FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Error after profile change Synology DS212j

<<

silv3r

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:34 am

Error after profile change Synology DS212j

Sorry if this would be more appropriate in the "Transcoding" section.

A quick summary of my current problem: I installed Serviio through the Package Installer on my Synology 212j, and it worked fine; then I went and made a change to the profiles file to update transcoding for some codec issues I'm having. After I made the change Serviio doesn't work anymore, saying:
  Code:
"Cannot connect to Serviio Server, it does not seem to be running. Exiting...
Rest error to "cpu-cores" : (0)
Rest error to "profiles" : (0)
Rest error to "metadataLanguages" : (0)
Rest error to "browsingCategoriesLanguages" : (0)
Rest error to "descriptiveMetadataExtractors" : (0)
Rest error to "categoryVisibilityTypes" : (0)
Rest error to "onlineRepositoryTypes" : (0)
Rest error to "onlineContentQualities" : (0)
Rest error to "status" : (0)

Now from reading around; this may all be very simply fixed by restarting Serviio Server. But I've got no friggin idea how to do this (I've restarted the NAS itself and this didn't help), considering whenever I try to run the program in the Diskstation box it just comes up with that error and doesn't let me do anything else. I've also tried going to Package Center and selecting "Run" and "Stop" and "Run" again. Potentially there's the option to do this through the Terminal (I'm using PuTTY) but I have no idea how.

Okay, detailed background:
The transcoding changes I was putting in were because when I try to run some .avi files through the server on my Sony Bravia, the file is not supported. I checked into the codecs for files that do work, and files that don't, and they all have the "XviD" codec; except the ones that DO work have the codec "xvid" (note all lowercase) while ones that don't work have "Xvid", "XviD" or "XVID" (note varying case).

To try and fix this I went into the profiles config file through terminal (PuTTY) as root user:
  Code:
 Diskstation>cd /volume1/@appstore/Serviio/config
Diskstation>vi profiles.xml

and added in (under both ps3 and Sony Bravia profiles [I believe #4 and #9 respectively] in amongst the "all other" video transcoding sections [the section dealing with ogg etc.]):
  Code:
[b]For PS3 profile
                         <!-- all other unplayable files just transcode to mpeg2 -->
                         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" targetVCodec="mpeg2video">
                                <Matches container="flv" />
                                <Matches container="avi" vCodec="Xvid" />
                                <Matches container="avi" vCodec="XviD" />
                                <Matches container="avi" vCodec="XVID" />
                                <Matches container="ogg" />
                        </Video>

[b]For Sony Bravia Profile
                        <!-- All Others video/audio codec will be transcoded into mpeg2ts, mpeg2video and ac3 audio -->
                        <!-- expected profile MPEG_TS_SD_EU/MPEG_TS_SD_NA/MPEG_TS_SD_KO -->
                                <Matches container="asf" />
                                <Matches container="avi" vCodec="Xvid" />
                                <Matches container="avi" vCodec="XviD" />
                                <Matches container="avi" vCodec="XVID" />
                                <Matches container="mp4" />
                                <Matches container="matroska" />
                                <Matches container="flv" />
                                <Matches container="wtv" />
                                <Matches container="ogg" />
                        </Video>

then of course hit esc and entered ":wq"

By the way, in running the terminal through PuTTY I was using UTF-8 character set.

Hopefully that's enough information. If you ask me to provide log files or something, please note I am a serious beginner to linux and, well basically everything I've gone through in the past couple of days, so could you please link me through to some explanation of what I should be doing to a) get useful logs; and b)extract them to post here. I have already changed the config to enable DEBUG per the "Read this first" post.

Any help around getting this whole thing to work again would be much appreciated.
<<

silv3r

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Error after profile change Synology DS212j

Okay, so I completely uninstalled Serviio and Java, and re-installed them both tonight. Did not make any changes to profiles or anything like that and Serviio isn't working (giving the same errors as in my first post). So it appears this has nothing to do with my transcoding changes.

[Edit] Found part of the problem. Apparently when I stop Serviio running in my program manager within the Synology interface, it either doesn't shut down Serviio, or terminates it incorrectly. So what I have to do is go in via terminal, list the processes, see which ones Serviio is running and kill them, then attempt to run Serviio in the Synology manager (resulting in errors again) so it realises it got killed and didn't shut down correctly, then restart my whole server and it all works again.

What a bloody run around. And of course now when I'm trying to access files from my TV it only shows a couple of them, even though when I look in the logs I can see it has identified some of these files which aren't showing up.[/Edit]

Return to NAS installation