FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio on a RPi ? (Raspberry Pi)

<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:14 pm

Re: Serviio on a RPi ? (Raspberry Pi)

doh that was slack of me ! Well spotted and thanks :)
<<

jadeskye

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:28 am

I have tested it streaming to 3 seperate devices at once. It's surprisingly able to keep up with this! The raspberry pi really is capable of some incredible computation.
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Anyone care to make an image file of your SD card contents for Linux noobs?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 26&t=13664
Sony Bravia 2010 52NX803 - Sony PS3 - Xbox 360
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

Corinake

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:13 pm

NX3 wrote:The apt-get ffmpeg won't trancsode. I built toolchain and got it working on a Ubuntu box and built the executables but they didn't work on Raspbian. After a bit of fudging I got them all built on the RPi itself and now it transcodes !

I've mainly using to convert mkv to avc so just a container swap but it still takes it a lot longer to do than my ubuntu pc + sata v RPI + USB 2 HDD (WD Elements). Still its all workable :)

I've update the wiki for ffmpeg
http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=how ... an&#ffmpeg

Hi
Got serviio running on on my pi using the wiki guide but will be nice if you make a img for card because is take TOOO MUCH TIME to compile all :)
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Mon May 20, 2013 8:40 am

@Corinake or NX3
Have you got a working img file of Serviio i can flash my SDCard on?

Definately think it needs to run Marks WebUI so Apache web server will also need to run on it
Serviio running on QNAP NAS 639 Pro - 1.6 Intel Dual Core - 2GB RAM and QNAP NAS 121 - 2Ghz ARM Marvell - 1GB RAM
Console using ServiiDroid for Android, ServiiMetro and ServiiWP for Windows Phone and WebUI for iOS
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Sat May 25, 2013 6:18 pm

I don't as that misses the fun of learning about RPi, raspian, compiling etc... :-) the essence of RPi really.... Also where to host, nah its all about the joy of learning !! :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:59 am

i can host :D
<<

grantonstar

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm considering giving this a go on my RaspberryPi. I have a few questions I hope you can answer:

1. How is the performance? Would it be able to run alongside samba, nfs, openvpn and transmission?
2. One of the frustrating things with minidlna is that it groups all video together, can you separate into sections for TV, movies etc?
3. How is the meta information shared? Does the DLNA client need to support specific extensions to support it? Can you effectively create a DLNA based Plex?
4. I'm expecting transcoding to not be an option, can it be disabled easily?
5. Do the plugins generally work OK on the Pi?

Thanks!
<<

Xmantium

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:11 am

1. Yes, if your running Raspbian
2. Yes, one of the best features of Serviio
3. Try it on your windows on your linux and you'll be very impressed!
4. Yes. As its headless you need to be running either the PHP web UI or use ServiiDroid/ServiiMetro on your phone
5. Should do. :)
<<

grantonstar

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks for the info. I've given it a try. So far, so good though only scanned in a fraction of my library. Speed is a little slow but I'll do some more testing. Any recommended DLNA Android apps for Android to display all the metadata?

Is there a way to customise frequency of scanning per folder? I'd like to check one directory every 5 minutes but for all my others, once a day would be more than sufficient.
<<

grantonstar

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Am noticing highish CPU load, normally idling around 70%. Is this normal? I have refresh set to every 20 minutes.
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:44 am

grantonstar wrote:Is there a way to customise frequency of scanning per folder? I'd like to check one directory every 5 minutes but for all my others, once a day would be more than sufficient.

Nope
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:45 am

grantonstar wrote:Am noticing highish CPU load, normally idling around 70%. Is this normal? I have refresh set to every 20 minutes.

Where are you measuring cpu load ?
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:47 am

grantonstar wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm considering giving this a go on my RaspberryPi. I have a few questions I hope you can answer:

1. How is the performance? Would it be able to run alongside samba, nfs, openvpn and transmission?
2. One of the frustrating things with minidlna is that it groups all video together, can you separate into sections for TV, movies etc?
3. How is the meta information shared? Does the DLNA client need to support specific extensions to support it? Can you effectively create a DLNA based Plex?
4. I'm expecting transcoding to not be an option, can it be disabled easily?
5. Do the plugins generally work OK on the Pi?

Thanks!

1, fine with samba, some other services but you'd have to try your combination
2, never used it
3, not a feature I use
4, yes
5, it struggled
<<

grantonstar

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:57 am

NX3 wrote:
grantonstar wrote:Am noticing highish CPU load, normally idling around 70%. Is this normal? I have refresh set to every 20 minutes.

Where are you measuring cpu load ?

top mostly.
<<

mramalho

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi guys,

I just got a Raspberry Pi Model B to turn into a media server. I installed ffmpeg from the raspbian repositories, launched serviio, stuck a USB drive and was hoping to see some fine 720p/1080p quality on my TV, but when I tried to play MKV files it says that the file is not supported. AVI/MPG works just fine.

I read here that installing ffmpeg from the raspbian repositories would make Serviio not transcode and thought that maybe that was the problem, so I compiled ffmpeg following the instructions on the Wiki. The only thing I did differently was compiling libx264 with the additional flag "--no-opencl" to fix the error: "libx264 was not found" when running ./configure on ffmpeg.

After 4 hours of intense CPU usage, ffmpeg finally finished compiling, so I ran make install, and then ran Serviio again, hoping that I would finally be able to see MKV files on my TV. Unfortunately, I get the same "File not supported" message. When I run Serviio on my desktop, I can see MKV files without any issues.

Can someone advise me on what to do?

Thanks,

Mauricio

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if I plug the USB drive directly to the TV, MKV files can be played.

EDIT 2: It's a Samsung TV (Profile Samsung TV / Player C/D/E/F-series). Tried disabling transcoding, same problem.

EDIT 3: If I use VLC on a computer to find Universal PnP devices on the network and play MKV files from Serviio on the Raspberry, I can see them just fine.
Last edited by mramalho on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

mramalho

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:11 am

jadeskye wrote:Hello NX3 (and guys) i've got serviio running on on my pi using the wiki guide but i can't get it to start with my pi on startup. I've copied the script and made adjustments to make sure the files are pointed at my serviio location.

# !/bin/bash
#

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: serviio
# Required-Start: $syslog
# Required-Stop: $syslog
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: serviio server
# Description:
#
### END INIT INFO

User=pi

case "$1" in

stop)
echo "Stop Serviio..."
su -l $User -c "/home/pi/serviio/serviio-1.2/bin/serviio.sh -stop" > /dev/null 2>&1$
;;
start)
# start Serviio in background mode
su -l $User -c "/home/pi/serviio/serviio-1.2/bin/serviio.sh" > /dev/null 2>&1 &
echo "Start Serviio..."
;;
restart)
$0

stop

i've attempted to give it permission to be executable :

sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/serviio

and registered it to start on startup

sudo update-rc.d serviio defaults

but unfortunately despite the fact when i manually start the script it works perfectly. it refuses to start on startup.

Any guesses? =D

I also have this issue. I copied the latest script "version" that's in the Wiki, gave it exec permissions and when I run /etc/init.d/serviio start, there is no error but the process is not running in the background afterwards. If I copy the command from the script

Code:
su -l pi -c "/home/pi/serviio/bin/serviio.sh" > /dev/null 2>&1 &

and run it in the console, the process starts and terminates right away but I get this running in the background:

root 20946 0.0 0.2 5176 1208 pts/0 T 11:07 0:00 su -l pi -c /home/pi/serviio/bin/serviio.sh

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks,

Mauricio
<<

mramalho

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Well,

I just installed minidlna and it works without any issues. I prefer Serviio, though.

Cheers,

Mauricio
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Mini dlna is a better choice to be honest as its so light wreight compared to Serviio. I only got Serviio running as I wanted to transcode (I know its too much on a RPI) and the folder permissions.

Serviio on RPI can't really transcode, it doesn't have the processing power. It can however change the header of a file e.g a mkv to a AVC for e.g Sony that will do AVC but not mkv. This was my target output device...

The issues with your Samsung sound like the tv can't do the file format over DLNA and Serviio can't cope with real time full transcode to the required format. You might be better off using your RPI as a XBMC device to overcome the short comings of the Samsung tv.
<<

Spirda

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Hello

I buy Raspberry PI B for use serviio DLNA to my TV. I Installed by instructions on the wiki.

Music, pictures, mkv work. But the subtitle does not work. In concole I have subtitles enabled.

Advise anyone?

thnx
PreviousNext

Return to NAS installation