FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Recommendations for Panasonic TV and a NAS running Serviio ?

<<

paulculley

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Recommendations for Panasonic TV and a NAS running Serviio ?

Hi

After being very very impressed with how Serviio handles all of my media, I'm now thinking about getting a NAS up and running with Serviio acting as a server so I no longer have to keep the laptop on to stream media to the TV.

Do you guys have any recommendations for NAS streaming to a Panasonic Viera TV ?

I already have an old Iomega Home Network Drive which having read through the forums is locked down and therefore unlikely to be able to run Serviio, hence the new purchase.

Many thanks

Paul
<<

KeifOS

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Recommendations for Panasonic TV and a NAS running Servi

Can't fault my qnap, although they are a little pricey, and even more-so since HD prices went up, but then I guess that is the same for all NAS's these days.

The midrange ones mostly have 1.8Ghz dual core Atoms are are good for transcoding most things I've thrown at it. The Home ones have 800Mhz - 2Ghz Marvell CPU's, so a bit more of a range depending on how much you want to spend.

The OS is open for you to tinker with, or you can just rely on qnap packages as they emerge...
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:57 pm

paulculley wrote:Hi

After being very very impressed with how Serviio handles all of my media, I'm now thinking about getting a NAS up and running with Serviio acting as a server so I no longer have to keep the laptop on to stream media to the TV.

Do you guys have any recommendations for NAS streaming to a Panasonic Viera TV ?

I already have an old Iomega Home Network Drive which having read through the forums is locked down and therefore unlikely to be able to run Serviio, hence the new purchase.

Many thanks

Paul

Panasonic requires lots of transcoding so a nas isnt really a good idea, your better off buy a lower spec pc and installing windows home server on it and using that.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

KeifOS

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:02 am

I can really only speak for my V20B, but most of what I play doesn't need transcoding. There are issues with MKV files, but doesn't the GT30B play them natively? Pretty much anything I have needs transcoding to my Sony however.

Streaming online sources uses very little CPU from what I've seen also.

I would say if you are after buying a nas regardless, then spend a little more for a better CPU, other than that I would agree with Cerberus and just stick to running serviio on that.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:43 am

KeifOS wrote:I can really only speak for my V20B, but most of what I play doesn't need transcoding. There are issues with MKV files, but doesn't the GT30B play them natively? Pretty much anything I have needs transcoding to my Sony however.

yes GT30 supports MKV, the 20 series (2010) and 30 series (2011) are very different in their support and require different profiles to be selected.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Xtream

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:03 pm

hi!

i've just bought a synology DS212+ (cpu 2ghz, 512 mo RAM) with 2x2to (raid 1).
i've installed serviio on it and i can stream my media with DLNA on my Panasonic G20 TV (with profile Panasonic TV include in serviio) .
my music (mp3), photos (jpg) and videos (avi divx, mp4, wmv, mkv (with transcoding on the fly)) are all OK.
1080p videos are OK (mkv or divx) even with ac3 5.1 sound.

hope it can help you to choose your NAS.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:37 pm

Xtream wrote:hi!

i've installed serviio on it and i can stream my media with DLNA on my Panasonic G20 TV (with profile Panasonic TV include in serviio) .
my music (mp3), photos (jpg) and videos (avi divx, mp4, wmv, mkv (with transcoding on the fly)) are all OK.

nice xtreme tahnks for that info, i will remember that for future reference.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

paulculley

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:59 pm

Xtream - many thanks - nice to know what options are about ... just gotta persuade the other half that its an essential purchase ;) !! any tips on that one muchly appreciated too !
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:03 pm

paulculley wrote:Xtream - many thanks - nice to know what options are about ... just gotta persuade the other half that its an essential purchase ;) !! any tips on that one muchly appreciated too !

your on your own with your wife i like my manhood attached im not stupid enough to upset women.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

paulculley

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:39 pm

:lol:

yep .. me too ...
<<

Midland45

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Just another vote for a Synology NAS. I have a 211j and running Serviio my panasonic tv plays pretty much any video. Without Serviio I was limited to AVI and Mpeg.
<<

kappclark

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:36 pm

Xtream wrote:hi!

Does this come with hard drives ? It is priced about the same as the Microserver from HP ..
<<

muszaj

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:36 pm

I used* my Panny with WD My Book Live, several different formats worked well, especially HD live streams! (I was quite surprised in fact :)
Some mp4's/flv's stopped after several minutes, I might not have set the temp folder properly(?)

*I was playing with SSH until bricked MBL :cry: But I get a replacement tomorrow :roll:
Panasonic Viera D25

Return to NAS installation