a library refresh at same time you trying to play a file, turning off auto updating of library should solve this.

1)Any plans for future releases?

2)I that what this means?
Serviio Media Server should be up with primary PID 4092 but it is not running.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:47 pm

1) nope would defeat object of serviio if it went to sleep as it would then not be availible for devices on the network.

2) No thats just linux being silly.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

nunz56

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks for all the help and quick response :!: :D

I've tried many other DLNA servers and this seems to be the BEST! :D
<<

muszaj

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:53 pm

Hello there,

I got my MBL yesterday and was able to get Serviio up & running relatively easily thanks to the great help provided here by thejazzman, Cerberus, zip and so on. :)
(though in fact I had no idea before what "SSH" could be :lol: )

So a bunch of noob questions will follow from me. Here is the 1st:

How can I add groovy plugins to Serviio on My Book Live?

I can reach Serviio with ServiiDroid console if necessary.
Panasonic Viera D25
<<

muszaj

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:43 am

OK, so I realized in order to install plugins I need to login to SSH and

cd /usr/local/serviio/serviio-0.6.2/plugins
nano SvtPlay.groovy

Then Ctrl+C Ctrl+V the text in SvtPlay.groovy* file and save.

*(of course replace SvtPlay.groovy with the plugin name you're installing) ;)

I couldn't try it with my TV yet (waiting for my new router :) ) but Serviio log says it's installed.
Panasonic Viera D25
<<

nunz56

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Had to replace My Book Live with a new drive yesterday because my Time Machine backup quit working. I had Serviio Version 0.6.2 working on my old drive with WD Firmware Version 02.10.09-124. I can no longer get that version. The new drive Firmware update is Version 02.10.12-129.

After reading the firmware notes it doesn't appear there are any major changes that should affect it, but that's just a guess.

Any idea if Serviio woill work with this latest firmware?
WD Firmware Version 02.10.09-124 :(
<<

joaorsfonseca

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:20 pm

Hi!!

I'm trying to install serviion on mine my book live but i am stuck on step 8c) Set files to launch on startup

Keep getting this message: Serviio Media Server should be up with primary PID 2495 but it is not running.

An i fact, serviio isn't running. I can't see it when use AV Media Controller from Developer Tools for UPnP Technologies :(

How can i continue with this installation? Many thanks..
<<

towson

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:18 am

Guys, would somebody help resolve the issue, will be much appreciated.

At the end of installation, after entering 'apt-get install ffmpeg', I'm getting this error:
  Code:
dpkg: warning: files list file for package `ramlog' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `libparted0' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
(Reading database ... 22677 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc-bin 2.11.2-2 (using .../libc-bin_2.11.3-2_powerpc.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libc-bin ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc-bin_2.11.3-2_powerpc.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf', which is also in package wd-lib 01.03.02-67335
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc-bin_2.11.3-2_powerpc.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

So, what I've probably done wrong? I've been following the wiki instruction step-by-step.
<<

j_p_harrison

Serviio newbie

Post Tue May 01, 2012 8:18 am

towson wrote:Guys, would somebody help resolve the issue, will be much appreciated.

At the end of installation, after entering 'apt-get install ffmpeg', I'm getting this error:
  Code:
dpkg: warning: files list file for package `ramlog' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `libparted0' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.
(Reading database ... 22677 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc-bin 2.11.2-2 (using .../libc-bin_2.11.3-2_powerpc.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libc-bin ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc-bin_2.11.3-2_powerpc.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf', which is also in package wd-lib 01.03.02-67335
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc-bin_2.11.3-2_powerpc.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

So, what I've probably done wrong? I've been following the wiki instruction step-by-step.

I'm having the same issue here. I had everything working before being lured to the latest firmware by the promise of greater performance (Serviio had been loading my media library very slowly).

Despite the above, I proceeded with the installation and set up the Serviio daemon to run at start up. Serviio runs okay, but when I refresh for new media a series of errors is reported to the log file confirms that ffmpeg is not installed. I wouldn't have thought this would be a problem...

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks to those who provided us with Serviio, and to those offering support on these forums.
<<

j_p_harrison

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 04, 2012 8:16 am

Hi again,

After a bit of trawling I've decided it may be easier to revert back to an older firmware, one that I know works (albeit slowly).
A problem has been tracking down the link to the old firmware *.deb file, as the WD site links automatically to the newest firmware.
After a bit of trial and error, I found it.

For those who follow, the link (still working as of today) is:
http://download.wdc.com/nas/apnc-021012 ... 120308.deb

As I've said, I had Serviio up and going on this older firmware, but performance was an issue which was why I tried updating.
If anyone has a suggestion as to why Serviio may be slow, please let me know.
Even when tracking the server starting up (via the tail command), it takes a really... really long time to even load up device profiles.

Still, kudos the the peeps who got it running on the MBL! It's the best option we have for running MKVs over DLNA - though slow starting up and navigating, there is no lag when streaming The Godfather, 20gig large... over wireless.

Edit: Though I could download this firmware, I got and 'invalid firmware package' result when I tried to revert. Balls. If anyone else has more luck let me know!
<<

thejazzman

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu May 10, 2012 11:11 am

I would guess that the newest firmware updated those libraries and is why it's causing an issue with the ffmpeg install that's expecting a previous version. That or it's possible that something got corrupted in the install process. If possible try restoring to the current firmware and reinstalling from step 1.
The corrupt download message for the previous version listed above might be that you downloaded the .deb file directly which is meant for the device to download as part of the automatic download and not the file they mean for use to download for the manual install.

So to help out, here are the zip files that you could normally download. I'll list the ones I know for the most recent versions. Newest on the bottom if there was any question.
02.10.09-124 http://download.wdc.com/nas/apnc-021009 ... 111113.zip
02.10.12-129 http://download.wdc.com/nas/apnc-021012 ... 120308.zip
02.11.09-053 http://download.wdc.com/nas/apnc-021109 ... 120413.zip

I'm still using 02.10.09-124 myself.
PreviousNext

Return to NAS installation