FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

syn ds211j and Samsung D-Series Blu-Ray/TV

<<

Awantos

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:59 am

syn ds211j and Samsung D-Series Blu-Ray/TV

Hello atm im using serviio on my windows PC as server.

But now i think about buying a synology ds211j. Im using alot of MKV Files with DTS sound, i also have same old strange avi files which arent running on every device (works with serviio on my pc + samsung d series bd player).

My question is, will the NAS be able to transcode/muxe all this stuff, does it even needs to be transcode? I dont want to buy a NAS, if it cant stream most of my files.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:51 pm

Re: syn ds211j and Samsung D-Series Blu-Ray/TV

As a general rule, a NAS lacks the CPU power to realtime transcode video (e.g. DivX to MPEG2). It can remux the container though (MKV to M2TS) as long as the video stream is copied without changes, and it can generally manage audio transcoding, though even multichannel sound can be overwhelming (I mostly have non-supported audio downmixed to 2 channel).

So to use a NAS as a DLNA server you need a renderer with good native format support: e.g Sony Bluray or Oppo Bluray. I'm not sure how the Samsung BD players are, but I would guess that, like the TVs, they ought to be good. The 2010 series or newer Sony Bravia TVs are also good, though they currently have issues with DivX with a certain type of mp3 audio.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

Awantos

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: syn ds211j and Samsung D-Series Blu-Ray/TV

Thanks alot for your answer, i think the BD players are close to equal cause its also the same profil at serviio.

I will try my luck with th ds211j.

Return to NAS installation